What's your best speaker "score"?

View attachment 1271176

Hello all,

I've often read about people getting fabulous vintage gear for next to nothing at estate sales, etc but I never seem to be that lucky.

Well, my luck has changed.

I repaired an old Philco console for a coworker about a month ago. I brought the console back to him and another coworker came out to look at the console. He told me had some speakers that he bought brand new but rarely used and wanted them out of his garage. The next day he brought in a pair of Pioneer CS-99A's in the original boxes. He gave them to me for free.

Carter

Hmm not bad ! Similar to my free-from-a-coworker set recently. Pioneer Sa-7800 in original box, Pioneer HPM-60s and a Technics SL-5210 TT in original box all for nothing :)

I guess the best, would be a pair of Vintage, (C. 1974), Bowers and Wilkins DM5's at the local GW for $16.00 for the pair. Not the cheapest by all means, but overall, the speakers I just cannot part with. They just sound well balanced, play all genre's well. I take them out of rotation quite often to audition more recent finds, but always go back.

Last edited:
I guess the best, would be a pair of Vintage, (C. 1974), Bowers and Wilkins DM5's at the local GW for $16.00 for the pair. Not the cheapest by all means, but overall, the speakers I just cannot part with. They just sound well balanced, play all genre's well. I take them out of rotation quite often to audition more recent finds, but always go back to the.
I had a pair of DM-14 (same drivers, two woofers I believe) and like an idiot I flipped them. I don't miss much of what I flip, but I miss those.

I got these for $20
g991T101B-o_other1.jpg
Without the stands :(

For the life of me I can't see anyone paying list for them.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_991T1...4784&awdv=c&awkw=kef+t101&awmt=e&awnw=o&awat=

I picked up a pair of refoamed Tannoy Cheviots for $350 and they have become my favorite speakers now. Ive paid a lot less for other speakers but for me they are my best score.

Bose 901's series one with eq free. ess amt 1 $2. audes soul two towers and center channel $100. (list 2500 they were brand new in the box), polk audio sda free, Klipsch heresey $35, the list goes on. People around here like small speakers and want to get rid of these.

Hmmm the best so far would be a pair of Altec Lansing 615a duplexes in original monitor cabinets with crossovers for $40! Couldn't believe it because we were at an auto swap meet ( not audio) . When I took the back off it looked and smelled just like opening a time capsule after 50 years I was so in awestruck. The drivers were so large and in such beautiful condition I couldn't believe it. Later that same day I also picked up an original 811 b horn and musical Altec cabinet an driver for the princely sum of $25:biggrin:
Next would be my cl find scooped up minutes after posting for $50 bucks,a realistic sta 2100d in great shape but needed some work in the amp section. That find also included my first introduction MCS gear, which I've grown to really appreciate. Model was a 3260 which turned out to be real sleeper. Lastly that I can think of is a mint, absolutely mint pair of Cerwin vega d3's for a Andrew Jackson, which of course the needed surrounds and has turned out to be an excellent speaker! There's a few more but I must say, I've been very lucky to find some of these deals and through it all very blessed. Researching and educating yourself on what to lookout for and being quick an persistent will pay off! Happy hunting folks!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    47 KB · Views: 45
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    59.2 KB · Views: 46
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    62.1 KB · Views: 43
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    29.3 KB · Views: 43
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    34.1 KB · Views: 44
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    56.1 KB · Views: 45
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    98.7 KB · Views: 43
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    36.7 KB · Views: 45
I think these 3a M3 Generation II that I got for free would rank up there. I did have to repair the cones on the mids and a woofer voicecoil which set me back about $200 but at about $2400 retail in the 90s I think I did ok. They sound great too. :)

20180911_102524.jpg

My Altec Lansing Model 14 speakers for 47 bucks and they are my favorites. i did have to trade 3 sets of thrift store speaker finds to get them refoamed but we both did well on the exchange. i found the Altecs at an estate sale in a dark corner and unpriced.

AR3's for $20
AR4X's for $20
Triad Silver Mini Monitors for $25
ADS L570's for $12
KLH 6's for $15
KLH 23's for $25

Dahlquist DQ-10's - Free curbside find
Polk SDA 2's - Free, friends mother wanted them gone she just gave them to me.
Polk Audio Monitor 5's (fully restored by a fellow Polk enthusiast) - gift/permaloaned

The Dahlquists & SDA's were from years ago and are long gone. The 5's aint going nowhere

Pair of Altec Boleros for 50 bucks and a pair of B&W 704's for 10. The Boleros are with a Altec collector now and the B&W's play in concert with my Martin Logan LX16's and they sound outstanding together.

And then there were these in Heathkit cabinets that had water damage at the bottom.
5 bucks for the pair at an auction. Auctioneer said nobody else knew what they were did they.

H-811B's horns and some of those run of the mill Altec woofers.

44633650292_ff1344e5d2_b.jpg

42873143270_8434f9f6cc_b.jpg

29745253457_2b6d84e1d2_b.jpg

29745266567_7c3dc113dc_b.jpg

Last edited:
I got a pair of DCM CX-17s at a flea market for $8. I knew nothing about them and boy was I pleased once I had them hooked up to my Sansui G-6000.

At a garage sale where the wife says I just want them out of here. Could have had a pair of smaller CV's for the same price but no room at the house and I'm not a CV fan. I found out how good the deal was when the wife asked "your not selling those are you"

I forgot about the Pioneer HPM 100's I got for a buck apiece at an auction. To say they looked rough is an understatement but every driver worked like they should and they sounded pretty dang good.

Last edited:
Most recent. C-v vs-120's with original intact orange woofer foam, $20 at a Hartville oh. thrift store. Currently in living room connected to a stock marantz 1060 with a subwoofer, I cracked a window with this setup (no other explanation ). Klipsch synergy b-3's with a fisher ca-880 integrated amp, $30, lcoal non-profit's yard sale. Yeah, I know, China klipsch, so what? First thing I powered these with was a 500c fisher rcvr, pulled from storage, all original. I was gobsmacked! That thing ran for days on end!:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom