What's your latest audio purchase?

I did a lot of asking around before I got it. New retail is $8500, but dealers don't ever charge that, I think. Every one I talked to wanted me to come in to get the "best price" I'm not much for haggling so I decided to get a used one. With most high end gear, the guy who walks out of the store with it takes the biggest hit. Mac gear seems to never depreciate after the initial hit.
The MC 452 is still a current model and is their most powerful stereo amp. So they command a premium in the used market. $6k is about what a perfect example, with box and manual, goes for. I've heard of less, maybe a few hundred less is common, below that is a "scroe".
I traded a MC 275 VI and some cash. I may have overpaid by a couple hundred but I got to test it out and trade the guy on sight, which to me is a value. The seller has a good reputation and stacks of used McIntosh gear. He's one of us, sort of. My expense with the trade was around $5700.
That's more than I ever thought I would spend, especially considering the rest of my rig was pretty much free or next to nothing. A combination of things let me buy it, first off is I had $30k in cash I made selling a huge CD collection (thank you Kenny) that I got for $500. I wanted to treat myself, so I got the MC 275 used for a fantastic deal. Next, I realized that having a bunch of vintage receivers is cool to look at but does little else. I have some primo, TOTL models that I got for pennies that are worth a thousand dollars or more. Strike while the iron is hot, make your money, buy your dream amp with the proceeds. That's the method to my madness.
Sorry about the long-winded reply, I felt the need to explain to convince myself it is money well spent. And it is, the amp will probably never be worth much less than what I have in it.

View attachment 1190708

Well played, sir! I'm convinced.

Picked up a pair of Allison Model Four's, a Elac Miracord 10H, and KLH Model 50's for $240 yesterday. The Allison's are quite beautiful, will require new foam on both woofers, and missing one grill. Not exactly a great deal as others keep finding amazing things. The Micracord is in perfect condition and sounds very nice - just needs to be cleaned and the plinth oiled. The KLH speakers were just thrown in the deal. I am really interested in hearing the Allison's based on the comments I have read.

Thanks for sharing your story regarding the McAmp purchase Grillebilly. Congrats on being able to buy a handsome amp that is capable of over 400wpc....man, that's a lot of wpc!!!

Fisher 700. Works great. Slight weak left channel. Very quiet fortunately. I think I can fix it. $100 to the door. Not a ground shaking deal. It's the one Fisher SS I wanted. Just because.

Attachments

• P5020002.JPG
    P5020002.JPG
    101 KB · Views: 20
I just bought an original Dynaco PA774 power transformer off BT. It was used in the SCA35 & ST35 amps and my plan is to get my ST35 clone project back on track.

I've got original driver boards as well as both Dynaco Z565 & A-410 output transformers. If the A-410s will fit on & under an ST35 repro chassis/cage, I'll use them.

I just got a pair of Creative Gigaworks T20 Series 2 speakers to replace my Cambridge Soundworks PCWorks that died after approx 15 years of service on my PC.

A Schiit Fulla 2 just arrived today that will do duty on my mac mini as well as my iPad Pro (as soon as I get a Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter.)

Back
Top Bottom