What's your latest audio purchase?

Discussion in 'Dollars and Sense' started by Netdewt, Jan 20, 2012.

1. soundmotor

soundmotor super modified Subscriber

Nice mirror imaged set, those could be series 1 or 2. At the very end they weren't mirror-imaged and built up from cabs on hand. Did they come with grilles?

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Fleischer

Fleischer Active Member

Latest find - a Yamaha CA-1010 at Value Village for less than $20. One of my best scores of all time, and a keeper for sure. Prior to that, I found a pair of B+W 602 Series 3 for even less.

Attached Files:

boza, Bruins and milo63 like this.
  3. slowpat

slowpat Slowly but surely.... Subscriber

Ha! I didn't even know they had a series 2. I really like the mirror imaging. Also that means it's a matched set.

(just ran across a couple of your old posts - you were with ADS? Nice to know!!)

Yes, these came with the grilles, in very good shape actually.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
    soundmotor likes this.
  4. GSS61

GSS61 Super Member

Topping D10 DAC... I really like it so far

d10-en-02.jpg

boza, kurtgo, Ds2000 and 2 others like this.
  5. soundmotor

Guilty as charged.

:beerchug:

slowpat likes this.
  6. elcoholic

elcoholic AK Subscriber Subscriber

Did ADS make anything that sounds like Braun LV-1020s?

7. soundmotor

Biamped L980s come close but the LV1020 was pretty special. My boss had a set, heard them many times. Amazing sound considering when they were built.

8. elcoholic

elcoholic AK Subscriber Subscriber

I wish I had bought them way back when. I was putting together my first good system and was uncomfortable with them being so unique. I opted for B&O M70s which I still enjoy, especially on tubes. I heard my B&Os side by side with LBpetes’s Tri-amps and like you said they are pretty special.

soundmotor likes this.
  9. N8Nagel

N8Nagel AK Subscriber Subscriber

Two days in a row, a Luxman RC-501 remote sensor for my TP-117 and a Marantz SQA-2B for my 4270. Two hard to find (for a reasonable price at least) parts that I was actively looking for showed up on the 'bay at the same time...

10. superdog

superdog AK Member

I also found one for $20.I really liked it but I couldn't get it repaired right.After a few attempts I sold it.Hope you have better luck.

11. mikeybc

mikeybc Listener

Fresh woofers for my speakers. One original woofer was clicking a bit when the cone was pressed in a bit so I figured I’d get new ones while they were still available.

25409054-2899-4EF6-9FA3-1D75ED07015D.jpeg

boza and Ds2000 like this.
  12. markshan

markshan Sir Thrift a Lot Subscriber

Are those an exact replacement or something after market? What are they going in?

13. kurtgo

kurtgo AK Subscriber Subscriber

Another Lepai class D amp. Been on a cable buying binge lately as well - digital coax and interconnects.

14. mikeybc

mikeybc Listener

Yes, exact replacement for ProAc Response 2.5 that were discontinued almost 15 years ago. Nice that they keep a good supply of parts for them. About 100 bucks Cdn. more than a generic Scanspeak driver from Solen.

0D97D786-4C23-4A6C-9D3D-B06EA7DBE05B.jpeg 8DC8D493-3835-4CF6-AE13-F32B2CA45B25.jpeg

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018 at 12:23 PM
    boza and markshan like this.
  15. thomo57

thomo57 Super Member

IMG_7316.JPG Picked up this little beauty this morning at the market along with a Pioneer PL9 turntable.
    Both working but the Sansui has some damage to the top cover where it looks like a heavy units feet have cracked the vent slats

boza and superdog like this.
  16. fishondwan

fishondwan AK Subscriber Subscriber

McIntosh MR80..... in barter town soon .... F7BC3388-E3C2-4717-8685-9E0D7A6D9F4C.jpeg

boza likes this.
  17. Speedbump71

Speedbump71 Buried in speakers Subscriber

KEF 105.4 Speakers.

IMG_0042.JPG

boza, orsen and superdog like this.

18. Hawkeye83

Hawkeye83 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Mirage M3-SI...for my brother. He's setting up a 5.1 surround with Mirage and Emotiva. I think he'll be happy he went that route vs a home theater in a box (Bose Lifestyle, etc)!

elcoholic likes this.
  19. ChopperChas

ChopperChas Super Member

DCM QED speakers, $8. For the pair. With original boxes. Local yard sale, they were still there at noon, and I haggled from $10 down to $8. She just wanted them gone. Said they cost her a ton "back in the day" and that they still worked. All the foam was gone, the tops and bottoms were painted poorly, and they looked sad. BUT, they sound great! Tweeters and woofers are working well. Which is good, because they're REALLY sealed with no access to the internals, save for glued-in woofers. And that looks to be a nightmare. Anyhow, I sanded the tops and bottoms, only to find the edge banding is paper with a wood print on it. So I ordered some walnut edge banding from amazon and ironed it on. Sanded and stained and they look very passable now. Not perfect, but I wanted to preserve the original veneer rather than just re-do it. Waiting on my foam grill cloth to arrive and then they'll look snazzy. Going to put them head-to-head with my Vandersteen 1Bs, and see which I like better. Also going to make some Vandersteen-style stands for the QED speakers, and see if that hurts or helps. (I have a welder and some spare time)

Charles.

20. markshan

markshan Sir Thrift a Lot Subscriber

You should bring her a nice box of coffee or something. That's wrong.