1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

What's your latest audio purchase?

Discussion in 'Dollars and Sense' started by Netdewt, Jan 20, 2012.

1. abpeep

abpeep OU Sucks!! Subscriber

Bought this Parasound P5 for my Christmas (sorry about the flash)

P5.jpg

kurtgo, boza and Eywadude like this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Eric n Kc

Eric n Kc AK Subscriber Subscriber

Hey
    Marantz 8b. It played for about 1 hour then went on the Fritz. It's in the shop now ,my tech called and said he can't find much wrong with it to cause the loud ass noise that it started making. So he's replacing the selenium rectifier and a few caps that don't check out.
    I should have it back early next week.
    Ain't vintage tube amps great.:whip:
    20180118_103537.jpg

Hawkeye83, kurtgo, Leland47 and 2 others like this.
  3. MER71

MER71 Super Member

This week....Sherwood S7110B receiver , pair of KLH model 6 and broken Scott 344c receiver. $45 for all. The Scott came with the 6s.

boza and Eywadude like this.
  4. markshan

markshan Sir Thrift a Lot Subscriber

Selenium rectifiers should be replaced anyway. Does it still make the noise when you put it down flat?

5. Eric n Kc

Hey
    What do you mean? At low volume? It did stop. If I remember correctly. Eric

6. markshan

markshan Sir Thrift a Lot Subscriber

I was goofing on your picture.

7. Eric n Kc

Hey
    Oh, ok. I might have had a few last night.:rflmao:
    It's the only picture I have. It acted up so soon after I got it. Eric

8. elcoholic

elcoholic Jet Fuel Genius Subscriber

9. fleksta

fleksta AK Subscriber Subscriber

Found this Polaroid PBT3032 "retro" bluetooth speaker at Big Lots. For $25 I couldn't resist trying it out.

Despite the low price, I'm a little disappointed about the fit & finish. The grill "cloth" is actually woven plastic strands and sags a little in the middle. The toggle switch has a nice assertive click on/off but the volume pot turns rough and is slightly crooked. The top plate has two small LEDs, red for power and blue for bluetooth. Unfortunately the AUX port is also on top, rather than hidden on the back with the USB charging connection.

The sound is decent though, plenty loud for working in the garage or hanging out on the patio. It is ported in the back, and sounds to me like there is some "loudness" or bass boost going on with no switch to toggle it. Bluetooth connection has been good so far, only dropping out once or twice in a couple hours but this seems pretty typical in my experience with bluetooth devices.

I feel like it's a solid deal for $25. I'm debating trying to mod it with some real fabric grill cloth...though I suspect it's mostly glue holding the unit together.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. kurtgo

kurtgo AK Subscriber Subscriber

Was looking for a pair of Infinity Gamma's - came across some Genesis 5.2's. Gloss Piano Black. Going to pick them up next week or so. Hitting Avery Brewing and hopefully PS Audio to listen to the BigDogs - Infinity IRSV.

Ds2000 likes this.
  11. red 111

red 111 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Music Hall USB1 TT for vacation condo..... IMG_1399.JPG

boza and motorstereo like this.

12. Wolverine

Wolverine AK Subscriber Subscriber

I found a Bang and Olufsen Microcord 5000 at a thrift on Friday but technically my last audio purchase would be the adapter plug for it and a foam repair kit for a pair of Paradigm Titan v2 that I also scored at a thrift.

boza, red 111 and elcoholic like this.
  13. Quadman2

Quadman2 Super Member

Still getting' used to this new DAP, Sony Walkman NW-A45 High Res. Couldn't wait till the A47 hit the scene with 64GM internal. All models can up storage with a 128GB micro card.

Compared to the old E385, it's world's away both in performance and learning to navigate the device! Will do short eval, which won't be a lot different than what the audio scribes out there think of it.

For me, best $300 I've spent in a long time for portable music.

Q

Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
    red 111 likes this.
  14. RTally

RTally Speaker addict Subscriber

Picked up a Yamaha R-9. It is in good shape, except for the missing door on the front panel. The controls need cleaning with DeOxit. Surprisingly, the tuner station memory lasts at least a day. This was a bargain at $10.

15. motorstereo

motorstereo AK Subscriber Subscriber

^^^^^^^Nice pick up on the R9 that's a fine receiver:thumbsup: Does the Class A function work? Are you sure the door is missing or is it folded in where it's supposed to be? I was able to pick one up cheaply to years ago because it looks like a basic ht receiver

16. RTally

Thanks. This is my second R-9. Nice TOTL Yammie. The door is missing on both.

I have no idea how to test the Class A function. I cannot hear a difference when selecting Class A. The receiver is in my shop, so no critical listening environment. Is there any test to verify that Class A is working other than the indicator light or seeing if there is an increase in case temperature when in Class A?

I think I got this one so cheap because the preamp to main jumpers were put in wrong. The left and right channels of each were shorted together instead of connecting the preamp to the main inputs. LOL. It took me a few minutes to figure out why I was not getting any sound output.

17. Balifly

Balifly Listening Subscriber

Feb. Jazz LPs 019.JPG 12 used jazz and 4 (unopen) classical import LPs @ $1.00 CDN :music:

boza likes this.
  18. RTally

Picked up a Yamaha RX-770 for $20. Fantastic shape for an early-mid 90s receiver. The only issue is that the display has some bubbling going on. Most importantly, sounds good at 85 wpc. No remote.

19. motorstereo

motorstereo AK Subscriber Subscriber

I couldn't hear a difference in the 2 R9's that I had either. But I had them plugged into a power conditioner where I could watch the current draw. That went up a lot as soon as the class A button was pressed. A little while later they get almost hot enough to cook an egg.

RTally likes this.
  20. TomBig58

TomBig58 AK Subscriber Subscriber

I want to see what all the fuss is about with AR 18's so I went to look at a pair that need surrounds. He wanted $50. They are in nice shape except the surrounds. I talked him down to $30 then offered $50 if he includes a little Toshiba SC-335, very dirty and he says it doesn't power up I'm hoping it's a fuse, and an older Niles speaker selector. He said, "Give me $55 and I'll throw in a couple of lava lamps." Well, when you throw some lava lamps into the mix how can you say no? :smoke:

20180218_212927.jpg 20180218_212936.jpg

I swear it looks like someone tried to remove the scratches from the meters' plastic cover with laquer thinner and steel wool!