What's your opinion on the best Sansui speakers ever made???

I've always wanted a pair of those to go with my G33000.....:yes::yes:

I still have a pair of two-piece SP-X11000 that I've slowly been refinishing (lol -- and I mean slowly!). Yeah, I know -- not original anymore, but the vinyl was thrashed, and looks like crap even when in good shape, IMHO. Why they covered their TOTL offering in crap-coloured vinyl is beyond me!

Sometime this winter they'll be finished, and I'm thinking they'll look a whole lot better in the new cherry veneer. :) Most of the work is done, just some detail work/small veneer pieces, and the finish to apply. They look nicer in real life than in these crappy pics, but notice their size next to the Altec 14s. :)

Pretty loud speakers and can take a whack of power. Now I just need a G33000 to go with 'em. :D

My vote goes to my SP-5000s...
Solid wood cabinet construction..
All the 'bells and whistles' with the tiny treble/mid speaker arrangements plus massive woofer..
Wonderful front walnut coloured lattice design..
Big, Bad, Bold, Brash and Beautiful...
(So efficient that my tiny 101's had no issue making them sing!)
So heavy though...once placed in position that's it!!! So am in the process of having a set of walnut coloured stands with wheels made for them!)
Statement pieces both in looks and sound!

Sp-70 are the only sansui's i own
My speaker list is extensive including some very highly regarded models down the years.

I've always favoured 2 ways for their pace,rhythm and timing and the Sp-70 are unique amongst the Sansui's speakers so there's no direct upgrade path so far as i can tell.
They certainly suit my low powered Cap coupled amp preference i imagine they were designed and voiced for low power tube/valve amps @98db.On paper they appear as capable as some of the bigger 'kabuki' models.
I'm very happy with them and the wife likes them which is a bonus.

I intend to treat them to a clean and possibly some new caps this winter..@51 years old they're potentially out of spec! I just hope they don't lose their magic.

Sp-70 are the only sansui's i own
My speaker list is extensive including some very highly regarded models down the years.

I've always favoured 2 ways for their pace,rhythm and timing and the Sp-70 are unique amongst the Sansui's speakers so there's no direct upgrade path so far as i can tell.
They certainly suit my low powered Cap coupled amp preference i imagine they were designed and voiced for low power tube/valve amps @98db.On paper they appear as capable as some of the bigger 'kabuki' models.
I'm very happy with them and the wife likes them which is a bonus.

I intend to treat them to a clean and possibly some new caps this winter..@51 years old they're potentially out of spec! I just hope they don't lose their magic.

I just found a pair of these locally for under a hundred bucks tonight. They sounded okay with the seller's demo setup, but I intend to open them up and replace any elderly electrolytics with Daytons to squeeze as much as I can get out of them.

I just found a pair of these locally for under a hundred bucks tonight. They sounded okay with the seller's demo setup, but I intend to open them up and replace any elderly electrolytics with Daytons to squeeze as much as I can get out of them.

I recapped mine with monacor (cheap white versions)

I'll be putting it off for a bit. Unfortunately, this emptor could have been better at caveating-- they're really good condition Sansuis on the outside, but inside they've been replaced with Radio Shack.

Not a lot of W-70s or T-1001s in the hopper, so for now I'll just play them as is until I can find some really nice drivers for the boxes.
20211127_103919.jpg

I'll be putting it off for a bit. Unfortunately, this emptor could have been better at caveating-- they're really good condition Sansuis on the outside, but inside they've been replaced with Radio Shack.

Not a lot of W-70s or T-1001s in the hopper, so for now I'll just play them as is until I can find some really nice drivers for the boxes.
View attachment 2405857

I'm gutted for you..i really am

I'm gutted for you..i really am
Yeah, I might have paid what I paid for just the cabinets, but possibly not.

It went from a really good deal to just... a deal. To be fair, I don't think the seller knew, he was just an estate sale junkie/reseller (which I'm totally on board with).

Lesson learned... will find some replacement drivers.

I love my PM C100's I have had them for years. I did replace the planer tweeter with a dome though.

Only issue I have is they are vinyl wrapped and although nice they were 400 each new in the eighties so veneer would have made them more expensive than their competition.

This picture was copped from an active eBay listing. Obviously a Japanese market only item. Behold the Sansui Monitor 2130, with stands. These look like they would do some damage. I suspect the drivers may be JBL as these were from the era when Sansui was the their distributor in Japan and built speakers to JBL specs for the JDM.

I've seen photos of similar cabinets before, but usually with only one port (the second one blocked with a cover). Importing these is totally impractical, and they have a steep price tag to begin with before shipping is factored in. Sure would like to hear them, though.
s-l400 (15).jpg

Last edited:
I only have vintage Sansui speakers at my present location to judge by .. And comparing between sp3500, sf2, sp3200a, sp3700a's the 3700a's are the clear winner ,high's like I've never heard before and the 3200a's are second .. they seem to have more bass.

This picture was copped from an active eBay listing. Obviously a Japanese market only item. Behold the Sansui Monitor 2130, with stands. These look like they would do some damage. I suspect the drivers may be JBL as these were from tbe era when Sansui was the tbeir distributor in Japan and built speakers to JBL specs for the JDM .

I've seen photos of similar cabinets before, but usually with only one port (the second one blocked with a cover). Importing these is totally impractical, and they have a steep price tag to begin with before shipping is factored in. Sure would like to hear them, though.
View attachment 2438491

Very...very nice!
Did I say nice?!? I wonder what they sound like...
And just for comparison my SP-5000s on stands as well...

20210927_133909.thumb.jpg.353c6a827555cd2b13bae8a389376e48.jpg

@glend123

Did you snag those off ebay? I'd been eyeing a pair there (now gone). Couldn't pull the trigger because I have way too many speakers now. The SP-95's are acoustic suspension type, not bass refex (ported) cabinets, as with almost all other SP series models. That had me quite curious. I wonder how these compare against the AS-100/200/300 which were Sansui's more common (but still quite rare) acoustic suspension type speakers.

@glend123

Did you snag those off ebay? I'd been eyeing a pair there (now gone). Couldn't pull the trigger because I have way too many speakers now. The SP-95's are acoustic suspension type, not bass refex (ported) cabinets, as with almost all other SP series models. That had me quite curious. I wonder how these compare against the AS-100/200/300 which were Sansui's more common (but still quite rare) acoustic suspension type speakers.
No, I bought them locally off Facebook marketplace. I'll have to read up on the different types.

1970-1972 only Sansui AS-100, acoustic suspension, AlNiCo magnet 10" woofer and super sounding adjustable tweet, box type - well built - heavy cabinet. Sold as 'bookshelf speakers' but they are 23" high BOX speakers. The 1970 BIG BOX AlNiCo SOUND and they like power. Outrageous speakers really. Exactly like KLH or AR. Want to restore the crossovers?? 1 (one) capacitor per cab!!!!!!!!! :) That's a tough one. Done.

The AS-100 'sound' will surprise you! I love em. And even though they are fairly rare, they can be found in a 'reasonable amount of time' if desired. If you see a pair and they look good and sound great - don't even thing about it -- grab them!

AS-300s are Big Box floor standing speakers and sound lovely. VERY Rare. The only problem... no spare parts. I searched for 7 years, then just gave up. Nada.

Had a chance, or so I thought, on getting a pair of SP-L800 off of eBay a few years ago. When no one was bidding except me ($200 approx - NO RESERVE - he panicked & canceled the auction. He knew he messed up bad without a reserve. Didn't even think that was ' LEGAL '... close but no prize. It was upsetting.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom