What's the oldest receiver I can get that will still have a remote?

The Shocker

I bought a Yamaha RX-530 and have been quite happy with it. I am looking to get a second one for the bedroom, but am having trouble finding something that is vintage-ish and can still use a remote.

Most of the receivers I find on Craigslist are AV receivers that support at least 5.1. A lot of them are dumped as part of AV upgrades, when someone goes from 5.1 to 7.2 or dolby digital to dolby atmos or some flavor of dts.

Though these would work fine, they tend to be quite bulky, with all the extra speaker connectors.

So, I need to change my search to look for specific older models that are stereo only, are decent units that I can expect not to have known reliability issues, and have a remote, so I can power off or adjust volume from my desk or my bed.

And brand and model recommendations welcome.

Some of the old Sansui's had remotes ... sort of. Circa 1976.

01013-640x480.jpg

What's your budget? Yamahas cirrent integrated amplifiers, the A-S301 and A-S501 are great units and come in silver face.

What's your budget? Yamahas cirrent integrated amplifiers, the A-S301 and A-S501 are great units and come in silver face.
For used, probably between $50 and $100. I paid $45 for the RX-530, so I'm thinking I should be able to find 80s receivers in that price range.

Basically, you gotta have at least some digital going on to make the idea of a IR remote practical. So, yes, there are receivers from the 1980's with remotes. I have an 1987 Onkyo receiver with IR remote but I would guess there are earlier examples than that.

The earliest I remember with wireless RC is B&O Beomaster 2400 from 1977. RC functions were volume control, source selection and standy mode. The remote controller was ultrasonic, not IR.

Beomaster 2400 was the same as Beomaster 1900, with RC added.

Last edited:
I have a pair of onkyo Tx-82 receivers that are circa tape and vcr/ in/out +mmc phono and cd with a primitive av signal out for sort of surround sound. 87-88 just a comparison of available stuff at that range and year with a remote (bought 2nd unit for about 100 + 29 for the remote orig.. msrp was about 360ish usd on sale about 3 yards. Nice and clean with good greased pots and sounds pretty good with ya know good speakers. tx82 doesn't have the stks but it a tad hot if you enclose it or stack it.

Open to selling one as both have remotes, clean and one modified with a cpu cooler for summer here in NC (gets pretty hot..)

https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/onkyo/tx-82.shtml

Remotes weren't really any good until the early nineties.....

Sure they had them, but they weren't able to accept a program signal from another remote. But, I'm talking about a Pioneer remote that could learn all signals coming from every Pioneer remote you had so all you need is one remote. Because once you get into remotes you'll have quite a few unless you have one that can learn all other remotes functions!!! Yes, early nineties Pioneer remotes have a learn function....

Remotes weren't really any good until the early nineties.....

Sure they had them, but they weren't able to accept a program signal from another remote. But, I'm talking about a Pioneer remote that could learn all signals coming from every Pioneer remote you had so all you need is one remote. Because once you get into remotes you'll have quite a few unless you have one that can learn all other remotes functions!!! Yes, early nineties Pioneer remotes have a learn function....

I really need it to adjust volume more than anything else and power the unit on and off.

The earliest I remember with wireless RC is B&O Beomaster 2400 from 1977. RC functions were volume control, source selection and standy mode. The remote controller was ultrasonic, not IR.

Beomaster 2400 was the same as Beomaster 1900, with RC added.
That's a pretty cool looking receiver!

2400aa.jpg

Is there a receiver database someplace I can see what models were available what year and what feature they had?

It will control the receiver's volume level regardless of which source you select. If you connect a MacMini to your receiver and selected as source - sure. But it will not allow you to switch sources using a remote.
The way it works is it attenuates the signal that passes through it. So if you put it in a tape loop, it will work as long as the receiver is in "tape monitor" mode, but will control only volume, and generally only down from the level physically set on the receiver.

There are similar devices that have more than one input and additional source selector function. I have one, I described it here
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=636579
(and no, I'm not selling, no affiliation to the manufacturer either). A few similar VC boxes others found are also mentioned in the thread.

like said above.. it's not really vintage with a remote anyway but my dad had a mid 60's tv with a remote and it had a nice sound to it audio wise, too. tech dropped in a newer tuner and dropped in a couple better tubes for the sound. We still had to get up and rotate the antenna. My dad did install a rotator lol... got tired of yelling down off the roof... "Is it okay now?" :D

So you add to your with list.. :D

I'll put a plug in for Onkyos. You can pick up a TX-8211 or TX-8511 for minimal cost and they are really nice, lively but not harsh sounding units. Running a TX-8511 for our TV receiver.

Back
Top Bottom