What's the last record you have worn the groves out in?

Last record I wore out was probably back in the 70's ... was a kid ... played the same albums all the time ... did not clean them very often or take good care of them back then.
Elton John's Captain Fantastic & the Brown Dirt Cowboy. Remember wearing that out. Long since replaced w/ NM- copy.

81%2B362HCPvL._AC_UL115_.jpg

Since the late 80's to today ... none.

Last edited:
Last record I wore out was probably back in the 70's ... was a kid ... played the same albums all the time ... did not clean them very often or take good care of them back then.
Elton John's Captain Fantastic & the Brown Dirt Cowboy. Remember wearing that out. Long since replaced w/ NM- copy.

81%2B362HCPvL._AC_UL115_.jpg

Since the late 80's to today ... none.

if i could find a copy, that thing would probably never leave my table!

But, alas, my local stores never get any Elton John for some weird reason...

I've got all of Elton John vinyl albums (aside from compilations) from 1969 - 1990 ... most NM- & some VG++.

Captain Fantastic was bought about 8 to 10 years ago before the vinyl revival. Was not hard to find those albums at that time ...
just took several months to obtain NM- copies ... VG++ was a little easier.

No idea what the selection is like now ... my Elton collection has been complete for years.

One of my favorites on the UK DJM label.

Elton_John_-_Empty_Sky.jpg

If you're wearing out records, you either have a trashed stylus, incorrect tracking pressure, or some other problem.

Ah, i see. I (sadly) got into vinyl last year, so mostly everything is
If you're wearing out records, you either have a trashed stylus, incorrect tracking pressure, or some other problem.

You can still wear out a record by playing it often enough, but yeah for the most part it shouldn't be getting worn out (yet some people still have it)

You can still wear out a record by playing it often enough, but yeah for the most part it shouldn't be getting worn out (yet some people still have it)

Not really. As @Sam Cogley said, only if something is wrong. When all is in good order it won't happen. Some of us have deliberately tried to inflict wear on records that we hate just to see what it takes and how long they will last and I have records played literally hundreds of times that are indistinguishable from a new copy. Records are damaged by mis-handling or by worn out needles. Especially worn out sapphire needles on 10 gram tracking "record players".

*(Does not apply to poly-styrene 45s which do indeed wear and are damaged rather easily.)

Haven't worn one out in decades but back when I had a Philco record player I wore out a few. Certainly I wore out side 2 of Iron Butterfly's "In-A-Gadda-da-Vida." Side A hardly got touched. Also a copy of Al Kooper's "Super Session."

Back
Top Bottom