Whats the oldest car you've ridden in?

sanford12

Old Stuff New Stuff As long as it's Good Stuff
Subscriber
The owner of the chevy dealership in the town where I grew up was a neighbor and were very kind to all the kids in the neighborhood. They had a 1910 Maxwell that they got out one day and I was lucky enough to ride in it. It also involved a little human help getting up a small steep hill. Fun day for a 12 year old.

Oldest was a 1915 Stanley tour bus. Second was a 1916 Rauch & Lang electric. If you know what a Baker electric from the teens looks like, its basically a twin. Both were available for rides at a historic estate I visited a year ago. They have an open house a couple times a year and you can go check out the Stanley Steamer collection along with their other antique cars. Some they have running around the property.

http://auburnheights.org/collections/automobiles/

both on that page.

A few restored Ford Model Ts, some 30s to 40s hot rods, and plenty of 50s and up. The oldest cars I'v owned where a 57 Ford Custom 2 door sedan and a 62 Pontiac Catalina 4 door. I'v owned and built up plenty of 60s to 70s mussel cars.

My first car was a 1950 Dodge hotrod. My second car was a 1969 Road Runner. I don't think I've ridden in anything older than the Dodge. Funny to think that the 1950 felt so old in 1984 but a late 1970's car still feels like it could easily be a daily driver today.

1937 Austin Seven 'Ruby' colour - black, no heater, no radio, and no 'boot' (= trunk), just a fold down luggage rack that you tied your suitcases onto. :)

A lot like this:
austin-7-ruby_22287.jpg

It was around 18 years old when I first rode in it, and Dad sold it well before I was old enough to drive it. :(

I still remember the number plate. :)

Happy days.

Last edited:
Model A Ford w/ rumbleseat, I'm not sure what year it was. My dad was a Ford dealer and he brought the Model A home a couple times when I was young, 5 or 6 years old.

Well, if by car you mean automobile, and aside from any 'race' cars which started life as a 50's something chevy, then my earliest memories would have to be my dads 65 GTO. I am told my mom and dad had an older belvedere (sp) wagon and a rambler, but I was just an infant.

If you mean car such that it could be 'train car' then if would have to be the shit that the Cass Scenic Railroad pushes up the hill. I am told they are turn of last century

Offhand, maybe a 1924 Studebaker Light Six touring I owned in the early 1960s was the oldest.
Otherwise, I've owned, ridden, or driven 1920s vehicles from Pierce Arrow and REO to Stanley steam cars.

I rode in the rumbleseat of a Ford Model A; I was very young and do not remember the model year.

Back
Top Bottom