What's your latest audio purchase?

20180108_170022.jpg 20180108_171042.jpg These MH 750's came in today. MH stands for music hose and the cables actually are the size of a 5/8'' garden hose. Biggest speaker wire I've ever seen and it shames the Terminator 4's that it's replacing

Latest--a couple of used PS Audio AC-3 power cords. One more left to completely replace all the cords in the system. I also put in a hospital-grade wall outlet.

Possible near-future purchase: there's a pair of speakers about 10½ hours away I'm eyeballing. Price is too good to pass up. There's a higher model possibly available locally but the cost is maybe 75% more, so, somewhat outside my budget.

Just bought a Yamaha RX-770 85 watt receiver from the Goodwill Auction site.

Bidders on the Goodwill site are not as sophisticated as on ebay. There were two RX-770 up for bid, 3 days apart. The first one was bid up and the second listing was ignored. I got the second one for about $20 less than the first one.

I also bought a Denon DRA-335R 40 watt receiver. Same deal. Two listings 3 days apart. I placed the only bid on the first and got it for less than the current bid on the second. (I consider shipping and handling costs when comparing.)

KEF LS-50.
I bought some Monoprice Affinity speaker cable as a gift for a friend just starting out. It's only $22 for a 6-foot pair with gold-plated bananas. It made a world of difference from the generic junk speaker wire he was using. Matter of fact, it sounded great, so I bought myself a pair.

2 recent purchases from AKr's, one direct and one indirect, to step up my digital music game. Most recently a Schiit Bifrost Uber DAC with USB from onebean. Anticipating its arrival in a few days. My first table top DAC! Last week I got a beautiful 27" iMac from wiredbecker for my wife to replace her 2007 iMac which is finally just to slow to put-up with. The audio connection is that I can use the old iMac to try out Daphile as a dedicated server for a while before spending any coin on a Mac mini. Win win.

B&W PX headphones. Pretty damned impressive so far! Mine are black/gray though.

bowers-and-wilkins-px-gold-450x267.jpg

Picked up a Yamaha R-9 receiver, vintage 1983, from a Goodwill auction. Not a fantastic deal, but I am happy. Cosmetically, looks good except for a few nicks and the missing front flip-down cover. Soundwise, it is good with my test speakers. It needs a thorough DeOxit treatment. I can't wait to hook it up to some good speakers and give it a workout, particularly since it has a Class A option.

The Speaker A binding posts are broken, though. I want to change them anyway because they do not accept banana plugs, just bare wire.

Yamaha R-9 front side IMG_0165.JPG Yamaha R-9 broken speaker posts IMG_0168.JPG

Picked up a Yamaha R-9 receiver, vintage 1983, from a Goodwill auction. Not a fantastic deal, but I am happy. Cosmetically, looks good except for a few nicks and the missing front flip-down cover. Soundwise, it is good with my test speakers. It needs a thorough DeOxit treatment. I can't wait to hook it up to some good speakers and give it a workout, particularly since it has a Class A option.

The Speaker A binding posts are broken, though. I want to change them anyway because they do not accept banana plugs, just bare wire.

View attachment 1090737 View attachment 1090738

Specifications
Tuning range: FM, MW

Power output: 125 watts per channel into 8Ω (stereo)

Frequency response: 10Hz to 50kHz

Total harmonic distortion: 0.015%

Damping factor: 60

Input sensitivity: 0.16mV (MC), 2.5mV (MM), 150mV (line)

Signal to noise ratio: 75dB (MC), 92dB (MM), 103dB (line)

Channel separation: 60dB (MM), 60dB (line)

Output: 150mV (line)

Speaker load impedance: 6Ω (minimum)

Dimensions: 435 x 151 x 423mm

Weight: 12kg

https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/yamaha/r-9.shtml

Back
Top Bottom