What's your opinion?

What Next... an ALL-Gay world

If they plan on associating with gays only... fine. If not, I don't believe that is preparing them to function in the real world; good, bad or indifferent. MikE

Waste of the already-overburdened taxpayer's money. Funny how we can have this, but let 'em try to have a manger scene at Christmas, or say a prayer & all you-know-what breaks loose. And, boy, oh boy, can you imagine all the horrid jokes that are sure to result from this ?!? -Sandy G.

seems to me that segregation is only ok when a minority group does it.

If it were up to me...I WOULD segregate everything in todays world by race. There would be two categories that everything could be divided into. Category one would be for all those things that fit into the Human race...Category two would be for whatever is left over (other animals, plants, minerals...etc.)

If schools are so concerned about harrassment how about doing something to stop it?

Originally posted by THOR
If schools are so concerned about harrassment how about doing something to stop it?

Cuz its not the schools job to stop it. Its the parents job ! Schools are to teach only Period ! In today's society its just to damn easy to pass the buck. It sickens me to see how some parents raise their kids. I partially blame the democrats such as Hillary and her gang of "It takes a family" line of crap for some of our societies problems. When will people learn it is OUR job to teach out kids and not someone else's.

Great "off-topic" thread, Thor,

I agree with Grumpy in that it's the PARENTS responsibility to teach children to accept the differences between people. Children are taught intolerance, they don't learn it on their own.

When my oldest son was around two years of age,my family had a big reunion at one of the bigger parks in Minneapolis. Of course, as soon as he saw the playground, he wanted to go. There were probably fifteenn or twenty other kids there of different ethnic backgrounds, shapes and sizes. Not one of those little kids gave a tinker's damn, they just wanted to play.

The older cjhildren say five years of age and above, were another matter entirely. They clustered together in groups, showing fear and mistrust of anyone outside their ethnic/size/shape group. They didn't learn that behavior in school. It didn't take a "village" either.

Segregation only breeds more fear and mistrust and it really is about time that PARENTS put a stop to it.:rant:

:D George:cool:

I was in high school in Mass when bussing was started. There was rioting all over Boston because no-one wanted their kids to go to school with the Irish.:yikes:

Gents- Ever notice that when all the Gummint "Do-gooders" try to solve a problem, they invariably bollix it up worse ?!? This is just the latest & greatest example-School's for trying to give kids an education, & meld them into society-What are they telling these kids ? Well, you're gay, you're special, you can't fend for yrselves, so we gotta do it for you-gimme a break !! When I went to school-EVERYONE took abuse-& learned to live w/it or dish it back even harder. I was fat, wore glasses & had a very thick hillbilly accent-& got sent off to a private school where most of 'em were "polished"-at least more than I was. I think I did all right The "fights" & struggles I went thru certainly helped make me tougher when I got out in the "real world". Painful as hell back then,but now I wouldn't trade it for a million bucks. Well, maybe two mil...-Sandy G.

Having grown up in a small town I can relate to "It takes a Village". You knew damn well if you screwed up that your parents would hear about it. Sure, there was hazing, and kids got into fights, but no one ever tied a gay kid to a fence and killed him. Sadly, I find our current society adopting the Jack System, as in "Screw you Jack, I've got mine." We do have to live together in today's world and that means giving a little slack to others.

I remember when we moved from Quebec to Ottawa in '70, every second car was sporting a bumper sticker that read "Courtesy is contagious - Try it", sure could use some of those here in Maryland. When I flash my lights to let another driver know it is fine for him/her to cut in, there is this 5 seconds of shock before they move over.

Look at this group - people help each other - often go that extra mile to do it - why is that only in groups like this? Damned if I have the answer, though I sometimes think that few realize that the second greatest commandment means that you have to love yourself before you can love others, and maybe not enough people do.

Sorry - soapbox off.

Rob

Sandy, exactly, now all the schools have this "no tolerance" policy, due to Columbine I'm sure, of kid's harrassing other kids. All this has done is make it easier for the "bullies" to pick on people, they do it and when a kid retaliates the teacher sees it and the "victim" is the one who gets in trouble. A couple years ago my son was getting picked on so much that he would come home crying, I kept telling him to turn the other cheek and tell the teachers if someone was bothering him. The teachers never did anything. Finally I told him if the only way to get these kids (one in particular) off his back was to kick their asses then go for it (preferably off school grounds) and I would back him up on it if he got in trouble. A couple days later he told the kid to meet him in the park about a mile from our house and I drove him down there and watched him open a can of whoopass and beat the snot ( he lifts weights and hits a puncing bag in the basement) outta the kid if front of 3 of the kids friends then drove him back home. And guess what? People stopped picking on him at school from then on ;) Even tho it was off school grounds I got calls from teachers, counselers, principal and other parents about the incident, funny half the parents congratulated me, but I stood by my son and told them all flat out that I wasn't going to tolerate any more BS and if my son had to bloody someone's nose again I would let him. After that not only did the harrasment just about cease but when there was an incident and my son went to a teacher about it they quickly looked into the problem ;)

Did not have many problems with our son as he now stand 6'2" and 190 lbs of muscle and bone (Going to Aspen in a couple of weeks for his marriage to a lovely young woman), but he was not always that size.

I gor hazed quite a bit, my left arm is not too swift as a result of a breech birth, plus all the later tests claim my IQ is on the 99th percentile boundary, so I was always called "Professor" and not as a compliment.

Lots of introspection in my childhood, lot of being alone. The world is not a kind place, and maybe that is the way things are, but I will NOT buy that attitude. I will offer a hand to anyone who is down. I will try, albeit with limited success, to try and live as He taught us to live. Maybe one candle in the dark will not shed much light, but it will burn. Perhaps one day it will be as Edna St. Vincent Millay wrote;
My candle burns at both ends;
It will not last the night:
But, ah my foes, and, oh, my friends -
It gives a lovely light.

The frustrated philosopher

Rob

Originally posted by gonefishin
seems to me that segregation is only ok when a minority group does it.

I agree completely. It was what happened to african americans 40 years ago. I am surprised this type if segregation still exists in 2003.

To create a special school for Gay/Lesbian teenagers is making the issue worse - I think they are solving the problem by hiding their heads underground.

Bullying has always existed - and picking on kids has always been an issue, since the dawn of time - it's a part of kids growing. The way to stop it isn't segregation, but through trasmitting values, and not simply "hiding" the people.

Chris

Sure bullying has always existed, been there felt that, but maybe y'all missed that news item where in one of our southern states two or three guys beat the living s**t out of a gay kid, then tied him to a fence somewhere out in the boonies. By the time they found him he was dead. So how do we educate the rednecks that killed this boy, with an aluminium baseball bat?

It sure is nice to call for education, question is whose ox gets gored while we are "educating" these yahoos?

Am I gay, hell no, but considering all the crap they take I can't believe anyone "chooses" to be gay. Then of course they now have the problem where the caretaker of the White House has declared it a sin.

We are now looking at some bone-headed Senators who want a Constitutional ammendment that says marriage is between a man and a woman. Then they will add the bit that says they must be of the same race. Then the Baptists, Episcopalians, Latter Day Saints, etc. will insist that they be of the same religion, etc.

And all the while they are farting around with this crap, our young people are dying daily in some middle eastern cesspool. Dear God when will it end?

Back
Top Bottom