Whats this TT worth??

Its worth what your willing to pay for it :zoom:

Hey Mike,

It looks like whatever caused the damage at the one corner also led to some splitting of the veneer at the other corners. :(
Also comparing the mat to Grumpy's Basik, it looks much smaller so might not be the original. Maybe if if everything else is alright and price is good?

cheers
Jack

Update..I sent the pics to my local Linn dealer. Diagnosis..the wood is swelling from moisture and will continue to denigrate this table. So even for $300 USD its not worthwhile. My local Linn dealer says he gets these tables for sale for around $500CAN and in MINT condition. Looks like maybe I'll wait.

Mike

Good idea calling the Linn dealer - I was thinking the same thing about moisture as this looks exactly like a pair of damaged speaker stands I have - they spent some time on a wet carpet.

Billf

Back in the old days Linn produced several arms at the affordable end so that impoverished buyers of the LP could afford an arm to put on their new table.

There was a cheaper LV-V with a standard bayonet type headshell too. A nasty lil' one that :(

And the infamous K9 cartridge.

For more on things Linn:

The LP12 FAQ
http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Hills/4133/lp12_faq.txt

cheerio

Last edited:
Consider a Heybrook TT-2?????

Michael's link mentioned the similarities between the TT-2 and Linn LP-12. I recently sold mine with Basik arm but no cart for $270. Another recently sold for $400 w/ Basik arm and K9 cart.
Earlier, one sold on eBay for $275 with Basik and Grado.

They're not as well known as Linn LP=12 so the prices are more attractive. They're also not as widely available, so finding one may take a while.

TY

BTW, this attachment shows the perils of photography: the TT actually is in very good shape, but the digital camera/flash/lighting really highlights ANY flaws--the scratches on the wooden base are REALLY minor, but the pic makes 'em look like major gouges. Similarly the Audioquest Sorbothane mat really shows dust in the pic. Fortunately, I caught these problems before selling on eBay.

Last edited:
One TT-2 has been on Audiogon for a month
http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.pl?anlgtabl&1035507351

Rebco has had this listed for 30 days though the features have changed considerably. Originally, it was $850 with an Alphason arm. Then the arm sold seperately so the table alone was $4 or 450. Now he's put a Rega 300 arm on it.

The pic in the link is the Alphason arm.

The table/ arm is a good one, but the price isn't a bargain. Wonder what his "obo' would be?????? Might be worth an e-mail.

TY

Actually Tonto there is a Heybrook on the bay that I'm watching but IIRC theres no arm or cart. Also the seller made claims that Linn copied the Heybrook when they designed the LP12. Is that true? I thought it was B.S.!

Mike

ProAc,
whether Linn copied Heybrook depends on whether you're selling a Heybrook or a Linn!! I've heard several different stories involving Linn/Heybrook & Ariston, but don't know which is true.(see below*****).
I guess what's important to the end-user is that they're similar in philosophy & sound. I'm just thinking you might get more of the sound of a Linn (cheaply) by buying a Heybrook than a lesser Linn like the Basik.

The fact that an armless TT-2 is available might be a good thing:
knowledgeable people always advised me that the Linn Basik might be holding my Heybrook back and that the Basik wouldn't reveal ALL the qualities of a great cart.

FWIW, Kal Rubinson (of Stereophile) uses a TT-2 with an SME arm & Koetsu cart. Andrew Marshall of Audio Ideas Guide also has a TT-2,but I don't know which arm/cart.

TY

David Price looks at one-time king of turntables, Ariston's RD11

Ariston was once one of hi-fi's most illustrious brands. The proud name on one of Scotland's finest turntables, it was revered by many a well-heeled Seventies audiophile. Nowadays, though, the brand is a shadow of its former self, the name branded on inexpensive, mass-market DJ turntables.

The course of the Ariston story depends on who tells it - to this day it remains clouded by controversy. The gist is that, back in the early Seventies, Hamish Robertson approached a fresh- faced Ivor Tiefenbrun with a business idea. Ivor's dad owned an engineering facility in Glasgow, which Hamish wanted to manufacture his Ariston turntable. Although the deal came to nothing, soon after Ivor formed Linn Products and launched the LP12, a high- end deck in many ways similar to the Ariston. Hamish and Ivor duly fell out, one accusing the other of plagiarism.

This allegation is open to contention, since, despite the decksí obvious similarities, both owed a great debt to Thorens' TD 150, not to mention the original AR turntable. In truth, until the advent of the Oracle and Michell GyroDec (which appeared within weeks of each other in 1981), all belt-drive decks were pretty similarly fashioned.

Last edited:
Theres a Heybrook TT2 on audiogon with the RB300 arm and an AT cart asking price is $450 plus shipping. Does this seem reasonable? The TT looks very nice in the sellers pics.

audiogon auction

Mike

Mike,
That's the TT-2 I linked to above. He's had it on Audiogon for a while in various forms: first it had the Alphason arm with a great cartridge. Then it was $850 with JUST the Alphason arm (no cart).

I believe he tried to sell the TT itself for ~$450, but no luck.
FWIW, I sold my TT for $270 (Basik arm/ no cart).
Another sold for $409 with Basik arm & Linn cart (advertised as K9, but turned out to be the lesser K5??).
Earlier, a TT-2 with Basik and decent cart (like a Grado??) sold for $275.

So, $450 may be reasonable but on the high side of reasonable.
I'd rather have the Rega arm than a Basik (currently I have the Origin Live modded Rega 250) so that's a good thing. You could always tweak the arm as $$ was avaialble, and it's probably always going to be a resellable arm.

Since he doesn't mention much about the Audio Technica cart, I'd be a little suspect as to its quality/condition: sounds like he might have thrown it on there just to sweeten the deal.
Hope this helps,
TY

BTW, that's the ALPHASON arm in the pic, not a Rega.

TY,

Thanks for the background info on Linn v Ariston. I 've heard of the dispute before but not in that detail. Interesting stuff.

On the Heybrook, I remember (around 1978?) when Linn already had the LP12 out for a while, Heybrook came out as a speakers only manufacturer. And they made some nice ones too. I heard the HB2's in a shop at some stage. The TT2 came out later on.

cheers
Jack

Back
Top Bottom