What's your latest audio purchase?

I ordered a DTA3116 amp that should arrive tomorrow. I think I'm going to use it to power some minimus 7's for a desktop system at work.

Thought I'd try one of these new 3116 digital amps. For $40 there isn't much to lose.
I'm quite taken with the value these things represent, I've been fooling with a Nobsound dual chip plus amp and another example by FX.

Boston Acoustics A60 Series II Speakers, in need of a re-foam.
Cambridge Soundworks Model 11.
New surrounds for my Boston Acoustic HD7's.

BAA60II.JPG CSWM11.jpg

I love the case.

Me too! As a kid I remember seeing ads for it and always wanting one.. but at $749 MSRP at the time.. certainly wasn't gonna happen! Just picked it up for far far less than that now.. my inner child is very happy!

A very nice pair of JBL L100s. Orange foam grills, cabinets with only a few minor dings, all drivers in great shape, original owner had installed upgraded binding posts. I also purchased a pair of stands for them (pick those up tomorrow), and a new set of foams (in black, because neither myself nor my wife like the orange ones), they will be along in a while. Quite pleased to own such an iconic speaker model.

McIntosh MX112 for $100 at our FrankenFest gtg.
Needs new front glass ($138) and the phono section is noisy (a couple of transistors should fix that). Also some typical surface rust.
I’ll also recap it when I finally get around to it.

Should make for a fairly straightforward project.

DFB84C02-2D72-4183-A40D-707DF769AA3A.jpeg

My latest purchase may be my best.. I got a Marantz MM9000, Marantz AV9000, Sony DVP7000, Sony CD player, a very nice metal/wood component rack, Paradigm Reference Center Speaker, (unfortunately only 1) Paradigm 11seMK3 Speaker! Also included was a box full of TARA LABS cables! 5 Speaker cables, 5 Heavy duty RCA cables, and 3 optical! All TARA LABS! Not to mention a slew of THX Monster Cables! Everything for $450!

I picked up a pair of Dynaco A25 speakers. They had been recapped and the surrounds look new - they are rubber. I hooked them up to my gym system just to hear them. Damn! They sound good. Even if they are too close together. I put them in place of the Polk S-4 bookshelf speakers that were in my gym. There is no comparison. The Dynacos walk all over the S-4s.

The speakers are different vintages. One is an early version with the tweeter next to the port and the other has the port on the other end, next to the woofer. The grills, which are on top of the horizontal speaker, need to be reworked.

Dynaco A25 IMG_0217.JPG

The left one is the A-25X

I cannot find much about the A-25X. From what I can find, the one on the left is the earlier model and uses ScanSpeak drivers compared to the SEAS drivers of the later models. The woofer cone on the left has a rougher texture than the one on the right. The cone on the left is easier to push in (less stiff) than the cone on the right. Both have 5-position tweeter switches. The cabinets are identically sized. I will pull the drivers out at some point to verify info.

http://home.indy.net/~gregdunn/dynaco/components/speakers/index.html Comments:
"Dynaco speakers were designed using Seas drivers, and imported to the USA under the Dynaco name. Interestingly the earliest A-25's used ScanSpeak Drivers and had the Aperiodic Port above the Tweeter, but this was soon changed to the widely seen Seas Drivers and the port under the woofer."​

Dynaco A-25X with tweeter in middle small.jpeg Dynaco A-25 drivers small.jpeg

I cannot find much about the A-25X. From what I can find, the one on the left is the earlier model and uses ScanSpeak drivers compared to the SEAS drivers of the later models. The woofer cone on the left has a rougher texture than the one on the right. The cone on the left is easier to push in (less stiff) than the cone on the right. Both have 5-position tweeter switches. The cabinets are identically sized. I will pull the drivers out at some point to verify info.

http://home.indy.net/~gregdunn/dynaco/components/speakers/index.html Comments:
"Dynaco speakers were designed using Seas drivers, and imported to the USA under the Dynaco name. Interestingly the earliest A-25's used ScanSpeak Drivers and had the Aperiodic Port above the Tweeter, but this was soon changed to the widely seen Seas Drivers and the port under the woofer."​

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/dynaco-a25x.303661/

Onkyo TX-RZ820 AV Receiver, to be paired with a Garrard DD75 (until my Dual 1246 is repaired), mated to Cerwin Vega twin 8" cone loudspeakers. Onkyo 6-CD Changer will round out the system.

Sony TA-N55ES amplifier for my office system. Arriving tomorrow. Will be nice to have tunes in there again!
Nice amp. I have one out of rotation at present. Thinking about getting another to bi-amp the mains (NHT SuperTwos) in my HT system once I get a new AVR with pre-outs. I got mine at a garage sale next door. Gave twice the asking price of $5 :banana:

At the AK Frankenfest last Saturday, a Sansui 3000A receiver. Cosmetically 99.9%, but will need dial-string attention and is missing enough wierd-thread screws from the output barrier strips that I haven't fired her up yet. Must be metric somewhere around 6-40's...anyone got any ideas?

Sony TA-N55ES amplifier for my office system. Arriving tomorrow. Will be nice to have tunes in there again!
Nice amp. I have one out of rotation at present. Thinking about getting another to bi-amp the mains (NHT SuperTwos) in my HT system once I get a new AVR with pre-outs.

This very fine Pioneer Elite DV-46AV DVD/CD Player. Plays SACD's and has a Burr-Brown PCM1742 DAC. Bought it off the bay in mint condition for cheap.

2018-03-13 20.58.30.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom