What's your thoughts on this Vinyl cleaner?

Pioneered

I purchased a Studebaker record cleaner awhile back ago because I needed a better way and the price was reasonable for my pocket book and I'm okay with it but, I don't see it good enough to cleaner real dirty records.
It's hand operated and pretty stiff because of a tight fitting pads on each side that you remove to apply cleaning fluid to but, does do a fairly good job on cleaning the usual record with dust and finger prints.
Do you have one, or have had any experience with one? What's your thoughts even if you've never had one?
My pocket book just can't stretch any further then the price of this sadly, cause I'd love to have one of the real nice mechanized ones many of you have I'm sure

71vz35wPOLL._SY355_.jpg .

Looks like a take on the Spin Clean. If it works like the Spin Clean, it should be able to handle some pretty filthy records. In fact, I use my Spin Clean to get all the really nasty stuff off thrift store finds before moving on to glue if they even need it after SC which most of the time, they don't.

Also if it's more than $79, go with the Spin Clean. :)

Looks like a take on the Spin Clean. If it works like the Spin Clean, it should be able to handle some pretty filthy records. In fact, I use my Spin Clean to get all the really nasty stuff off thrift store finds before moving on to glue if they even need it after SC which most of the time, they don't.

Also if it's more than $79, go with the Spin Clean. :)

It was much cheaper, if memory serves me right I think I paid about $35 for it. It states to turn the record 3 times in one direction then reverse the same amount of times to clean it.
It does come cleaner but, I've found built up crud in the grooves to still be there. Maybe I should turn it more times then suggested or until it looks to be cleaned. I seen one others post here
commenting on the Spin Clean right after I posted this and was surprised by the job it did. I think I'll give it another chance to preform better.

Three times isn't enough if the album is very dirty. 6 or 7 times usually gets the job done. Also try taking the pads out after three or four times, rinsing and then soaking them with a few drops of the cleaning solution directly. It's a PITA but I find that a Saturday afternoon and a few sidecar cocktails make for a relaxing couple of hours.

I have one and I think it does a pretty good job. It is the same design as the spin clean. I watched a video on how the spin clean is used and I set this one up the same way as the spin clean works. The real difference is the spin clean fills the lower section where the brushes are with distilled water to give a rinse as it cleans. I think it works rather well.

I had a spin clean, a diy shopvac rig, and now an okki nokki. I feel like the spin clean did a good job for the price - main downfall for me is that I felt like it required big batches of records cleaned to make it worth setting up. That meant there were long periods I’d put off cleaning records I wanted to hear but didn’t want to drag my stylus through. Like you my budget was/is tight so I had to wait a few years to move on. You don’t have to feel like you are doing a disservice to your vinyl with those manual cleaners though IMO

Thank you all for your replies, they've been a great help. I will certainly take the pads out every few cleanings and rinse them and will take a look at that "Spin Clean" video.
Mine does have a space/reservoir below so maybe we'll try that............with it sitting in a pan in case it leaks to see if it's feasible or not.

I just viewed a video of the "Spin Clean" and I see no difference Except mine doesn't have a water line mark on the inside.
Looking carefully at the "Spin Clean" I figure about an inch and a quarter from the top of the unit should be just about right.
So I'll get me some distilled water and giver a try, I'm sure it'll work much better with the water rinse on top of spinning it much more then I have been.

Good luck! Put a record in the basin and THEN pour water until it reaches the play out area or about a 1/2 inch away from the label. That should work for almost all your records.

I just viewed a video of the "Spin Clean" and I see no difference Except mine doesn't have a water line mark on the inside.
Looking carefully at the "Spin Clean" I figure about an inch and a quarter from the top of the unit should be just about right.
So I'll get me some distilled water and giver a try, I'm sure it'll work much better with the water rinse on top of spinning it much more then I have been.

Try a small bottle of the SpinClean wash liquid, quite effective. :music:
https://spincleanrecordwasher.com/store/Spin-Clean®-8-oz-Bottle-Record-Washer-Fluid-MK3-p14190728

Good luck! Put a record in the basin and THEN pour water until it reaches the play out area or about a 1/2 inch away from the label. That should work for almost all your records.

Yes sir! doubleup.gif

Thank you sir for the link, I sure will.

The more I look at this unit the more I think they were made by the same people.
Although I have read that the Studebaker has a tendency to warp I haven't a clue why it would unless someone is letting it sit in direct sunlight in the summer heat or on there oven.
It seems to be made very well for being made of plastic and the base is fully enclosed so there is no flexing of the sides or anywhere else.
Maybe early units weren't made as well and that's what the references to warpage were about?

If you can't locate distilled water easily, just run your hot water until it gets real hot then fill a gallon jug. Let it cool then use that. Most minerals and nasties in the water usually will settle in the bottom of the water heater. It's the next best think. Also works well for your wet cell batteries. ( automotive type.)

If you can't locate distilled water easily, just run your hot water until it gets real hot then fill a gallon jug. Let it cool then use that. Most minerals and nasties in the water usually will settle in the bottom of the water heater. It's the next best think. Also works well for your wet cell batteries. ( automotive type.)

Yeah, I've heard that, thank you sir. LiftHat.gif

If it opens the door to cleaning records for you, then that's a good thing. But I wouldn't expect this unit to last long...it's in the same category as Crosley. Funny, both Studebaker and Crosley nameplates came from the auto industry, but whatever concern owns them now just rebrands asian imported goods with the moniker.

After careful consideration about the Spin Clean, I saved up more money and bought the Record Doctor 5 vacuum cleaner. For just $199, I spin the records myself while drying them and saved $300 over the Noki.They come out pristine.

After careful consideration about the Spin Clean, I saved up more money and bought the Record Doctor 5 vacuum cleaner. For just $199, I spin the records myself while drying them and saved $300 over the Noki.They come out pristine.

+1. Best value on the planet. Throw away the brush and the fluid that goes with it, use a paint pad and your favorite RCM fluid.

Thank you gentlemen for your input, I'll use it till the wheels fall of it see'n I can't afford nor justify spending anymore then I have on cleaning machines.
Next is wood glue. In fact I should go through all my vinyl and find the dirtiest offenders and do a glue treatment on them and then run'em through the disc washer.

Here's my method FWIW:
I use the SpinClean to clean the records exactly as the instructions say, but then I use a second SpinClean to rinse with plain distilled water, then air dry. The rinse cycle seems to get them cleaner. The white drying cloths that come with it leave fibers that end up on my stylus. I have added a huge C-clamp to both of my SpinCleans so that it grips the record tighter. I'm happy with the results.
Don't forget to use new sleeves after cleaning (especially if the old sleeve has a big hole in the middle), or at least blow the dust and dirt out of the sleeve first.

Here's my method FWIW:
I use the SpinClean to clean the records exactly as the instructions say, but then I use a second SpinClean to rinse with plain distilled water, then air dry. The rinse cycle seems to get them cleaner. The white drying cloths that come with it leave fibers that end up on my stylus. I have added a huge C-clamp to both of my SpinCleans so that it grips the record tighter. I'm happy with the results.
Don't forget to use new sleeves after cleaning (especially if the old sleeve has a big hole in the middle), or at least blow the dust and dirt out of the sleeve first.

Thank you sir, although I don't find the need to tighten mine up right now cause it pretty dadburn tight to begin with I'll keep that in mind if it ever loosens up.
And I think instead of using the towels that came with it I'll use some nice white micro fibers I have instead.

Back
Top Bottom