What's your latest audio purchase?

I picked up a pair of Sansui SP-5500X speakers for $40. The 15" woofers have a very stiff surround - I think by design. I hate the vinyl wrap that is coming off. They need a recap and the switch needs cleaning. They have been stored for many years. After cleaning the dust off them and letting them blast for an hour in an empty room, I am surprised at how they sound. Although, I don't think they will displace any of my better speakers.

Sansui SP-5500X front IMG_0630 small.JPG

Picked up a set of Bose 901's Series I at a garage sale with equalizer and black tulip stands. Intact but very dirty with trashed grill cloth. Just finished cleaning them up and replacing the grill cloth with flat black material. I really like the look compared to the "burlap" original grill cloth. It is nice the Series I have cloth surrounds as is I do not have the time to reform that many speakers. They look sharp. I will replace the caps in the equalizer this weekend - then likely sell them. I have more speaker projects than seem to never get finished. I will test them after the recap with my Sansui receiver. After all the heated discussion concerning Bose I am interested to see how they perform against my other speakers.

I have got to stop buying speakers. Today's pickup was a pair of OLA for $50. I now have 5 pairs of Advents.

The OLA's need to be foamed and recapped. Looks like the last refoam was with the foam glued to the front of the cone. They have the beveled fronts with walnut veneer and the usual scratches and dings, but no water marks. The grill cloth is rough - needs to be replaced. I have both badges, though.

OLA Front w-grills IMG_0637 small.JPGOLA Front no grills IMG_0641 small.JPG

I recently bought an Ella tube preamp with phono stage. I had built another version of this Aikido design using the smaller 9 pin tubes and was hooked. This one takes it to another level. The 6sn7's sound much better. And with 6922's in the phono stage I'm very happy so far. It's a really good match for my ST-70 tube amp.
20181109_170441.jpg 20181109_170435.jpg

I recently bought an Ella tube preamp with phono stage. I had built another version of this Aikido design using the smaller 9 pin tubes and was hooked. This one takes it to another level. The 6sn7's sound much better. And with 6922's in the phono stage I'm very happy so far. It's a really good match for my ST-70 tube amp.
View attachment 1329611 View attachment 1329613
Where does one get one of those? Do you have a link?

Put a deposit on a nice demo MC275 MK VI that is in Edmonton. The ARC Ref 3 preamp above in post #5338 is in Calgary and I am in North Vancouver so road trip! :banana: 1600 miles of scenic beauty coming up. It will be a winter wonderland in the Rockies.

Definitely worthy of a dancing banana. Google image of a MC275 MK VI cause it's just so darn pretty.

macintosh.jpg

Last edited:
Hey
A few months back I bought this Conrad Johnson pv5 here . I listened to it for a few weeks before catching a case of the upgrade virus. It just came back from Bill Thalman at Music Technology.
I'm pretty happy with it . It has put a stop to my preamp lust.
For awhile.
Eric
View attachment 1310311

How are you liking your refurbed pre-amp? Looks great!

Put a deposit on a nice demo McIntosh MC275 MK VI that is in Edmonton. The preamp above in post #5338 is in Calgary and I am in North Vancouver so road trip! :banana: 1600 miles of scenic beauty coming up. It will be a winter wonderland in the Rockies.

Definitely worthy of a dancing banana. Google image of a MC275 MK VI cause it's just so darn pretty.

macintosh.jpg
Nice!

I really have got to stop buying speakers. This is the third pair in a week.

Acoustic Research AR-2ax speakers bought from the son of the original owner. They appear to be very early vintage, possibly 1968 or 69.

The son tore up the grill cloth for one speaker. He also tore the woofer in two places and broke a tweeter wire as he was messing around. Should be an easy repair. Woofer surrounds are cloth. The other speaker never has had the grill off. The pots on the back make scratchy noises when rotated, not to mention they don't rotate very well. The cabinets are about a 7 out of 10.

But, oh, how they sound. Damn, why did I spend $80 for these! :rflmao: If there was ever a case to be made for recapping ASAP, these speakers are it. The drivers all work, but the high frequencies sound like I am holding a pillow over the speakers. With all the speakers I've bought recently, I am ready to order caps.

AR-2ax front IMG_0655 small.JPGAR-2ax backs IMG_0658 small.JPG

I really have got to stop buying speakers. This is the third pair in a week.

Acoustic Research AR-2ax speakers bought from the son of the original owner. They appear to be very early vintage, possibly 1968 or 69.

The son tore up the grill cloth for one speaker. He also tore the woofer in two places and broke a tweeter wire as he was messing around. Should be an easy repair. Woofer surrounds are cloth. The other speaker never has had the grill off. The pots on the back make scratchy noises when rotated, not to mention they don't rotate very well. The cabinets are about a 7 out of 10.

But, oh, how they sound. Damn, why did I spend $80 for these! :rflmao: If there was ever a case to be made for recapping ASAP, these speakers are it. The drivers all work, but the high frequencies sound like I am holding a pillow over the speakers. With all the speakers I've bought recently, I am ready to order caps.

View attachment 1333305View attachment 1333306
I keep saying.... You don't need more! Yet the pile grows every month.

Back
Top Bottom