1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

What's your latest audio purchase?

Discussion in 'Dollars and Sense' started by Netdewt, Jan 20, 2012.

1. Speedbump71

Speedbump71 Buried in speakers Subscriber

KEF 105.4 Speakers.

IMG_0042.JPG

boza, orsen and superdog like this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Hawkeye83

Hawkeye83 Super Member

Mirage M3-SI...for my brother. He's setting up a 5.1 surround with Mirage and Emotiva. I think he'll be happy he went that route vs a home theater in a box (Bose Lifestyle, etc)!

elcoholic likes this.
  3. ChopperChas

ChopperChas Super Member

DCM QED speakers, $8. For the pair. With original boxes. Local yard sale, they were still there at noon, and I haggled from $10 down to $8. She just wanted them gone. Said they cost her a ton "back in the day" and that they still worked. All the foam was gone, the tops and bottoms were painted poorly, and they looked sad. BUT, they sound great! Tweeters and woofers are working well. Which is good, because they're REALLY sealed with no access to the internals, save for glued-in woofers. And that looks to be a nightmare. Anyhow, I sanded the tops and bottoms, only to find the edge banding is paper with a wood print on it. So I ordered some walnut edge banding from amazon and ironed it on. Sanded and stained and they look very passable now. Not perfect, but I wanted to preserve the original veneer rather than just re-do it. Waiting on my foam grill cloth to arrive and then they'll look snazzy. Going to put them head-to-head with my Vandersteen 1Bs, and see which I like better. Also going to make some Vandersteen-style stands for the QED speakers, and see if that hurts or helps. (I have a welder and some spare time)

Charles.

4. markshan

markshan Sir Thrift a Lot Subscriber

You should bring her a nice box of coffee or something. That's wrong.

5. highping

highping AK Subscriber Subscriber

Douk Audio / Nobsound HiFi 6J1 preamp. Selling for $45 on Amazon with free shipping. Paid $39.89 after using the remaining "points" from a credit card. Tried it out today. Not bad. I see no reason not to pick one of these up since they are so inexpensive...... DSCF7502.JPG

GSS61 and boza like this.
  6. milo63

milo63 AK Subscriber Subscriber

I've got one, cool little unit. I use it to give my laptop signal a boost into a Topping TP60.

boza likes this.

7. Hyfi

Hyfi Addicted Member

I picked up a decent pair of Bose 901 Series III with EQ and chrome stands for $100 on Saturday.

[​IMG]

GSS61, boza, Leland47 and 4 others like this.
  8. vintagedad53

vintagedad53 New Member

$149 Monoprice tube/SS amp: really good sound thru my pair of vintage JBL L-25 Primas...

9. doctorolds

doctorolds AK Subscriber Subscriber

I cannot blame you for snagging those for that price. I haven't heard those for over 30 years now, but would enjoy another sampling. If not to your liking it would be an easy sale. :thumbsup:

10. Hyfi

Hyfi Addicted Member

So I took off one of the stands to find that they are Series 4 and have Walnut Veneer, so newer than I thought and less chance of surround rot.

11. fishondwan

fishondwan AK Subscriber Subscriber

McIntosh MR80

1E9DC00A-AE41-4DC6-863E-FE44BE46F940.jpeg A407E7FC-2DA5-4129-A718-09966A57AB47.jpeg

GSS61, boza, PeerlessK and 2 others like this.

12. ChopperChas

ChopperChas Super Member

IMG_3813.jpg

Olson Contenential 6 speakers. Very, very nice rosewood veneer. Needed a little oiling and touch-up, but they're in remarkable shape. Sometime early to mid 70s I think. I found the 6.5" full-range driver listed in a 1974 catalog, but haven't found any info on the speakers at all. Paid more than I should have, but they're really cool so I'm okay with that.

Charles.

quiet, GSS61, boza and 1 other person like this.
  13. thomo57

thomo57 AK Subscriber Subscriber

A mate turned up with this yesterday.
    Musical Fidelity A3 integrated amp
    Powers up, selection button stuck on phono.
    Tried it tonight but nothing
    He lets me have first dibs on stuff he finds and my initial thought is that it's a keeper

mikeybc likes this.
  14. thomo57

thomo57 AK Subscriber Subscriber

15. RTally

RTally Speaker addict Subscriber

I picked up a complete 1994 vintage system that someone had donated to a charity. I had to buy the package. I got a pair of Polk S-10 floor standing speakers, a Yamaha RX-570 receiver, a Yamaha CDC-745 5-disc changer, and a Yamaha KX-W382 dual cassette tape deck. Everything came in the original boxes, with remote controls. No manuals, though, but they are available on-line and I got copies.

All I really wanted was the receiver, which works great. The Polk speakers don't sound too bad, but they are a bit boomy. Not as high quality as my other speakers. I am not sure what I am going to do with the speakers - maybe put them in my garage.

I have no need for the dual cassette deck. It has been years since I used cassette tapes. And I've ripped all my CDs and have no intention to ever use a CD player again. I may just donate them to a local thrift just to get rid of them.

Yamaha stuff IMG_0226.jpg

16. sfseay

sfseay Active Member

B6934D5E-FD7B-4910-977F-002D140FEC1C.jpeg Mark Levinson No. 585 and Lumin S1 with Lumin L1 NAS - both used

C3FB0188-1594-45A9-BB4F-08B12204A21B.jpeg

GSS61, mikeybc, boza and 3 others like this.

17. Descartridge

Descartridge "I hear, therefore I am" Subscriber

Newly purchased bedroom speakers, LS3/5a ;)
    LS35a.jpg

quiet, GSS61, mikeybc and 7 others like this.
  18. Noavgjoe

Noavgjoe New Member

Mint Nakamichi PA-7

GSS61, boza and jberger like this.
  19. whoaru99

whoaru99 Epic Member

This beast of a PA/paging amp. Not sure what I'm going to do with it but at the less-than-scrap-metal price I couldn't resist. It's heavy...

20180413_141444.jpg 20180413_141453.jpg 20180413_141549.jpg

20. Guest126

Guest126 Well-Known Member

(One) Cerwin Vega 15" powered sub, to compliment my CV team of floor speakers and a center channel. Very pleased with the sound quality.

Attached Files:

boza likes this.