What's your dream muscle car?

My 1966 GTO.

Purchased from the original owner in 1972, my first car, owned by me for 37 years. :yes:

This is the car I drove through college and drove to work when I was 70salesguy. I continued to drive it as my daily driver until about a year after I went to work for the electric utility company. I was driving about 60 miles a day to work and back and needed something that got better mileage. Fortunately, I made the right choice to keep the GTO and buy a newer car to drive to work!

That's the one I always wanted...

Dream car + '65 Impala Supersport & '68 Mercury Cougar XR7 GT

plymouth-cars-12.jpg

Dream car: 1970 Barracuda with the 426 Hemi. There was one running around town when I was in high school.

9190-32707lg.jpg

1st car in high school, 327 V8 with corvette FI heads.

1968CougarXR7Front.jpg

325 HP 390 V8. Sold when the first child was on the way.

Last edited:
don't know that you'd call it a 'muscle' car, but i was always partial to the '63-'64 studebaker avantis. fiberglass body, stainless steel trim and a hot 289 w/blower. didn't do much in a short run, but we waved 'byebye' to more than a couple of the cars mentioned here when we got up above 140-back when the roads were relatively new and pretty much empty at night. the stude' silver and golden hawks were good runners for their time and the gran turismo hawks of the early 60's were damn nice cars all around. of the cars mentioned, i lusted after a pontiac 2+2-size and power=comfort and joy.

The Avanti was on my one day to have list until my brother got a II in some part payment for services. He drove it and even after getting all new seals and having the body shop go through the car it was a constant leaker. He called the factory and their response was no one who would own on would drive it in the rain. Now, this was Florida, meaing rain can be counted on for months at a time at 5:00 daily. The R-2 with the supercharger was a screemer. Always was curious if they had added fuel injection to the R-2 engine what the result would have been. GM had been trying FI during that period and though not reliable was getting good results.

He finally gave up and knowing I have wanted one loaned it to me as I had a garage. I drove it a couple of times and gave it back. Either I was getting old and soft or the car was only a straighr line driver and was cramped. It just did not age well.

Lowery's Studebakers were beatiful, truly art pieces and the GT Hawk was told the other companies what the future was to bring. Sadly, they were just a couple of years too early for the market. The company went out in a blase of glory, sad it did not get a gov't bailout to last a couple of years, it would have been interesting to see what it could have done.

I saw my first Avanti at a car show earlier this year. Me and Mrs Caddis both arre a fantastic looking car. On a Studebaker related note, my Dad was a car mechanic in the 60's and 70's and used to service the police cars (Studebakers, not sure what model). He took mum for a spin in one once and I don't think she has recovered yet

It's a Lark!

When I was in High School, my best friend drove a Studebaker Lark that was a hand-me-down from his parents. Man, it was ugly! It had a mechanical problem in the front suspension. If he hit a good sized bump or pothole, the front end would start to shimmy and the best way to stop it was to apply the brakes rather quickly! I'm sure the car had a lot of miles on it and could have been repaired, but at this point in its life, it just wasn't worth it! His father was pretty frugal and I'm sure he had gotten a lot of value out of the old car before passing it on to my friend.

Eventually, he got a nice little 68 Camaro with a 327 and a 3-speed. Nothing spectacular, but a nice little car. The biggest shortcoming with the Camaro was that it didn't have A/C (this was in Charleston SC), but he drove it for many years. We parted ways several years later while in college due to his excessive drinking, but others told me that he continued to drive the Camaro for quite a few years after our "parting of the ways"!

I had this one for a few years. It was a 1966 Caddy hearse with an S&S body and a 500 cubic inch engine under the hood with a holley 4 barrel. Fast, powerful and who the hell pulls over a hearse?
the_moishe_mobile_112.jpg

The one I let get away in 1978. A 1967 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500, 428CJ, 2 4V carbs, race prep, bucket seats, roll cage, black on black, 7000 miles stored under cloth. $6000 and I still dent my butt over not buying this car.

My cousin had the very same car in 1970 but he ,to this day swears his motor was a 427 cobra the same motor Carroll Shelby had in the original Shelby Cobra 2 seater.I myself have seen this version once over 30 yrs ago in some hot rod magazine.................

H.o.

1973 Trans Am S.D 455 with muncie 4 speed is what I'd like. I guess a 70-71 455 H.O would be ok too.

455 H.O. Transams were only built in 1971 and 1972. All 1971 and 1972 cars were 455 H.O.s. There were engines designated as H.O. after 1974, but obviously not the same thing.

1970 cars were either Ram Air III or Ram Air IV.

I had a 1973 SD455, but mine was an automatic. White with blue decals, black interior. There were some 1974 SD455 cars as well.

I'll try to load up a photo later.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom