What's your go-to FM station?

I don't listen to those shows, but will check them out. Thanks for the heads up.

Not too many years ago there was a lady DJ at WRSI that would go up to a blues club somewhere in the New Hampshire wilderness and broadcast live from there.

It's been so long I can no longer remember her name or the name of the live broadcast (or even the name of the blues club)

What a great thread.

I like to listen in the Boston area, to the following, most often.

WMBR 88.1 FM This is the MIT station. Eclectic with rotating (volunteer) DJs. If you don't like what's on, tune in again in a couple hours. Some really devoted air talent and wonderful programming.
Program Schedule: http://www.wmbr.org/www/sched
WHRB 95.3 FM the station at Harvard. Jazz 5am to 1pm weekdays, Hillbilly at Harvard on Saturday mornings 9am to 1pm. depending on football, and the Met Opera. The Record Hospital is what I heard strange noises while under my covers on a yard sale radio when I was too young for over half of what I heard, late 70s early 80s.
Program Schedule: http://spinitron.com/radio/playlist.php?station=whrb&show=schedule&sv=l#here
I believe they both stream also.
Hmm, I'm going to have to check out the weekday jazz next week! I used to listen to The Record Hospital all the time when coming home at night. I'll have to get back into that at home. I guess I haven't had WHRB on all that much since I moved to the North Shore.

Going to preface this thread - if this already exists (I couldn't find anything), feel free to let me know and just delete this!

Basic guidelines:
  • Post your favorite FM station(s).
  • Include where you are in the world, and what the station plays.
  • If you have a favorite show, feel free to mention that as well.
  • If you feel like posting a photo with what you're listening through, extra credit for you!

Usually I end up listening to the radio when I'm simply too lazy to throw a record on, or when I'm feeling bored with my collection. I'm located in the North Shore area of Massachusetts. Recently my favorite station has been 91.9 WUMB (UMass Boston's station). They pretty much play folk all day long, with a good selection that has yet to really repeat itself.

My other is 89.7 WGBH, pretty much just for Eric Jackson's jazz show on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, from 9pm-12am. Eric is fantastic. I've been able to discover so much music via his show, and become more well-versed in jazz.
Eric Jackson has been on 'GBH for at least 40 years...glad to know he's still there. Just about everyone else I listened to on the station from the late 70s-early 90s is sadly gone. RIP Robert J. Lurtsema & Mai Cramer.

I grew-up listening to KSHE 95, the nations longest running R&R format (1967) here in St. Louis.

Sweetmeat, that's the pig you see in the post above and yes, that is supposed to be a joint hanging from his mouth.

Since their HD-2 station went on the air playing "older Rock & Roll" with no new stuff I listen to that.

Also, there's a station over in St. Charles, MO (other side of the Missouri river.) run by Lindenwood University, KCLC 89.1 HD-2. They also play "older Rock & Roll" In fact I'm listening to them now, enjoying Derek and the Dominos, Tell the Truth......

Last edited:
Living in the Toronto area gives me an embarrassment of riches for FM-radio stations. There is no shortage of rock or dance-music stations, so I will refrain from listing them. I can think of 8 off the top on my head. There are more.
- if you are into "indie" music tune into CFNY 102.1 (edge102). I have been listening to them, on and off, for almost 40 years. Recently in competition with 88.1 CIND "The New Indie". Both have had to up their games so this makes for great listening.
- if you want jazz, try 91.1 CJRT - known as jazz.fm. Non-profit, subscriber supported jazz. Occasionally bland, but always interesting.
- if you want classics, 96.3 FM "new classical" (though what is new about 200 year old music and the same tag line for the last 20 years beats me). Still 24-hour a day classical music - lovely
- finally, for a lot a variety, CBC Radio 2 at 94.1. Many different shows (check the schedule). Sunday nights are my favourite: Vinyl Tap hosted by Randy Bachman (of the Guess Who and BTO) - thematic shows about rock music and stories from Randy's time in the business - and he has met just about everyone - 6-8 PM. This is followed from 8-10PM by the Strombo show. George Stromboulopoulous hosts a show on new music from his house in Toronto, with live performances from his house. Yes, not a studio, but he has bands setup in his living-room. The show is a fascinating melange of what's new and what's old with a lean towards punk and the guests range from sports broadcasters to whatever musician is in town this week. Mostly Canadian content, but you never know who might show up. if you don't know who George is, check out Wikipedia - he has been all over the music scene in Toronto - with excursions into sports and TV talk shows on the CBC and CNN, since the 1990s. A fascinating man.

KNKX 88.5 (Jazz) and KING 98.1 (Classic) from Seattle/Tacoma area are very strong stations with excellent content and very little advertising.

Hmm, I'm going to have to check out the weekday jazz next week! I used to listen to The Record Hospital all the time when coming home at night. I'll have to get back into that at home. I guess I haven't had WHRB on all that much since I moved to the North Shore.
Check it out, strong signal. Should get all the way to Newburyport.
Wednesday at noon the Funk and Soul
on WMBR is something my describing would do a disservice. Well worth a listen.

Eric Jackson has been on 'GBH for at least 40 years...glad to know he's still there. Just about everyone else I listened to on the station from the late 70s-early 90s is sadly gone. RIP Robert J. Lurtsema & Mai Cramer.
Mai was a kindred spirit to be sure.

I have two great stations WPKN 89.5 out of Bridgeport Conn and WSBU 90.1 Stony Brook University on Long Island Both publicly funded so no commercials but they do fund drives.Both stations play everything and any thing DJs program their own shows lots of blues and jazz shows. WMIR 100.9 is classic rock they specialize in Bsides and very deep album cut. Mostly stuff you would never hear on AOR They all stream so check them out

I live in Cleveland Ohio, USA.
WCLV plays Classical Music, 24/7 commercial free. They used to be a commercial station but they sold their old station and more powerful station, downgraded to a lower power transmitter and had enough money left over to set up the WCLV Foundation which guaranteed that WCLV would remain a Classical station forever and would not be sold, and be commercial free.

This thread proves that creative broadcast radio is still alive and well, serving and entertaining listeners some places, if not everyone everywhere.
It definitely is. I'm really glad to have learned the value of radio and to not write it off as something less valuable than streaming like a lot of my generation seems to. Also worth noting that my partner served for 3 1/2 years on her college station and put her heart and soul into it, so there are at least a handful of us out there.

Back
Top Bottom