What's your latest audio purchase?

I picked up an awesome vintage beast. Rotel RX-802 circa 1975. Two feet wide!! , weighing in at a robust 35.5lbs, and awful purty to look at. A parking lot transaction we spoke at length about it prior to meeting. Last minute he knocked off over 50% from our agreed price because one channel was playing considerably lower than the other. We both figured it would go toward a service invoice. It turns out the audio mute switch (20db) is a little wonky and it's not as bad as he thought based on my preliminary observations. I think I'll take the good karma and have it professionally tuned up once I clean and lube it. I'm gonna call him and tell him about it and he'll probably be pleased. The FM comes in without antenna in a room where I have to play with the dipole to get decent signal with other receivers. Here's some stock pics as I haven't taken any of my own yet but it's in super shape. The wood veneer case is a little faded but should clean up nice. I'm a happy camper.

653667-vintage_rotel_rx_802_receiver.jpg

653662-vintage_rotel_rx_802_receiver.jpg

653666-vintage_rotel_rx_802_receiver.jpg

https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/rotel/rx-802.shtml

Did not really need but could not resist the thrift store price. Man these things can pour out the volume with clarity. JBL Control 5. I think I may be doing some near filed listening. 16009123-5F21-404B-9B77-BE3DF314FB2C.jpeg

as a workshop speaker.
That seems a good application for them. The cabinets seem very rugged. My impression is that they are probably intended for small PA uses, like a fixed speaker in a hallway or a church. I figured they would be handy for those times you need a "grab and go" speaker but not a huge PA speaker.

Well,I have to say,that I just made a decent scroe tonight. On an online auction,local to me,I just won a pair of Working Vandersteen Model 2 speakers,for $140.They look to be in good shape,from the pics they provided on the auction.Unfortunately,I won't be able to physically look at them,until Saturday,when I pick them up.I've been pretty lucky on that site so far.In the last 6 months,I've purchased my PSB Stratus Goldi speakers for $300,a pair of ROR Model G's for $50,a pair of Mission Freedom 770's for $50,a pair of New large Advents for $50,and now the Vandersteens.I'll post some pics,when I get them.

Yamaha M2, C2a, P2075 for literally peanuts. I bought all of these "sound unheard".
Never heard Yamaha's prior to purchase. I think I am done now. THIS is the sound I've been searching for, for 10 years. :music:

Here are some pics of the C2a. I will add more. In the process of deep cleaning, adjusting voltages and re-upping thermal compound.

index.php

index.php

index.php

Last edited:
Yamaha M2, C2a, P2075 for literally peanuts. I bought all of these "sound unheard".
Never heard Yamaha's prior to purchase. I think I am done now. THIS is the sound I've been searching for, for 10 years. :music:
That's quite the profound difference in sound from the Scott; Pilot and Fisher tube gear in your sig. The Yamaha's are going to displace them?

The Yamaha's are going to displace them?

Well, it's only been a couple of days, so too soon to tell but yes, both of these Yammies have me thinking they will displace the other gear. I've never thought I'd become an SS guy, but the sound quality is superb and nothing like any other SS gear I've heard. Also, I've been obsessed with 60's tube gear for about 10 years and now my tastes are starting to move towards high end 1980's and early 90's gear. Oh and also..... I like amps that are built like tanks. :)

Picked up a Gold Aero tubed pre-amplifier off of ebay. Can't find any info on the web about it. Decent build....haven't tested it yet.DSCF7413.JPG DSCF7414.JPG

LP GEAR CARBON FIDELITY CF3600LE phono cartridge .... I hope it holds me over till I find what I want or think I want....

Here are some pics of the C2a. I will add more. In the process of deep cleaning, adjusting voltages and re-upping thermal compound.

index.php

index.php

index.php
Yamahas are very good gear.I listen almost exclusively to them.Going from other gear but not tube gear.

6F2DA3A0-60CB-499A-8899-6096AF574A89.jpeg 7CA84399-0C03-4D7B-8B76-897F10B25F8A.jpeg CB431CBA-AEFF-439E-B47B-5867EB0B2BD4.png C782E318-BC1E-4823-8328-944922C7777F.jpeg 745E56BD-4173-4612-AD5C-DF94CA408CE2.jpeg Two AR 3 ‘s, a Sansui 5000x receiver and a REK O KUT s-34 H turntable with a Micropoise tone arm. Oh ya and a couple of Kenwood receivers. All from the same lil ol’ Lady.

Plus I have to go back next week to sort through her recently passed electrical engineer husbands meters and what she is calling junk.

Now let thee cleaning begin

Back
Top Bottom