What's wrong with my room?

GIK Accoustics sells room treatment products. But their site ALSO has general room setup information. Might be worth scanning. They generally advise to use short wall.
Posting pics of your setup in room, might help with ideas.
Rugs (especially in front of speakers) and absorbant padded cloth furniture can also effect room brightness.

Reactions: FFF
What are the dimensions of the original room that sounded so good? And to what do you possibly attribute the lack of bass between the two rooms? Is the original room carpeted also? Major differences in furniture (soft) type/size/amount?

I recently assembled a system in my family room consisting of a Denon turntable, Stax preamp, Denon power amp and some ADS 910s. It sounded really nice, I thought, so I figured I would move it into a room I use as a theater since it was cluttering up the family room. The same system in my theater room sounds pretty bad.
Here are the stats: the theater is 13x23 with a ceiling just under 8'. It has sheetrock on three walls, wood on the other, and it's carpeted with carpet tiles (pretty thin). There is pseudo acoustic tile on the ceiling.
To try to fix the situation I have experimented hanging heavy comforters at the first reflection points on the side walls. This fixed much of imaging and clarity of the mids and highs, still not as good as the other room, but better.
The biggest problem remains, though, and that's a lack of bass. The 910s aren't known to struggle in this department and I haven't had this issue in other rooms, but maybe this one is just too long??
I'm trying to imagine a treatment that would punch up the bass, but I'm not sure what to try. This system has no tone controls, and I'd like to keep it that way if I can, particularly since it sounded so good in the other room.
Any suggestions?
Hey - I have a Stax CA-Z preamp. I have had it since the 80's. I bought it used from a former colleague. Do you know where I can get the manual or specs on it?

Hey - I have a Stax CA-Z preamp. I have had it since the 80's. I bought it used from a former colleague. Do you know where I can get the manual or specs on it?
You could try hifiengine site. Would have to register, no fee. They have a manual database.

1557682234825-1076027132.jpg I had a really tough room downstairs...kinda similar cave like.... this is how mine is. Not ideal but sounds good. I have ADS 1290's down there and have no problems with proper bass and sound. I had to do alot of test and tune with speaker placement.The room is 15' wide( fire place wall)x 23'longx 8'ceiling.

Last edited:
The biggest problem remains, though, and that's a lack of bass.

Try to get the speakers to couple to the room boundaries and improve your bass.

Back the speakers up toward the wall behind them. Spread them as wide as you can without diminishing the center image.

Move the speakers forward in small increments and listen to the drums and bass as you do. Some positions will sound better than others as the speakers excite nodes in the room.

It helps to put masking tape on the floor next to each speaker marked in one inch increments. That way you can compare positions quickly and reliably.S

Build a platform 7 inch off of the floor Hollow underneath, made with just three quarter plywood and two by sixes... Then get some nice colorful whatever color you want quarter inch foam back carpet squares and put on top of the plywood platform.... Then place the ADS 910's on top of a platform in the corners..
The platform stage should be the full 13 foot width of the room and about 5 feet to 7 ft into to the room.​

Back
Top Bottom