What's your latest audio purchase?

Samson C01U usb microphone and boom arm I will use with the internet radio station I run Phat Beats Radio

Yamaha RX-V2500.
Hi. I know your post is over a year old but I thought I'd give it shot. I came across one of these at a yard sale for 20 bucks. I asked the guy what was wrong with it and he just said no power. I took a chance hoping it was a fuse. Fuse was dead, Replaced it, Tried top power it up. It came on for a second, my room lights dimmed then it shut off, Just wondering what if any issues you had with yours and if you think its worth fixing. I;m in no rush as I have a couple of systems up and running, l just have a thing for yammy gear and would like to revive this beast if possible. I'm in ontario as well

Hi. I know your post is over a year old but I thought I'd give it shot. I came across one of these at a yard sale for 20 bucks. I asked the guy what was wrong with it and he just said no power. I took a chance hoping it was a fuse. Fuse was dead, Replaced it, Tried top power it up. It came on for a second, my room lights dimmed then it shut off, Just wondering what if any issues you had with yours and if you think its worth fixing. I;m in no rush as I have a couple of systems up and running, l just have a thing for yammy gear and would like to revive this beast if possible. I'm in ontario as well

My post could have been 10 years old, and I'd still respond to you. ;) :)

Well, unlike many people here, unfortunately I am not technically-minded when it comes to electronic diagnosis and repairs. I would test the fuse you put in to see if it blew as well though. To me it sounds like either there could be a power supply issue that could be blowing fuses (perhaps) before the speaker relay clicks in, or it is going into some kind of protection mode. But more than likely it isn't, because the unit would usually stay on and it would likely say something like "PROTECT" on the front panel. Considering how it turned on for a second and your lights dimmed before it shut off, it might be something that is causing a momentary current draw (or is allowing current to bleed through where it shouldn't), but I can't say for sure. As for reliability of these units, I never had any issues with my RX-V2500 (although, I didn't have mine for very long; another Yamaha model replaced it), nor have I had any issues whatsoever with any other Yamaha receivers from this era. They seem to be very reliable and well designed pieces.

Is it worth fixing though? Well, that's all in the eye of the beholder, really. To me, personally I think any piece of decent audio gear is worth fixing. But the cost of repairs is certainly a factor as well. Especially for something you have never heard before, and don't know if you'll like more than what you already have. However, as much as it pains me to say it, for the amount of money it would cost to have it diagnosed and repaired, you could probably find another one without any issues for the same price. I don't know where in Ontario you are, but I have seen them go for as low as $80, but typically, I see them in the $150-$250 range though. So, I guess it becomes a matter of whether you think a unit like the RX-V2500 is worth pursuing over the gear you have? I'd tend to say yes because it is a good unit. I'd actually like to go into more of this, but unfortunately I have to step away from my computer, but I'll send you a message either later tonight or tomorrow. :)

You say you have a thing for Yamaha gear though, so just out of curiosity, what are you running now?

Cheers.

Last edited:
Just picked up a modern receiver - a Pioneer SX-20. Stuck in protection but I figured for $30 why not have a look at it. Sadly no digital inputs but it has got 100 WPC.

My post could have been 10 years old, and I'd still respond to you. ;) :)

Well, unlike many people here, unfortunately I am not technically-minded when it comes to electronic diagnosis and repairs. I would test the fuse you put in to see if it blew as well though. To me it sounds like either there could be a power supply issue that could be blowing fuses (perhaps) before the speaker relay clicks in, or it is going into some kind of protection mode. But more than likely it isn't, because the unit would usually stay on and it would likely say something like "PROTECT" on the front panel. Considering how it came on for a second and your lights dimmed before it shut off, it might be something that is causing a momentary current draw (or is allowing current to bleed through where it shouldn't), but I can't say for sure. As for reliability of these units, I never had any issues with my RX-V2500 (although, I didn't have mine for very long; another Yamaha model replaced it), nor have I had any issues whatsoever with any other Yamaha receivers from this era. They seem to be very reliable and well designed pieces.

Is it worth fixing though? Well, that's all in the eye of the beholder, really. To me, personally I think any piece of decent audio gear is worth fixing. But the cost of repairs is certainly a factor as well. Especially for something you have never heard before, and don't know if you'll like more than what you already have. However, as much as it pains me to say it, for the amount of money it would cost to have it diagnosed and repaired, you could probably find another one without any issues for the same price. I don't know where in Ontario you are, but I have seen them go for as low as $80. But typically, I see them in the $150-$250 range though. So, I guess it becomes a matter of whether you think a unit like the RX-V2500 is worth pursuing over the gear you have? I'd tend to say yes because it is a good unit. I'd actually like to go into more of this, but unfortunately I have to step away from my computer, but I'll send you a message either later tonight or tomorrow. :)

You say you have a thing for Yamaha gear though, so just out of curiosity, what are you running now?

