What's the ugliest equipment you ever saw?

It is homely, which is why i keep mine in a cubby in a credenza. But mine has a factory upgrade and outputs 300+ wpc with Nuvistor tubes in the pre amp section. Sounds lovely through a pair of JBL 4365 speakers. I crack the door enough to let the remote work and i have sublime sound without having to look at it.

Make no mistake the Musical Fidelity Nuvista M3 is a fine integrated amp.

Regards
Mister Pig

Last edited:
Funny that the "Ugly" in some of these only comes out when I think about possibility of having to service them...
Right? Like this 80's Technics BPC sitting on my bench right now waiting on a couple chips.

Attachments

• 20180112_145738.jpg
    20180112_145738.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 149
kIoVmSg.jpg

pUgCh8B.jpg

We actually had one of these at a shop I worked at, man what a p.o.s. that thing was! When one of the guys was leaving we kept joking he needed to take "his stereo" with him, he started to become pretty heated snapping at us " I'm not taking this stupid stereo" ...... I went ahead and helped him out by loading it in the car for him. I wish I could have seen his face when he opened his trunk and saw that turd sitting there! hahahahaha

Never really been a fan of Sansui or Marantz -style-.

Sansui seemed hell bent on cramming as many switches, knobs and gizmos as they could fit per square foot.

Marantz seemed addicted to obnoxious fonts and large print on their faceplates....as if they were shouting at you.

Both extremely gaudy.....not to my liking.

kIoVmSg.jpg

pUgCh8B.jpg

We actually had one of these at a shop I worked at, man what a p.o.s. that thing was! When one of the guys was leaving we kept joking he needed to take "his stereo" with him, he started to become pretty heated snapping at us " I'm not taking this stupid stereo" ...... I went ahead and helped him out by loading it in the car for him. I wish I could have seen his face when he opened his trunk and saw that turd sitting there! hahahahaha
But if you keep your razor blades under it they will stay sharp forever! Bananas will keep longer.......:biggrin:

But if you keep your razor blades under it they will stay sharp forever! Bananas will keep longer.......:biggrin:

Was thinking just the same... 'pyramid power' one of those nonsense ideas from the 70s. While on one level this looks kinda cool, from an appliance/furniture aspect I object to anything w/o a flat surface so I can't throw random crap on top of it.

Right? Like this 80's Technics BPC sitting on my bench right now waiting on a couple chips.
I know they were all for cost cutting on the lower line amps but every time I have to take something down to a thousand bits, each connected to the other by wires and/or fragile flat flex connectors in order access the underside of the board I kind of want to toss the whole thing in the trash and forget about it.

kIoVmSg.jpg

pUgCh8B.jpg

UFOs and aliens park here. Lol

There's an aesthetic to certain vintage British stereo that makes my eyes gag:

View attachment 1094332

View attachment 1094333

Great sound, but I wouldn't want to look at it.

Some of the vintage radios are even worse:

View attachment 1094334
My grandmother would have loved that radio. Her only problem would be that she would paint it the color of whichever room it would be sitting in. Always loved the look of aqua or turquoise table radios.But that's just me.

Back
Top Bottom