What's your dream muscle car?

1966 Pontiac GTO.
1966-Pontiac-GTO-Red-fa-t-sy.jpg

My Dad bought one new that looked like this one except with black interior when I was 5 or 6 years old. I went with my Dad several times to the dealer to look at this car, and when he finally brought it home I though he bought it because of my 'encouragement.' That car would giddy up and go:yes:.

I'd sure love to have one again some day.

Nice in red!

1966 Pontiac GTO.
1966-Pontiac-GTO-Red-fa-t-sy.jpg

My Dad bought one new that looked like this one except with black interior when I was 5 or 6 years old. I went with my Dad several times to the dealer to look at this car, and when he finally brought it home I though he bought it because of my 'encouragement.' That car would giddy up and go:yes:.

I'd sure love to have one again some day.

How long did he keep it?

What happened to it?

My whole life, I wanted a 66/67 GTO. I still do, but I have since settled.

This is what I got now, 67 Lemans with a non-original 400 engine. Maybe someday I will be able to trade up.

Last edited:
Nice Lemans!

My whole life, I wanted a 66/67 GTO. I still do, but I have since settled.

This is what I got now, 67 Lemans with a non-original 400 engine. Maybe someday I will be able to trade up.

My best friend in college had a beautiful 67 Lemans with the 326. It always bugged him that my 66 GTO with the 389 would skunk him, but it shouldn't have. He had 90% of a GTO as far as I was concerned. His was an AT, AC, PS & PB car as was my GTO.

That's a nice Lemans, and with the 400 installed, it should run well! The upgrade to the GTO hood was so common in the late 60s and early 70s that you could never find a 66 or 67 GTO hood in the wrecking yard!

Did you know that 1966 was the first year that the GTO was a separate model? For the first 2 years, 64 and 65, GTO was an option package!

Yea, I have researched them thoroughly. I actually have grown to like the Lemans quarter fins. The hood is fiberglass, and installed before I purchased it.

When I picked this one up, a few years ago. I was actually searching for GTO's, I came across this guy for about $17,000 cheaper. It gave me 90% of the car, at less than a 1/4 the price. It was also in as good a shape, as any gto in my maximum price range. I just couldn't pass it up. With the way muscle car prices were rising at the time, I wanted to get in before it was too late. During my teen years, I always drove muscle cars. I couldn't ever imagine living a life without one.

I only drive it a few times a year now. But every time I walk into the garage, I give it a look, and then uncontrollably leak out a smile.

What was really cool, back in my high school days. (80/90's) these muscle cars still dominated in acceleration. Nowadays, the new cars are so damn fast, the same could not be said.

Last edited:
My dream muscle car is a black 1971 Dodge Demon with a 500 HP 340/4 Bbl Thermo-Quad, built by me, and a 4 on the floor, oh man!! :D :yes:

My dream muscle car is a black 1971 Dodge Demon with a 500 HP 340/4 Bbl Thermo-Quad, built by me, and a 4 on the floor, oh man!! :D :yes:

That would indeed be quick........ I'm a former dart swinger owner. Those cars were so light, it was amazing.

Back in high school I used to be able to light up the tires for an entire block.

Just keep it forever!

What was really cool, back in my high school days. (80/90's) these muscle cars still dominated in acceleration. Nowadays, the new cars are so damn fast, the same could not be said.

Yes, that's true. A lot of new cars run the 1/4 quicker than my 66 GTO, run a faster top end, handle better, ride better and get better mileage!

But the total feel of the car, plus that sound when you run a full-throttle acceleration run or even just open up that 4-barrel is so fulfilling.

As a guy that keeps things a long time (my 66 GTO for 37 years, my 76 L-82 El Camino for 33 years and my 77 FXE for 32 years), I have an appreciation for taking care of things and appreciating them for what they are!

Here is my dart. It was my second car. I worked a long time to afford it, and my dad matched me 1/2 way. I did a complete restore, to the best of my abilities.

