What's your latest audio purchase?

Pick-up's this week include:
Pioneer KA-6800 Amp --> Excited for this guy. Flouroscan meters and a wonderful look in a small package
Sanyo TP-1010 Turntable --> Like the look, new cartridge ordered
KEF Canton III's --> very impressed with these bookshelves
IMG_2326.JPG

Not quite the deal I thought. When I went and picked them up they really sounded great. Never really turned them up though. Today when I had the time to hook them up they just were complete crap. Fleetwood Mac at 40w through my mcs and they turned to mush! In doing some research I find woofers are not correct. On top of that the guy I got em from is a member here and he posted a thread a year ago on the same subject. What bothers me most is that I treat folks how I would lime to be treated. Find I just don't get screwed to awful much if at all. Karma I reckon. Sitting here wondering what the heck I did and to who. Meh!

Well...you have built up some karma already by trading away an honestly described Luxman and receiving "less" than what you gave up. Something nice should be coming your way. So, basically, the L780 had a pair of non-"ADS" woofers? Start looking for a pair of correct ADS woofers and you're back in business. The L780, L880 and L980 are all highly regarded. Where are you located anyway?

Well ...I just bought a Concept 4.5D (in the process of polishing it up) from another AKer for $10! It sounds great but a little on the warm sounding side...will try with different speakers. They are built like tanks!

IMG_2597.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2595.JPG
    IMG_2595.JPG
    117.4 KB · Views: 8
I had the pleasure of spending a hard earned $120 ($60 a piece) for these....

Sansui AU-999

Scott 399

Jeez, man. Some of the gear going for the prices I see in this thread just about makes me nauseous. lol I'd take either one of those for $60 all day long! Although, the Sansui would wind up costing me a whole lot more because I'd send it to QRX Restorations for him to fully restore/tweak it for another $425. :D Although, I eventually plan on sending my 7070 to him. ;)

Added a KA-801 and a KT-815 to the arsenal last week - $250 CDN funds_:D

Oh, so you were the one who snagged that one! ;)

Last edited:
Last thing I bought was a Sherwood S7100-A, a few months ago for $15.
I paid that much again for replacement dial and stereo indicator lamps.
Another $14 went to replace a broken tape monitor switch, so it is no longer the bargain it was initially.
However, I have been very pleased with its performance.

LOL I actually said to myself in the truck on the way that although I vowed to lay off buying for a while here I was Cavan in_:rflmao:
What can I say - she winked at me.

Oh, I know the kind: really pretty on the outside, likes to be turned on and have its knobs fiddled with. :p

Well...you have built up some karma already by trading away an honestly described Luxman and receiving "less" than what you gave up. Something nice should be coming your way. So, basically, the L780 had a pair of non-"ADS" woofers? Start looking for a pair of correct ADS woofers and you're back in business. The L780, L880 and L980 are all highly regarded. Where are you located anyway?

Sure hope so Pat! It is looking like it's coming my way. Using the let go app yesterday I inquired about a pair of Yamaha ns 690's. They looked perfect and the gents asking price was $300. I hollered and asked if he was interested in doing any trading. He said no but he would take $100. Going to have a look see thursday.

In Indiana btw

Sure hope so Pat! It is looking like it's coming my way. Using the let go app yesterday I inquired about a pair of Yamaha ns 690's. They looked perfect and the gents asking price was $300. I hollered and asked if he was interested in doing any trading. He said no but he would take $100. Going to have a look see thursday.

In Indiana btw

No kidding...going from $300 to $100! Just be aware that you may need to refoam the woofer surrounds....and test to make sure all midrange and tweeters are working. The drivers are not cheap....good luck.

Been a busy month!

Picked up some gorgeous Advent 5012s made of real walnut for $50. (mot my picture, but they look identical to these)

s-l1600.jpg

Picked up an absolutely stunning pair of Scott Bostonian/Audiophile Series One monitors for $10.

IMG_1773.jpg

Picked up a pair of the crazy-ass rare Sony K-90ED floorstanders (with B&W kevlar mids!) for $120. (they are f'ing amazing speakers!)

IMG_1783.JPG

No kidding...going from $300 to $100! Just be aware that you may need to refoam the woofer surrounds....and test to make sure all midrange and tweeters are working. The drivers are not cheap....good luck.

It looks as if they are mk1's! I haven'the done real well on the couple speaker buys I made. The epi 3's I picked up were butchered with the po sticking a cheap woofer in that was smaller and both mids were are larger profile so even if I found the mids the screw holes are there. They will be a project and end up duracoated once I source drivers. The ads's will also be redone in a dark walnut as they have some minor flaws in the finish. They appear to have mission 8" woofers in them and they have actually grown on me sound wise. The highs on these just do it! I can live with the bass falling off. Wife has been on a Fleetwood Mac kick and I came in the other day and thought it sounded really good! The ads's have been put on 2 ft stands so that may have Helped? The yamaha's will take over main duties and the 780's will reside on the sides of our sofa.

I finally got a Marantz receiver. I replaced a Kenwood KR 4600 30 watt unit in the front room with the 2220B and now I know why people pay what they do for Marantz units. It blows the Kenwood into the weeds, period. I am using vintage RS Nova 7s and I thought they sounded very nice before but now they just floor me with how full the sound is....... with 10 LESS watts (rated anyway).

I bought it from a well known seller of Maranz on eBay and it came in beautiful condition inside and out.....cleaned with new LEDs.

18698343_1531573973529211_6490031882671511855_n.jpg

18622159_1531574003529208_7743494093681596453_n.jpg

18622175_1531574026862539_8823747342895591270_n.jpg

18581925_1531574680195807_8095607022001613739_n.jpg

Been a busy month!

Picked up some gorgeous Advent 5012s made of real walnut for $50. (mot my picture, but they look identical to these)

View attachment 936347
Picked up an absolutely stunning pair of Scott Bostonian/Audiophile Series One monitors for $10.

View attachment 936342

Picked up a pair of the crazy-ass rare Sony K-90ED floorstanders (with B&W kevlar mids!) for $120. (they are f'ing amazing speakers!)

View attachment 936344

I have a pair of Sony K-90ED speakers along with 2 pair of bookshelf K-30ED and a SS-CNK10ED center in a 7.2 surround sound set up. Sony older 12" subs. I must say I am very impressed with the performance. Highs sparkle but they definitely need some bass augmentation. I got them on closeout when Circuit City carried them. Dirt cheap too.

Back
Top Bottom