1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

What's your latest audio purchase?

Discussion in 'Dollars and Sense' started by Netdewt, Jan 20, 2012.

1. superdog

superdog AK Member

JamVal likes this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. greymatter

greymatter AK Subscriber Subscriber

A set of Analysis plus silver ovals speaker cables , and picking up some Analysis interconnects.

3. cpt_paranoia

cpt_paranoia Well-Known Member

I've got a couple of very similar things, based on the TDA8932, bought to replace the amp in some cheap active speakers. Powered by an old laptop supply, they sound remarkably good. Still awaiting me getting around to building a little PCB to add the crossover components, and a 5V PSU to power a Chromecast audio; the intention was to make little multicasting speakers...

I've also got a SANWU stereo module, based on the TDA7492, with a CSR bluetooth audio module, cost me £6.82 delivered. I recently hooked that up to a pair of Eltax Jupiter floorstanders I rescued from outside someone's house (I asked first...), and it drove them with no problem. Sadly, one of the Jupiters had a blown tweeter, so probably uneconomic to repair. I let a colleague borrow it, as he was looking to buy some streaming active speakers, and he decided to buy some cheap 2nd hand speakers, and one of the modules instead. Now he's fired up to start modifying it (since the CSR module is programmable). He's a very good integrator, so I'm hoping he'll sort out the foibles like power cycle pops, and loud BT tones, and maybe tweak the renderer. Then I'll copy what he's done...

Poultrygeist likes this.
  4. Bruins

Bruins Active Member

Not upside down

JamVal likes this.
  5. superdog

superdog AK Member

I know its not but the design makes it look upon first glance that it upside down.

JamVal likes this.
  6. fishondwan

fishondwan AK Subscriber Subscriber

7. zunde

zunde Well-Known Member

Posted about this in the turntable forum but I picked up this BIC 40z turntable/ changer last week for $10:

20180130_195948.jpg

Surprisingly, it included the original 45 adapter and stacker. Thanks to the help of a couple of other AK'ers (and a few YouTube videos) I was able to disassemble, clean, oil, and reassemble, and it now works perfectly

Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
    boza likes this.
  8. Balifly

Balifly Listening Subscriber

55 jazz LPs at $1.00@ :beerchug:

9. TomBig58

TomBig58 AK Subscriber Subscriber

I picked up an awesome vintage beast. Rotel RX-802 circa 1975. Two feet wide!! , weighing in at a robust 35.5lbs, and awful purty to look at. A parking lot transaction we spoke at length about it prior to meeting. Last minute he knocked off over 50% from our agreed price because one channel was playing considerably lower than the other. We both figured it would go toward a service invoice. It turns out the audio mute switch (20db) is a little wonky and it's not as bad as he thought based on my preliminary observations. I think I'll take the good karma and have it professionally tuned up once I clean and lube it. I'm gonna call him and tell him about it and he'll probably be pleased. The FM comes in without antenna in a room where I have to play with the dipole to get decent signal with other receivers. Here's some stock pics as I haven't taken any of my own yet but it's in super shape. The wood veneer case is a little faded but should clean up nice. I'm a happy camper.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/rotel/rx-802.shtml

superdog, Ds2000, xero-D-hero and 6 others like this.
  10. lissenup

lissenup Active Member

Did not really need but could not resist the thrift store price. Man these things can pour out the volume with clarity. JBL Control 5. I think I may be doing some near filed listening. 16009123-5F21-404B-9B77-BE3DF314FB2C.jpeg

xero-D-hero and boza like this.
  11. markshan

markshan Sir Thrift a Lot Subscriber

I bought a pair of those for a buck but haven't gotten to refoaming them yet.

12. lissenup

lissenup Active Member

Wow, good deal. Paid nine bucks for mine. Re-foam them. Not hi-fi but a blast to listen to. They are replacing my L-26’s as a workshop speaker.

13. markshan

That seems a good application for them. The cabinets seem very rugged. My impression is that they are probably intended for small PA uses, like a fixed speaker in a hallway or a church. I figured they would be handy for those times you need a "grab and go" speaker but not a huge PA speaker.

14. Hawkeye83

Hawkeye83 Super Member

I almost snagged one of these, along with a Citation II amp and Thorens TD-124...well, by almost, I mean I saw an ad with those items and emailed the guy, lol. Nice!

TomBig58 likes this.
  15. TomBig58

TomBig58 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Very nice MZ. I know you've been waiting. Enjoy!

MarZutra likes this.
  16. richd860

richd860 Speaker Freak!!! Subscriber

Well,I have to say,that I just made a decent scroe tonight. On an online auction,local to me,I just won a pair of Working Vandersteen Model 2 speakers,for $140.They look to be in good shape,from the pics they provided on the auction.Unfortunately,I won't be able to physically look at them,until Saturday,when I pick them up.I've been pretty lucky on that site so far.In the last 6 months,I've purchased my PSB Stratus Goldi speakers for $300,a pair of ROR Model G's for $50,a pair of Mission Freedom 770's for $50,a pair of New large Advents for $50,and now the Vandersteens.I'll post some pics,when I get them.

17. markshan

I'm not a big fan, but that is an amazing price.

18. jdsalinger

jdsalinger AK Subscriber Subscriber

Yamaha M2, C2a, P2075 for literally peanuts. I bought all of these "sound unheard".
    Never heard Yamaha's prior to purchase. I think I am done now. THIS is the sound I've been searching for, for 10 years. :music:

Here are some pics of the C2a. I will add more. In the process of deep cleaning, adjusting voltages and re-upping thermal compound.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
  19. motorstereo

motorstereo AK Subscriber Subscriber

That's quite the profound difference in sound from the Scott; Pilot and Fisher tube gear in your sig. The Yamaha's are going to displace them?

20. jdsalinger

jdsalinger AK Subscriber Subscriber

Well, it's only been a couple of days, so too soon to tell but yes, both of these Yammies have me thinking they will displace the other gear. I've never thought I'd become an SS guy, but the sound quality is superb and nothing like any other SS gear I've heard. Also, I've been obsessed with 60's tube gear for about 10 years and now my tastes are starting to move towards high end 1980's and early 90's gear. Oh and also..... I like amps that are built like tanks. :)

Leland47 and fishondwan like this.