The other pic is of my mustang. (Its probally now considered a classic also. To me, it's just another modern car). But, man was this thing freaken fast. After I graduated college, this guy had so much engine work, it got a severe beating at every green light.

Man, I miss both these guys.

Edit: The dart had a full body restore, done by a 16 year old me. With some help and advice from my retired 80 something year old neighbor.

Last edited:
Yes, that's true. A lot of new cars run the 1/4 quicker than my 66 GTO, run a faster top end, handle better, ride better and get better mileage!

But the total feel of the car, plus that sound when you run a full-throttle acceleration run or even just open up that 4-barrel is so fulfilling.

As a guy that keeps things a long time (my 66 GTO for 37 years, my 76 L-82 El Camino for 33 years and my 77 FXE for 32 years), I have an appreciation for taking care of things and appreciating them for what they are!

Wow, you have had it for 37 years.... If your ever ready to part with it, send me a PM.

How long did he keep it?

What happened to it?
My Dad kept the car until about 1972 or 3. He traded it in on a Pontiac Tempest station wagon. The decision came down to two things: (1) the jump in gas prices brought on by the Arab oil embargo, and (2) the GTO was getting kind of cramped for a family of 5 to travel any distance in. Plus, the GTO didn't have air conditioning, and the summers in the piedmont of North Carolina can get pretty hot.

I wish my Dad had kept the car and garaged it (I think he does too, really). We could have parked in my Grandmother's barn and stored it for years, but at the time I guess trading it in seemed like the smart thing to do.

I find it funny, when I hear co-workers complaining about the handling of there cars in winter. The only thought that comes in to my head, "is if you only new". "70salesguy", I'm sure you know what I'm talking about.

1968 Dodge Charger 426 hemi.

IMHO beats the famous dukes charger (the 1969) design--i like the single section grill (the '69 has a bar down the middle making 2 sections) and the dual round tail lights. the '69 has a long flat tails, those little round ones are better. :p

Henry

oh, and make it bright green. :smoke:

I agree, but make mine black with the vinyl top :smoke: barring that, the '67 Charger; barring that, the 1970 1/2 Camaro Z28 R/S 350 :thmbsp:

Wait a second... :scratch2: ;) ;)

I think the humidity is at 100%

I find it funny, when I hear co-workers complaining about the handling of there cars in winter. The only thought that comes in to my head, "is if you only new". "70salesguy", I'm sure you know what I'm talking about.

We didn't get much "winter" where I grew up, in Charleston SC. :D

And in reply to Tedrick about the "lack of air conditioning" in the Piedmont of NC, I'm sure you understand why I bought the air-conditioned 66 GTO rather than the non A/C 68 Camaro that I liked also! :yes:

I went to school with a guy that had a 65 Mustang. No A/C, no P/S, no P/B, manual transmission, 289 standard (not a HyPo). Nice car, certainly a nice little "classic" now, but considered pretty plain back in the day. He claimed that he "liked to feel the road", that's why he didn't like P/S. He thought P/B were "dangerous", he disdained automatic transmissions and he didn't like A/C because he "liked to roll down the windows and feel the breeze".

Came the time that 8 of us were going to Savannah GA to take the FCC exam. He and I and 6 others. 1 of the guys had only a motorcycle (A Suzuki Water Buffalo, I believe) and the 5 others didn't have a car. 5 guys immediately wanted to ride with me with the A/C, but I would only allow 3 to go with me and the other 2 had to ride in the Mustang, along with the driver and 1 other! By the way, it WAS hot weather and muggy like it gets on the coast of SC and GA.

An interesting note. Shortly before graduation, the Mustang disappeared and suddenly he is driving a 67 or 68 Cougar with A/T, A/C, P/S and P/B!

He evidently underwent a "conversion". People with no money often try to convince others that poverty is a virtue! :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom