What's your latest audio purchase?

Just bought a well-regarded Oppo DV-983H for $50 to replace my somewhat ailing Oppo DV-980H. It feels more substantial than the DV980H though. Almost like it has a beefier power supply in it. It has a pretty thick power cable too. I may open it up to have a look.

BTW, just a followup to that post. This is REALLY embarrassing though! LOL! I can tell you this is a mistake I have NEVER made before, and it was all due to my own laziness/stupidity/forgetfulness, but let me share it with you anyway out of self-deprecation.....

I mentioned about my "ailing" Oppo DV-980H. Well, lately, I had been having problems with the audio output on it. This would only happen sporadically, but every once in a while I'd be listening to a disc, and all of a sudden the audio would just cut out completely for about 4-5 seconds - no sound at all - and then it would come back. I tried using my disc laser lens cleaner several times on it, which has worked well on other units in the past, but no go. I just figured something was going on with it, and it was on its way out.

Anyway, I was unhooking it to install my newly acquired DV-983H, and when I reached around the back to pull out the RCA jacks, the white connector was barely attached, and the red one literally just about fell into my hand! LOL! So yeah, that pretty much explains my "audio issue" with it. LOL! :oops::oops::oops: The funny (sad?) thing is that I would normally check that, but I just forgot! :confused: I remember the last time I moved the unit I managed to yank the RCA cable a bit and I actually did stop and think to myself, 'Hmmmmm, I wonder if that affected the connection at the back? I should check that.....Nah! I'm sure it's fine. It wasn't yanked THAT hard!' Sure enough, it played fine, and played fine for a good year at least after that, so I never questioned it. But still, being that the audio was cutting out on it, I knew to check that first, but I just didn't think of it! lol This has to be the biggest wet-behind-the-ear rookie mistake I have ever made. Even as a kid I knew to check stuff like that first! WOW! *embarrassed lol :oops:

Well, at least I have two Oppo units (a DV-970HD and the DV-980H) as a backup to my newly-acquired DV-983H. :p

Well, I'm hoping my old Oppo DV-980H's health checks out 100% because it just about walks all over my newly acquired DV-983H sonically. And yep, they're both set up identically. Well-regarded the DV-983H may be, but right from the get-go it was readily apparent that the '983 is not in the same class as the '980. Overall, the same large soundstage is there, but it doesn't quite have the same body and weight of the '980. Overall, it sounds a bit lightweight. Instruments tend to overlap and smear each other together a bit as well, and it comes off sounding less cohesive as a whole. I would say that the '983 is perhaps a tad smoother, but at the cost of a certain amount of presence, grip, and focus on the music itself. Micro dynamics are a little lackluster, and there are missing and recessed parts of the overall composition of music in the '983 that are more readily apparent through the '980. In comparison, it just seems to be more lightweight, reticent and less focused, and it seems to be holding more of the music back compared to the '980. The '983 just seems to have me searching for the music instead of the music coming to me in the way it does through the '980.

I know my review seems pretty harsh, but the DV-983H is certainly by no means the worst sounding player I've ever owned. But I am very picky, and at this stage I demand better than what it seems to deliver. I've owned several other pricier players, and this just underscores why I chose the DV-980H as my main CD player to begin with. I'm going to listen to more music through the DV-983H tomorrow, but so far I'm not terribly impressed.

Last edited:
VTL 20 BIT DAC with dual Super Analog D20400 chips.

Attachments

• 1468714-vtl-20-bit-digital-to-analog-converter.jpg
    1468714-vtl-20-bit-digital-to-analog-converter.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 19
@xero-D-hero BTW, just out of curiosity, what is the "action"/physical movement of the switch like on the model you have? Is it at all different from what I described with mine?
Like I said I have'nt even really looked it over much yet,it was bought strictly as a fix-R-upper,LOL. ;)
I just unboxed that GFA-5400 to make sure it was'nt smashed to hell during shipping then put it up (more-or-less) unchecked.
I had acquired 2 Adcom mosfet amps around that same time,both cheap.both w/issues,the other is a GFA-5300 that has a channel out.
I bought 'em because I wanted the line-up of the bipolar Mk1 amps (GFA-535/GFA-545/GFA-555) & line-up of the mosfets (GFA-5200/GFA-5300/GFA-5400/GFA-5500).
I had all the Mk1 amps (all working so far),and a nice/working GFA-5200 so picking up the GFA-5300 & GFA-5400 cheap went a long way towards filling out the collection.
Now all I need is to find the right GFA-5500 and I'll probably stop hunting for Adcom amps,but all that is serious back-burner stuff right now.

I was told the GFA-5400 was stuck in the "on" position and would power up as soon as it was plugged in and other than that it supposedly works fine.

So I figured if I ran it w/an Adcom ACE-515 conditioner/sequencer the power switch situation would be a non-issue as the ACE would take care of the on/off chores.

I probably punched the power button a time or two when I got it to confirm it was stuck...
And I'm very familiar with how those switches work,so I'm sure I confirmed it was indeed stuck.
But I dont much remember what the action really felt like,pretty sure it was just no movement what-so-ever,so yeah DOA.

I was thinking if need be there may be a way to un-stick it,but have no confirmable info to suggest such @ this point

HTH

Bret P..

Thanks Moe; It's hard to tell in the pic but it's an 831. I'll have to check on the differences and I'm thinking there can't be much between the two.

Picked up an AudioControl C-22 the other day. Need another EQ like I need a heart attack. Price was right, looks great, seller demo'd it - works fine, so I pulled the trigger. Might have to set up another system so I can use it.

512780028.jpg

Last edited:
May not be a component, but it's for components. An electric duster. No more cans, no compressor to get moisture inside of it, just a 500w Neodymium magnet motor and some attachments. It'll get rid of all the dust.
IMG_4335.JPG

Back
Top Bottom