What's your best speaker "score"?

1970 Sansui AS-100 acoustic suspension speakers (like KLH or ARs) for $9.98 at the GW in minty shape.

Tannoy Saturn S8LR for £80. Wasn't sure what they were at the time and bought on instinct.

Last edited:
All my speakers are great scores:
- Linn Saras (Permanent loan from a friend)
- EPI M 180 (free from the local used website)
- Realistic Optimus 5B ($10)
- ADC 303AX (left over from an ex's dad)
- B & W DM302 ($50 on the used site - only paid that much because they came with nice speaker stands)

The last pair of speakers I bought new were a pair of bookshelf Wharfedales CRS 3, back in '94!

Last edited:
JBL L100 Century's $10
Genesis Model II $20
EPI 140c $12

You beat me on the L100's I had by three bucks. Damn!

Although they look worse in this picture than they are, and have been using them for 5 years next month it would have to be these for $30, and yes I have the grill covers, and they are in nice shape

IMGP4364.jpg

I also have a pair of Tannoy System 800's that I paid $20 for, and Kef 102's that I have nothing in.

At least for me speakers have become hard to find. My Local Thrift likes to price them up, and the crazy crowd comes in and buys them. I mean for nutty higher than Ebay prices.
Nothing like seeing somebody in a powder blue BMW M6 Convertible leaving the store with a small piece of furniture.

I think this will be my all time score, I responded to an add for "speakers" see the photo below, took a chance and tannoy monitor reds for $20.

attachment.php

Attachments

• tannoy.jpg
    tannoy.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 329
Never would have imagined there'd be tannoys in those cabinets. They look like road gear for a band. Congrats! :)

I think this will be my all time score, I responded to an add for "speakers" see the photo below, took a chance and tannoy monitor reds for $20.

Look to be about the same size cabs that my freebie Golds came in. Measured them out to be roughly 19ft3. They actually sound pretty good in those giant things...

They were basement speakers is my guess, installed in those unpainted voids you see in the back, but also my guess. They were hauled out and stacked on the porch and sellers just happy to be rid of them. I just had the vibe from the photo, was not able to verify until I got them home.

The cabs are about 190L/6.7cft. The ports were covered, but after the covers, the bass was very impressive. I've since started a rebuild of donor cabinets.

Stumbled upon a clean looking pair of Klipschorns at a local pawn shop about a year ago for $600. I had no space for them but one of my best buds (who happens to be a Klipsch fanatic) had plenty of space and disposable income so I set up the layaway and he bought them. He still has them and they sound glorious. :D

Also worth mentioning, my brother and I found a pair of Paradigm 11seMkII's for $10 at a garage sale last year. After upgrading the binding posts and jumpers they work perfect. The people who had them were moving to Florida and didn't want to bring them along.

I have had some pretty good speaker scores Altec Valencias $50.00 JBL-L112's $35.00 Yamaha NS-1000M's free of charge and many more :yes:

Regards Snow

Curb alert QLS-1 and RS-II Infinitys, at the same address same day.

JBL C60 S8R Sovereigns for the cost of gas to fill up a Cadillac Escalade, perhaps even a bit less:).

10 years ago a pair of Marantz HD66's. Free from my boss who was tired of lifting them. Listening to them now and they are excellent.

Back
Top Bottom