What's your thoughts on this Vinyl cleaner?

Becoming a subscriber here at AK opens up a lot more forums not available to the general viewing public. In these forums, one can find a lot of good deals on just about everything one could want for enjoying music.

Becoming a subscriber here at AK opens up a lot more forums not available to the general viewing public. In these forums, one can find a lot of good deals on just about everything one could want for enjoying music.

And I've certainly given it serious thought sir, just haven't been able to afford it with buying all this stuff for my gear, new multimeter,belts & pinch rollers, record cleaner, caps for crossovers, stylus, etc..
Yeah, pretty sad excuse but, it's the truth. But, sooner or later I'll have "Subscriber" under my avatar. wink.gif

I quit buying dirty records from yard sales, thrift stores, etc. long ago.
It wasn't worth all the work, and after all the heavy grime is removed, they're usually scratched underneath.
Unless it a rare collectible, or have sentimental value, I would advise buying clean copies from the start.

It wasn't worth all the work, and after all the heavy grime is removed, they're usually scratched underneath.
Unless it a rare collectible, or have sentimental value, I would advise buying clean copies from the start.

I derive pleasure from cleaning and don't view it as a chore. It's also the thrill of the hunt. HOWEVER.... if you don't enjoy all that then absolutely, buy new or used at a record store. To be frank, the savings if you add up all the time spent and money spent on cleaning supplies, you're not really "saving" all that much unless, also like me, you like opera and classical... in that case it's a freaking gold mine.

That's what I'm doing now or at least cleaner ones. My yard sale days are over sadly because of my back problems but, I still have many
albums from then that have not been cleaned or played yet, so once there out of the way things should be easier to keep them all clean.
The dadburn static here is just unbelievable though. It stays around 16-20% humidity here and always windy, hence the name Hurricane.
I clean an album, wipe it off and before I can get it to the turntable it's full of dust.
Getting a humidifier this month and that should stop that, at least in the house that is.

That's what I'm doing now or at least cleaner ones. My yard sale days are over sadly because of my back problems but, I still have many
albums from then that have not been cleaned or played yet, so once there out of the way things should be easier to keep them all clean.
The dadburn static here is just unbelievable though. It stays around 16-20% humidity here and always windy, hence the name Hurricane.
I clean an album, wipe it off and before I can get it to the turntable it's full of dust.
Getting a humidifier this month and that should stop that, at least in the house that is.

Trust me. As a person that lives in the tropics.... it's way better to have low humidity than the other way around. :)

I derive pleasure from cleaning and don't view it as a chore. It's also the thrill of the hunt. HOWEVER.... if you don't enjoy all that then absolutely, buy new or used at a record store. To be frank, the savings if you add up all the time spent and money spent on cleaning supplies, you're not really "saving" all that much unless, also like me, you like opera and classical... in that case it's a freaking gold mine.

Very little Opera here sir, some Musicals; Fiddler on the Roof, etc. but, that's as close as I get sir.
Classical, Bagpipes, older Rock, older Country Western, Pop, some Jazz, Blues, etc.

Last edited:
Trust me. As a person that lives in the tropics.... it's way better to have low humidity than the other way around. :)

I moved from Texas were it was around 75-80% humidity most the time and it really didn't bother me as much as getting shocked all the time and having most my furniture start splitting
from the dryness. Heck, my old truck use to get mold and mildew on it within a couple days of washing it. I vote for humidity sir.

Very little Opera here sir, some Musicals; Fiddler on the Roof, etc. but, that's as close as I get sir.
Classical, Bagpipes, older Rock, older Country Western, Pop, some Jazz, etc.

All good stuff. Especially bagpipes! If you are getting a lot of Irish/Scottish albums in good shape (Uillean or Elbow or Great Highland or the other one I can't remember) they are good especially if you don't particularly like the music because they often bring a high resale value and can finance other audio toys. I like it, so I keep most of them unless I get a double.

I moved from Texas were it was around 75-80% humidity most the time and it really didn't bother me as much as getting shocked all the time and having most my furniture start splitting
from the dryness. Heck, my old truck use to get mold and mildew on it within a couple days of washing it. I vote for humidity sir.

Ha! To each his own! :) I will trade you some tiny little static shocks for swamp ass any day of the week! :)

Ha! To each his own! :) I will trade you some tiny little static shocks for swamp ass any day of the week! :)

I'll gladly mail ya some, just PM me your address sir.
Of course it'll have to be ground shipping, can't take static on a plane.

Well, I've spent two whole days cleaning most every album I own, about 250 with this thing and I gotta tell ya it works, my sore fingers can attest to it.
I filled it with distilled water like the the Spin Clean and turn the album 3-4 or more times considering the condition of the album, wiped it down with a microfiber towel and whala (voila) shiny and clean. If I had missed anything I'd wet it again with the solution and take one of those paint trim pads to go over it and that did the trick. I kept an eye on the water and when it starting getting dirty I dumped it and filled it again and reapplied more cleaning solution.
I also used two microfiber towels, one used as a shammy and one to dry it well to a shine.
Played several of them in the process and nary a lint ball formed on my stylus. Now that there all clean it should be a small job of just wiping them down before after each play.......and no more dust bunnies! cheesy.gif
Thank you all for your advice and help. LiftHat.gif

I use a system with two Spin Cleans (one for wash and one for rinse) followed by a run through my home made Vacuum setup. The wash solution I make myself also.

I use a system with two Spin Cleans (one for wash and one for rinse) followed by a run through my home made Vacuum setup. The wash solution I make myself also.

I've check out some of the wash solutions on the market and they can get pretty pricey. Would you mind telling me what your solution consists of and the measurements/ percentages?

I've check out some of the wash solutions on the market and they can get pretty pricey. Would you mind telling me what your solution consists of and the measurements/ percentages?

I wouldn’t say this is perfect or the best recommended solution, but this is what I settled on (derived from the “record cleaning your doing it wrong” thread).

Hepastat 0.2%
Triton .13%
91% IPA 5%

The Hepastat I got from another member who bought a large quantity and them sold small bottles to members. The Triton I bought off Amazon.

Thank you, the API I got but, 99%, Hepastat is easy enough to get but, the Triton I'll have to research more.
I'll check that thread out too, Thank you again sir!

You'll have enough Hepastat to clean records until you're approximately twenty thousand years old.

all "Spin-to-Clean" cleans records perfectly - the differences are in the details:
1) are the labels protected?
2) does the drying stand protects the records?

Etc...

Use any liquid made of distilled water, some 20-30% clean alcohol, and (just!) a couple of drops of a detergent - it's all the same.

The difference between a silent record and a "popping" one, in my experience, is in the drying stage (with any kind of wet cleaning). that's the stage in which the record tends to collect dust from the air. So - clean records in an As-clean-as-possible room. Air-conditioning is good, as it dry out the air in more humid climates, thus quickening up the drying stage. I also tend to use a clean micro-fibre cloth to absorb access water from the record, to quicken it even further.

Back
Top Bottom