What's your best speaker "score"?

Ok, let me do this buildingnut, I'm headed off to work for today, but why don't you just come out and pick up those altecs, Tracy will be home all day. I need the space so I can get my old car back in the garage, I think the crossovers are toast like in the pics I sent, passing on the karma, no charge. Yes I still what that tt you have, we will work something out on that later. I will be a Lil disappointed if I get home tonight and they are still here
Man that is some crazy Karma there, I’ll drop off that turntable and pick up them Altec’s, hopefully one of your neighbors are retired, those cabinets will not be lite! Appreciate you my brother, be assured you will be able to get your “old” car back in the garage when you get home!

I was lucky enough to pull a set of SL6 Celestion's in full working order off the bay that had a $50 BIN price on them and were just listed a few minutes before I hit the BIN tab.

It doesn't get much better than that unless you get something like this put out for Hard Rubbish and you just happen to be driving past as it's placed out on the footpath for collection.

IMG_20181108_191534.jpg Hope not posted these here already.
Canton Karrat 200, walnut 8" three-ways with soft dome mid & tweets. With wood stands, $10 pr. at garage sale. Had belonged to thier uncle. Wanted them gone. Sanded and oiled. Sound nice, similar tone as ADS.

Last edited:
Got a pair of Ohm C2's for $20. Cabinets were in nice shape, no grills though (I prefer without anyway). Ooooh, forgot, woofers were not original ... sigh! Would like to hear an original pair before deciding whether to spring for OEM woofers (which Ohm can potentially still provide). Even with the non-OEM woofers, they sound pretty good.

Tannoy Arden’s in custom cabs, they needed a refoam. $50 big ones!

Attachments

• D028DE23-8C9A-4C16-8D17-0061F7F05EF8.jpeg
    D028DE23-8C9A-4C16-8D17-0061F7F05EF8.jpeg
    37.3 KB · Views: 39
They were a base , not sure why the person wanted to lift them that high. AK member endervox has them now, he ended up only keeping the crossovers and drivers and put them in new cabs, those cabs are gone.

Advent Legacy i and Epi 100 with walnut cabs, free, 10 minutes away. The Advents were in great cond. aside from rotted foam, have been refoamed and are currently playing in my garage. The Epi's are the first series, walnut cabs, rotted foam and one destroyed woofer. Hoping to find a replacement woofer and get them running again before I get tired of tripping over them.

For me it's been the following:
  • Tannoy HPD385s (as listed by @bktheking above) for $50 and then found slightly scaled down custom GRF-rectangle-like cabs for $200 to put them in
  • Tannoy Stuart w/ 12" Golds for $500 or 600, I don't remember which
  • Tannoy 2558 drivers and crossovers for $200
  • JBL 4311B's $100
  • Altec Valencia 846B $300 - eventually sold them with great regret
  • Klipschorn (K357) - Single for $200
  • And a ton of Dynaco, EPI, Genesis at the dump for - ding ding ding $$FREE$$

A pair of JBL 4430's that I bought without the 2235's (15" drivers). I just happen to have a pair of 2235's sitting around just waiting to do something.

Thiel 04a $50 on CL plus another $35 (or so don't really remember) for proprietary surrounds from Thiel when they were still around.

Boston Acoustics A70 speakers for $15 at a local thrift, also needed $25 worth of Simply Speakers surrounds, so $40 total. Greatest sounding $40 speakers ever.

I've got a number of great deals on speakers.
Infinity Crescendo CS-3007 $10, needed foam, almost flawless cosmetically
Polk Audio LSi25, little rough cosmetically, one bad sub amp, but $50! :banana:
Mission 770s $50... not an amazing deal price wise but my favorite pair of speakers, so...
Boston Acoustics VR2 and PV500 subwoofer, $50 for all three pieces.

Back
Top Bottom