What's your latest audio purchase?

Aiwa SX-R220 pair and SX-C400 for 6 bucks and a pair of Magnavox LSB 300/15 bookshelf speakers for 2 bucks. Not sure I'll ever use them but if not, someone else will end up with them.

Picked up an Adcom 502 preamp, very happy with that. Then went and picked up these, the picture in the add the guy positions them just right.
View attachment 1382674
Then I get there and this,
View attachment 1382675
Both cabinets beyond repair and stored outside in the weather. How the drivers survived is beyond me.

Wow...that was intentional the way he staged his picture then...hope you got a great deal on those. The mids and tweeters are worth a lot as you probably know already.

Drove over to San Francisco on a Sunday for this set of older Genesis speakers (IM5200 + 10" sub). Hard to see in my lousy pic, but basically two satellites on lead filled stand with marble bases, a 10" sub sits on the floor, and the servo sub amp is not in the picture. Ugly design like a larger JR149 , 2/3 of a cylinder. Unfortunately the circular ribbon tweeters (can sub using EMIT-R's) seem to be out, and the woofers need a refoam...

IMG_1055.jpg

I’m glad I don’t live in the Bay Area anymore, born in Vallejo. I’d be the brokest guy around probably standing near some corner with a sign saying “need cash for audio gear” Hahaha. I see so much up that way I’d just have to pop on and try.

And yes, the 4 Franklin asking price wasn’t realized. And no, once water damage swells MDF like that, it’s pretty much over. I studied them for awhile. There was no patching the bases or the top of that one speaker. I mean you could...but at what point does it warrant a complete rebuild. Which I may do.

Last edited:
I'm paying attention to the little things today. Some Mogami 2893 cable and a couple Neutrik Rean NYS231BG 3.5mm plugs. The stock cables on my new Audio-Technica headphones are annoyingly stiff, springy, and kinky.

Cables.jpg

I was looking for CD/SACD player better than what I had, which was a piece of junk Pioneer DV-C503 dvd changer. I took a chance on a oppo BDP-83 online for $50+shipping a couple days ago. It was listed (for parts not working.) Seller said, “Blu-ray sometimes plays but plays DVD and CDs.” That was good enough for me. It arrived today nicely packaged. I loaded a Blu-ray in it, NO DISC error!!. With alcohol & q-tips I gently cleaned both lenses, lightly greased the rails on the laser pickup and reassembled. The Oppo BDP-83 now plays any of my Blu-rays without a hiccup. Loads super fast. Plays Blu-ray, SACD, DVD, CD. and streaming LOSSLESS FLAC., PCM and more. I know there are better Oppo players available, but for the cost and considering what I was using, this is a MAJOR upgrade.

B59930F1-182A-4A4A-AF1E-A2F81D4BC66F.jpeg D96C5FD6-6707-4F3F-85A3-46366C8D5CAD.jpegB7F481C9-11C5-431D-96F8-B3B6E2A1F230.jpegC6998B5B-9EC2-49C1-B779-FE68319EDB64.jpeg 407BAD09-DE4A-4840-8AF3-CB9C5AEA96F5.jpeg I’ve been building this system since November 2018.

Last edited:
Waiting to receive this headphone amplifier in a few weeks. Full tube amp using output transformers. I'm hoping it's a better fit over the singled ended hybrid I'm currently using. Fingers crossed.
View attachment 1341072
Update. Well, I've had this for a bit now and like it.
Very quiet and replacing the Chinese 12AX7 made a big difference. The power supply is on top to the left. It's a switching type that can run on 100v to 230v. I don't hear any noise from it at all.
20190118_171258.jpg

Following a suggestion here somewhere, a cheap (£7.74) analogue to SPDIF converter. Uses a BB PCM1802 ADC, and what is presumably an SPDIF driver.

Tested and works, producing a 96ksps stream. Now put on the pile with all the other similar toys I buy to play with (class D BT amps, USB DACs etc...)

Attachments

• IMG_20190119_130655224.jpg
    IMG_20190119_130655224.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Following a suggestion here somewhere, a cheap (£7.74) analogue to SPDIF converter. Uses a BB PCN1802 ADC, and what is presumably an SPDIF driver.

Tested and works, producing a 96ksps stream. Now put on the pile with all the other similar toys I buy to play with (class D BT amps, USB DACs etc...)

Lots of little tiny pieces in there.

Lots of little tiny pieces in there

You get a lot for £7.74. USB lead, optical lead, delivery...

One IC is a simple 7404 hex inverter, used to drive the SPDIF o/ps, I suspect. I may have a look at the SMDs, as it might be nice to play with the encoding options. A job for the x64 stereo rework station...

Cerwin Vega RE 38.These things are huge.These are in very good condition.only one pic because it was too much hassle to put them together.I haven't been able to air them out yet as I need to position them correctly first.My brother gave me these in return for upgrading him from a Yamaha Rxv800 to a RXV1.To be quite frankly I don't know if I can use a speaker this big as I am finding out with two pairs of D9s. I'll play with these for awhile though.
Hi, I've been coming here for years for advice, but now I need some first hand experience. Did you happen to put a multimeter on your woofers? I just picked up a pair and need to replace the drivers, as they are missing... are they 4 or 8 Ohm? It seems like most CV is 4 Ohm, but I have yet to find these online! Thanks :D

Hi, I've been coming here for years for advice, but now I need some first hand experience. Did you happen to put a multimeter on your woofers? I just picked up a pair and need to replace the drivers, as they are missing... are they 4 or 8 Ohm? It seems like most CV is 4 Ohm, but I have yet to find these online! Thanks :D
The back of the speaker says 4 ohm.I like these.I wasn't sure they would work but with a Yamaha rxv3200 (130 wpc) they sound pretty good.They will stay in my living room.

Back
Top Bottom