Whats the oldest car you've ridden in?

1927 Rolls-Royce Phantom. Was in a parade in my hometown (Moultrie GA) and they gave rides in the car after the parade.

My biggest memory of it, was how ABSOLUTELY SILENT it was. The owner started the engine (basically pushed a button), and there was a faint "click", and then a small puff of exhaust from the tailpipe. No audible starter or engine sound whatsoever. I would have had no way to know it was running, if I couldn't have seen the exhaust puffs...

Regards,
Gordon.

1927 Rolls-Royce Phantom. Was in a parade in my hometown (Moultrie GA) and they gave rides in the car after the parade.

My biggest memory of it, was how ABSOLUTELY SILENT it was. The owner started the engine (basically pushed a button), and there was a faint "click", and then a small puff of exhaust from the tailpipe. No audible starter or engine sound whatsoever. I would have had no way to know it was running, if I couldn't have seen the exhaust puffs...

Regards,
Gordon.
Rolls-Royce reputedly had a sign at the factory grounds warning pedestrians to beware of silent motorcars.

Last edited:
Late 50's Corvette. Planes and trains - oldest plane was a B-17, oldest train was an 1890's BRT subway car.

Oldest plane for me was a DC-3 still in WW II trim for dropping the paratroopers and even got to fly it for 15 mins.

Worked as a doorman at a 5-star hotel. Used to have this giant club of rich people who would drive cross country every year. Got to park one of these, learned it was factory supercharged, dude came out at night to oil everything on the car (Bugatti 35C 28'?).
250px-Bugatti_Typ_35C_Grand_Prix_Racer_1926.jpg

1926 model t every Sunday for about 80 miles. For four years straight. A friend of the family would pick me up every Sunday when his wife went to church and took everywhere in that car. That's where I learned to pin the ears back

Oldest plane for me was a Ford TriMotor, like flying in a Model A.
Back in the early 70's there was a Tri Motor flying from a island in lake Erie to Ohio for tourist. My dad had Piper Tri-Pacer and we took off before the Tri-Motor and took pictures of it in the air. It looked so cool.

The oldest car I recall riding in was a 1938 Buick my dad bought for $25. (back around 1960-1961). Car was in great shape, comfortable, and had the most unique sounding engine.... a straight 8 cylinder.

It's --possible-- that I rode in something older, but if I did I have no recollection of it.

Speaking of planes. I flew on a Concorde from London England to New York in 78. I remember when we broke sound barrier you could hear a cricket fart 10 rows away. Lol

The oldest car I recall riding in was a 1938 Buick my dad bought for $25. (back around 1960-1961). Car was in great shape, comfortable, and had the most unique sounding engine.... a straight 8 cylinder.

It's --possible-- that I rode in something older, but if I did I have no recollection of it.
Almost all other contemporary straight 8 were sidevalve, Buick was OHV.
I remember my father saying he bought a '38 Buick from a former friend that gave my mother grief in his absence during WW-2, he never owned another Buick.

Ford Model A a old man I was friends with had one he was in his 90's when I was about 13 he took me for a ride , he bought it brand new ,

In the mid 60's 2 doors down was a very nice couple in their 80's. They were very good to us kids and lets us visit and never shooed us away. In the garage was a car covered in sheets and visqueen and never saw it uncovered till one nice sunny day. There sat one of these
33132130678_47250a4ffc.jpg
It was his first car and it looked like it was brand new much better than the one in the picture. It is now in a museum.

Back
Top Bottom