Cheers.

Hey there. Thanks for getting back to me. As I mentioned I have a number of other amps so theres no rush on getting the rx up and running. I've always had good luck with yamaha gear so I just didnt want this one ending up in a landfill. Talked to a buddy that has all the test equipment and I'll be dropping it off with him tomorrow to take a look. If it's not going to be ridiculous for the parts I'll probably get it up an running. I've had too many yamaha integrateds and receivers over the years to list here. Just sold one yamaha htr to a friend and gave another to my brother. The only yamaha gear I have right now is a dsp 492 that I use mainly as a pre amp for a pair of external power amps and a tx500 tuner. I have a denon avr with pre outs that I use for 7.1 when I want, but mostly listen to music. I'll let you know what becomes of it. Cheers

Hey there. Thanks for getting back to me. As I mentioned I have a number of other amps so theres no rush on getting the rx up and running. I've always had good luck with yamaha gear so I just didnt want this one ending up in a landfill. Talked to a buddy that has all the test equipment and I'll be dropping it off with him tomorrow to take a look. If it's not going to be ridiculous for the parts I'll probably get it up an running. I've had too many yamaha integrateds and receivers over the years to list here. Just sold one yamaha htr to a friend and gave another to my brother. The only yamaha gear I have right now is a dsp 492 that I use mainly as a pre amp for a pair of external power amps and a tx500 tuner. I have a denon avr with pre outs that I use for 7.1 when I want, but mostly listen to music. I'll let you know what becomes of it. Cheers

Hey, no worries. That's what AK's all about. We're here to help each other out if we can. :) I'm glad to see that you have someone to look into your RX-V2500 for you. Hopefully it's just a simple fix. Keep me updated on it! Cheers. :)

Now this may not look like an Audio related purchase, but I bought it with a specific purpose in mind. It was only $1.00 at a yard sale, and has given me a bit more accuracy in the application I'm using it for.
Caliper.jpg
Hint, I've grown tired of using protractors.

Dynaco MKIII's
0620172158.jpg

McIntosh MC250 & MX110 & Klipsch Cornwall II's.
0614170916.jpg

I just bought two of these little speaker protection board kits on Ebay. $8.85 U.S., including shipping.

Turn on delay, DC offset protection, disconnect on AC loss. My plan is to put one in a Pioneer SX-636, the other probably in a Nikko NR-819.

They are built around the UPC1237 chip, and the only power connection required is 12-24 VAC. The AC gets rectified on the board, regulated by a 7812, and powers twin 12V Omron relays. No instructions or schematics, but the board is well-marked and construction took about 30 minutes.

Tests OK using an old transformer and a 9V battery.

speaker protector.jpg

Last edited:
I just bought two of these little speaker protection boards kits on Ebay. $8.85 U.S., including shipping.

Turn on delay, DC offset protection, disconnect on AC loss. My plan is to put one in a Pioneer SX-636, the other probably in a Nikko NR-819.

They are built around the UPC1237 chip, and the only power connection required is 12-24 VAC. The AC gets rectified on the board, regulated by a 7812, and powers twin 12V Omron relays. No instructions or schematics, but the board is well-marked and construction took about 30 minutes.

Tests OK using an old transformer and a 9V battery.

Let us know how that works out. I've seen those before and always wondered if they worked well.

Peachtree DAC-it X. Not hooked up yet. but needed a DAC...any DAC...in my office system, if nothing else to address the flaky 3.5 mm headphone out connection I was using! USB digital out should be much more solid and any sonic gains are just a plus at this point.

This old girl was on the giveaway table, actually the ground, at a garage sale this morning, so she came home with me.

The guy didn't know if it works or not..... we'll soon find out.

Sherwood S7800

EDIT: Cleaned up beautiful and works well. Low end piece, but for zero dollars...

Attachments

• IMG_20170623_182032.jpg
    IMG_20170623_182032.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_20170630_233405010.jpg
    IMG_20170630_233405010.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Since my Akai cassette deck proved to be lacking in the "ability to play a cassette at the correct speed" department, I bought a used Nakamichi that works a treat. It became necessary after I bought a music collection that contained around 200 prerecorded cassettes. Funny thing is, they are the first cassettes I've ever owned. For some reason, I never really bothered with them back when I had a brand new Technics player.

Back
Top Bottom