Whats you’re favorite odd ball guitar?

Music Man EVH red flame top. :rockon:

Pic from interwebs. :cool:
101_1854.jpg

101_1857.jpg

One of 200 made. Gibson Les Paul Old Hickory. Made from the tree on Jackson's property that came down in the 1998 tornado. Pearl inlay banner are key events in Jackson's lifetime.
image.jpeg

That is very, very cool. Hickory guitars seem about as common as Oak.
How does it sound in comparison to your other guitars?

This is the original production EVH by Ernie Ball/Music Man. The Wolfgang was built by Peavey. It is shaped a little different.

I found it odd that Eddy V H went from a sleek Strat body to a larger somewhat Jazz guitar shape.
He did say he swiped that first humbucker from a Gibson so maybe that was his 'dream' guitar.

One of 200 made. Gibson Les Paul Old Hickory. Made from the tree on Jackson's property that came down in the 1998 tornado. Pearl inlay banner are key events in Jackson's lifetime.
View attachment 793874
Have to apologize here. I took liberty with OP's thread title from "what's your favorite oddball guitar" to "post an oddball guitar". That is, I do not own one. I have just read about it. Apparently it's also made from the oldest Poplar tree in Tennessee along with Jackson's Hickory remains, and doesn't seem to get much love on the Les Paul forums from previous owners, sound or playability wise. One poster in that forum described it as a guitar a rich person would buy to hang on the wall. Apologies

Have to apologize here. I took liberty with OP's thread title from "what's your favorite oddball guitar" to "post an oddball guitar". That is, I do not own one. I have just read about it. Apparently it's also made from the oldest Poplar tree in Tennessee along with Jackson's Hickory remains, and doesn't seem to get much love on the Les Paul forums from previous owners, sound or playability wise. One poster in that forum described it as a guitar a rich person would buy to hang on the wall. Apologies
No problem. Looks like there's a few variations too, some not as fancy looking.
I see that Old Hickory was Jackson's nickname and no actual hickory wood ('cept maybe the fretboard?) was used in the making as far as I can tell.
Poplar isn't very popular with guitar makers. Warmoth offers it as its cheapest option but I don't recall anyone using it
except for wings on neck thru bodies and when making prototypes, but just for testing the layout, not for the sound. I think it would make a lousy neck too.
I'm curious if anyone here has ever played a poplar body guitar.

Doug Kauer is doing some very cool things with his new Titan line of guitars.
Cryzm8DVYAAR9K2.jpg

Or how about this Waterslide Coodercaster variant?
Waterslide-Telebacker-01.jpg

Back
Top Bottom