What's your favorite microbrew?

I'm not super picky about beer, but if I have the choice I usually go for a brown ale.
My go to is Big Rock Traditional Ale. Not exactly a micro brew, I guess, but not one of the big two(Molson/Labatt) up here, and they are semi-local.
A local brew that is similar is Alley Kat Amber. I also have a brew pub in my neighbourhood that makes its own beer. They have one called Bow Valley Brown Ale that is great.
I've also enjoyed one from a British Columbian brewery called Mt. Begbie. Their Tall Timber Ale hits the spot. This thread just made me realize that they are located in Revelstoke, and I just spent the night there last month, and forgot all about them. I could have stopped in and stocked up. Damn.:sigh:

I'm not really into "tasting and describing" beer, to be honest. If you like Newcastle Brown Ale, you would most likely enjoy any of the ones I mentioned.:yes:

Good beer is generally better at room temp.

I'm kind of in the middle on this. All the beers I listed taste better to me chilled vs room temp. Not close to freezing cold, but chilled/cold. And they are still enjoyable at room temp. Now, the bad beers, like Molson/Labatt, always taste way better really cold.

I work at a craft brewery( Flying Dog- Thanks, trhee!) so my usual favorite is one of the regulars I get as a benefit, our pale ale called Doggie Style. I do get to sample a few other breweries wares sometimes, and the brewers are always cooking up new things in our pilot system. After work happy hours are fun- there are 18 different brews on tap in the tasting room!

I'm kind of in the middle on this. All the beers I listed taste better to me chilled vs room temp. Not close to freezing cold, but chilled/cold. And they are still enjoyable at room temp. Now, the bad beers, like Molson/Labatt, always taste way better really cold.

yeah...those "light" beers taste like piss at room temperature.

yeah...those "light" beers taste like piss at room temperature.

I'll have to take your word for that.:D

+1 on Bell's

other Michigan brews with at least regional distribution are Short's and Founder's.
Short's makes an interesting Chocolate Breakfast Stout among other crazy flavors.
Founder's has a seasonal Double IPA called Double Trouble that is outstanding.

I have never been disappointed with Stone products, and their Arrogant Bastard is worth buying just to read the label.

Hoppy Hunting, Mr. New Moderator...(sir).

I don't have a favorite, but a short list::

1. Shorts Good Humans (if I had to pick only one)
2. Shorts Huma Lupa Licious (gotta be a major hophead for this one)
3. Arcadia Hopmouth (most balanced and smooth IPA I've had)
4. Bells Two Hearted Ale (very good IPA)
5. Founders Reds Rye (also very good IPA)
6. Arbor Brewing Ypsi Gypsi (a bitter pale ale)

Don't have a favorite .. but I much prefer micros to the standard beers … I try not to drink much corporate beer (national commercials) … unless I'm on a budget for a particular period of time.

One of the "local" microbrews that I tend to drink (more than others) is made by Great Lakes Brewery.
Brewpub in Cleveland Oh is great place to visit.

When I am on a budget .. Yuengling is one of my favorite brands. Damn good budget beer IMHO.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom