What's the deal with people mumbling?

beat_truck

Addicted Member
Minor rant time. Why do so many people mumble these days? Laziness? What?:dunno:

I have very good hearing and still have to ask people to repeat themselves.

I had to take my mom to the ER last night, and you all know how miserable that is. We were there going on 6 hours, and the psych doctor was asking her questions, mumbling, with his face aimed at his lap. She asked him to repeat his questions at least three times, and I just loudly and obnoxiously blurted out without really thinking "Speak up... She can't f*cking hear you!!".

What the hell? He's a supposed professional talking to an older physically and emotionally distressed woman, and he insists on mumbling to the point where I could hardly hear him!?!

Ugh.

Hey, good question, bt!

Did a bit of a delve into this topic, and found out several POV's out there today.

For example, didn't know that there's a genre of Rap of recent called, "Mumble Rap" in which the singers try to mumble their words. So, maybe some of the younger types are mimicking their types?

Others thought that overall, society has become more informal, and with speech included. Some feel that no longer is good grammar, enunciation or pronunciation is important. Guess the divisions in class structure becomes more transparent in time?

Still others say that sight used in the electronic devices has had an impact resulting in a lesser use of verbal communication.

Some workers think they tend to modify their speech patterns, esp in the service industry, and will lower the volume they use in their jobs. Accordingly, they just a carry over from one situation to another, maybe causing a problem when talking.

Personally, I still appreciate someone who speaks with clarity, but as others standards have fallen, maybe the mumble can be added to this list.

Q

Last edited:
In some cases I've observed, I could tell the speaker felt as if they had to say something but really couldn't think of anything to say relevant to the conversation so they mumbled some inconsequential statement.

Beat-truck,

I am curious. Did the doctor speak clearer after you called him out? How did he react? After six hours I can only imagine how frustrated you where.

A matter of style for some.
Marlon-Brando-James-Dean_640x345_acf_cropped-1.jpg

Loose fitting dentures, and speaking loudly and clearly sometimes has consequences.

I have a brother in law that mumbles and its got to the point where i go out if my way to not talk to the guy.
You just can't have a conversation with someone you can't understand. :dunno:

I wonder if that is more my mom's problem than her actual hearing. Occasionally, some things you say to her just do not seem to register. I've noticed it more since she had a mild stroke a few years ago.

I also had an aunt who passed away not that long ago, and after she had a stroke, it was sometimes like she completely missed the beginnings of certain sentences. That was frustrating at times. Of course she later spiraled into dementia.:no: The doctors say Mom is OK so far, but I hope and pray that she doesn't get dementia/alzheimer's as it seems to run in the family some.

I wonder if that is more my mom's problem than her actual hearing. Occasionally, some things you say to her just do not seem to register. I've noticed it more since she had a mild stroke a few years ago.

I also had an aunt who passed away not that long ago, and after she had a stroke, it was sometimes like she completely missed the beginnings of certain sentences. That was frustrating at times. Of course she later spiraled into dementia.:no: The doctors say Mom is OK so far, but I hope and pray that she doesn't get dementia/alzheimer's as it seems to run in the family some.

Indeed. In some families I know...it gallops!

Q

Back
Top Bottom