What's the ugliest equipment you ever saw?

I have one of these out in the garage.Found it curbside on garbage night,in mint shape.It actually doesn't sound bad,and has a fair amount of power and a decent tuner.

The ugly part? Oh,not the looks,although it ain't pretty, No,the ugliness is all in the ''user interface'' portion of the design. Ever want to beat a frustrating-to-use piece of equipment to death out of sheer frustration? Because nothing is intuitive,and all control responses happen in slow motion?

Let me introduce you to my ''hammer drawer'',you little piece of s**t.....Honestly,I have wanted to get rid of this thing for years,but it won't DIE,despite being covered in metal shavings,welding smoke and cutting fluid/coolant:mad:

(Internet pic)

Sony_STR-VX550_1000px.JPG

kIoVmSg.jpg

pUgCh8B.jpg

We actually had one of these at a shop I worked at, man what a p.o.s. that thing was! When one of the guys was leaving we kept joking he needed to take "his stereo" with him, he started to become pretty heated snapping at us " I'm not taking this stupid stereo" ...... I went ahead and helped him out by loading it in the car for him. I wish I could have seen his face when he opened his trunk and saw that turd sitting there! hahahahaha

I gotta see the headphones that came with these!

One thing about this brand is that every new series that they designed and released looks totally different from the one before it. Can't say much for the other brands.

I agree that the lower G series don't look that flash but every brands low end models are in the same league. If you get a chance to see models G8000 through to the G30000, they are a work of art. I find the Pioneer SX series the same to what you think about the G series.
View attachment 1103161

Yeah most of that particular range of SX receivers doesn't do much for me either. I do like the TX-9500 II tuner with the silver dial and lighter meters from that era though. It's a little more balanced looking with the meters centered and the tuning knob down with the other knobs. As far as pioneer receivers I think the following generation when they switched to the black meters and added the vu meters looked somewhat better on the low end. It at least gave them a little more visual appeal.

qlpestfrrtdko2h2sx1q.jpg

Most of the ones I can think of are posted here, but I don't like a lot of the current AVR looks at all, too plain and menus on menus with a crappy little remote.

I always liked black equipment, but the gold, bronze, champagne stuff always kind of turned me off. If it's abused at all, it's almost impossible to make it look ok again without spending a lot Silver and black for me.

Back
Top Bottom