What's your latest audio purchase?

So I take it that, "swearing not to buy anything" plan didn't work out to well for ya?
Just goin' out on a limb here.
You lucky pat you.

I'm still working on tightening up the bass on my recently refoamed CS3008's. They are just a bit boomy and resonant for my taste but other than that I love them. The woofer voice coils have a tight tolerance so take extra care when centering for a refoam.

I'm still working on tightening up the bass on my recently refoamed CS3008's. They are just a bit boomy and resonant for my taste but other than that I love them. The woofer voice coils have a tight tolerance so take extra care when centering for a refoam.

Thanks for the heads up. How would you tighten up the bass? Placement? Maybe spikes? Room treatment?

I love crisp, tight bass so I'm not much of a ported speaker guy and I had boominess issues with Kappa 6.1 and the CS3008's that I documented in the Infinity forum a while back. Both settled down quite a bit however after a long break in period for the new surrounds. I kept the Crescendos because of the sweet frequency spread with the four way configuration, a very well designed crossover IMO.

I still roll off the bass to my taste but internal cabinet bracing and fill adjustments are in the works. I'm hoping spikes make a big difference. They are currently set on carpet over concrete and I think the soft base is causing too much cabinet resonance, rather than it being a port issue. If necessary I may even play with adding a tube to the port. I really like these and my goal is to get them to be at their best with the EQ set flat. Right now I get my best results bi-amped with the low frequency amp gain dialed down a little bit. Placement and room treatments are down the road as my set up is more for testing than final resting place for now.

As far as the refoam I had no problems with the mid or mid-bass drivers. I used the test tone method of centering the cones. On one of the woofers a slightly noticeable crackle shows up at high volume. Most would think a faulty driver but if I carefully tug a little sideways on the cone while playing it goes away so I know it's a centering issue. I was working with the tacky black speaker glue which sets up very fast and makes it tricky business.

I think they are well worth the effort. I hope this helps. Have fun and good luck.

I live near the place where dreams are made....well Klipsch any ways. Picked these up for a song. Gave them a good cleaning.

RF5 IN CHERRY.

Needless to say they are NOT going to replace the L112, but a nice find none the less.

Attachments

• 20190314_201425.jpg
    20190314_201425.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 32
  • 20190314_201437.jpg
    20190314_201437.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 27
  • 20190317_135419.jpg
    20190317_135419.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 27
  • 20190317_135553.jpg
    20190317_135553.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 28
Have scored a few items over the last few months.
A pair of AR4xa speakers a few weeks ago in beautiful condition.
At the markets on the weekend one of the regular sellers was unloading his gear and he knows l look for audio gear .
I've picked some good stuff from him over the years
He said he had a couple of turntables $500 for both.
I scouted around the markets for a while till he got them off his truck.
2 Technics 1200 mkii turntables:)
I didn't have the cash for both of them but another guy who frequents the markets was there and we decided to buy one each.( win win)
It's still in the garage at the moment so no photos but it seems to function perfectly.
Can't wait to give it a clean up and a new cartridge.
It was obviously a DJ's turntables as they have Shure 44-7 on them.
I've got quite a few cartridges to try.
It also comes with a stainless cover which fits over the turntable

Kinda went nuts on gear over the last 2-3 weeks.

Got a Topping D50 off Barter Town. Did some A/Bing with the PT-100's DAC. It's nice but not a definite step up. Probably better suited to a desktop setup where it can be used as a pre as well.

Got a Monster Power HTS3500 power conditioner. It's still sitting on the floor in front of the stack, been too lazy to actually put it to work. We'll see if that makes any difference.

Got a MiniDSP 2x4HD and UMIK-1. Also haven't done anything with that yet.

Sensing a pattern here?

Just purchased a pair of Infinity cs 3007's, to go with my set of 3008's, off of CL for $240. But along with the speakers came a Yamaha rx-v657 av receiver, a cerwin vega ht-10pwr sub and an Infinity Beta c250 center channel. The Infinity cs 3007's need surrounds replaced but all for $240 is not too bad.

OK, please dont laugh at how much I am geeked out. I did vintage stereo's for my boy's for Christmas and there were pieces that I wanted because they were my first pieces in the seventies. For what I could afford to spend, I found some and some I didn't. Yesterday, I found a set of Realistic Mach One's that had been refoamed and were hooked up and working and sounding perfect and ready to be auditioned for 150 dollars. I picked them up immediately and after driving back from Philly (I live in rural MD) I stopped at my sons house and offered to replace the black Boston A100's. His jaw dropped and he said "OH DAD..." I knew that would be his reaction. He stopped what he was doing, hooked them up immediately and invited me into his "mancave(room in basement), hooked them up and put on Van Halen Diver Down. All that is exactly the reaction you hope for when you get something for your kids..... The same guy has a mint STA-2000 he is going to sell for 200. We already agreed that is mine. Gonna replace Steve's Technics with that.

btw, I know thet Boston's are probably better speakers, but the Boston's weren't MY first speaker.

OK, please dont laugh at how much I am geeked out. I did vintage stereo's for my boy's for Christmas and there were pieces that I wanted because they were my first pieces in the seventies. For what I could afford to spend, I found some and some I didn't. Yesterday, I found a set of Realistic Mach One's that had been refoamed and were hooked up and working and sounding perfect and ready to be auditioned for 150 dollars. I picked them up immediately and after driving back from Philly (I live in rural MD) I stopped at my sons house and offered to replace the black Boston A100's. His jaw dropped and he said "OH DAD..." I knew that would be his reaction. He stopped what he was doing, hooked them up immediately and invited me into his "mancave(room in basement), hooked them up and put on Van Halen Diver Down. All that is exactly the reaction you hope for when you get something for your kids..... The same guy has a mint STA-2000 he is going to sell for 200. We already agreed that is mine. Gonna replace Steve's Technics with that.

btw, I know thet Boston's are probably better speakers, but the Boston's weren't MY first speaker.

Mach Ones - $150
Quality time sharing tunes with your adult child - priceless.

Back
Top Bottom