What's your latest audio purchase?

I replaced my Bose 201 Series lls in my HT setup in the living (mains, that I have had since new in 1991) with 301 Series V Cherry. We do use the front system (Sony STR 520) for music using the two channel setting but mainly for movies and TV in 7.1. I use Polks in the bedroom systems for music and love them. I liked the old 201s a lot and they were excellent for what I used them for which was small room systems and HT. I was going to get a set of vintage 301s (series 2,3,4) but I made a guy an offer on eBay for a set he just got but now needed to sell them fast for some reason so he took $150 in the Cherry which is a lot more difficult to find since now they only come in black. I knew HT would be awesome with them because of the great soundstage of 201/301s but was not sure about music. I put in a Chris Botti CD and was floored at the realism. I could hear the brushes on the drums and the pluck of the strings on the base like I was in the studio with them. The same CD sounds awesome with my Polks and Kenwood KR 850 (75WPC) but not as real. I use the Sony sub with them on the 2 channel setting and had to dial it back with the 301s a bit though.

I love both speakers and systems I have but dont think one is better than the other, they are just different.

Just made the initial contact to order one of these. As I understand it takes 10 days to build, then its going to be shipped. So I won't have it for a bit, but I am committed to one. I have already mentally erased the funds out of my audio kitty. Figured if I am going to say this power conditioning is an important thing, I should go whole hog and get a unit that can do the entire system, amp and all.

db_file_img_1196_1200x900.jpg

P10-rear-new-2000.jpg

Just made the initial contact to order one of these. As I understand it takes 10 days to build, then its going to be shipped. So I won't have it for a bit, but I am committed to one. I have already mentally erased the funds out of my audio kitty. Figured if I am going to say this power conditioning is an important thing, I should go whole hog and get a unit that can do the entire system, amp and all.

db_file_img_1196_1200x900.jpg

P10-rear-new-2000.jpg

Huh. It has an SD card slot?

Last edited:
Sennheiser RS 195 wireless headphones. I use hearing aids for my moderately severe mid-to-high frequency loss. These phones have multiple frequency-boost curves that augment my hearing aids and provide an extremely intimate listening experience. Using these, I can now hear -- for the first time ever -- the "scandalous" triangle in Liszt's E-flat piano concerto. That brought tears to my eyes.

RS 195.jpg

A nice pair of AR2ax speaks that have already been refoamed. I pulled a midrange and they were made in 1975. The guy said one of the tweets is bad and I'm hoping it's the pot (they sound terrible when I turn them, damn I think they have rocks in them). 20 bucks.
A friend on mine gave me the wire stands they sit on today too.
1483845639225-1518778374.jpg

A HiFiBerry DAC+ and an external hard-drive to go with my raspberry pi2 that I had been using to play MAME games on. I hope to get it set up with Volumio soon.

Had a break at work Saturday and thought I'd look at the electronics page on craigslist. Just posted 4 JBL L100's , sansui qrx-5500 and a dual 1229 . I wasn't going to reply because I'm never quick enough but it had only been up 20 minutes. I email with my phone number and he calls right back. Original owner airforce pilot bought overseas in 1974. If he used this system he didn't use it much . All original boxes in mint shape . The dual was all broke down in the original box and was a real treat to unpack and set up. He also had 3/8 inch polished edge glass panels made for the tops of the speakers.

Dunno if this qualifies as a "hi-fi" purchase, but I needed a tiny amp to use between a Toshiba flat screen with lousy sound to a pair of DCM CX-21 speakers. I have a ton of receivers available for use but there's no way to physically fit into this room/situation and massive power isn't requirement. It's just for a bedroom TV that spends most of it's life playing Pandora while we're getting dressed. So, I invested $28.00 for one of these tiny (4.5 x 5.5 x 1.5) things not really expecting too much.

I gotta say, I'm impressed. this thing serves it's purpose better than I expected. This just might be the best $28.00 I've spent.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FZKA28Y/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Amp Lepy-LP-2020A amp.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FZKA28Y/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:
Got this Sony 5 DVD/CD changer at a local thrift store for $10 that works perfectly. I bought a remote from eBay for $8 so I am in business for the front room setup. I use the PS4 for BluRay but like the changer for CDs etc. It is HDMI and works perfectly.

15940771_1391390330880910_2539546420670606731_n.jpg

Back
Top Bottom