What's your thoughts on this Vinyl cleaner?

As you have found out, a multi-hundred (or even thousand in some cases) record cleaner is very nice, but often a plastic tub with a couple of felt pads can do a great job. Not that wouldn't kick one of those fancy machines out of my house, if someone for example, just sent me one for free, but the Spin Clean does a good enough job that I've slowly lost the desire to take it to the next level.

I guess if at some point the few remaining clicks start to bother me to the point where I can't enjoy the music, I'll start thinking about a US machine again.

all "Spin-to-Clean" cleans records perfectly - the differences are in the details:
1) are the labels protected?
2) does the drying stand protects the records?

Etc...

Use any liquid made of distilled water, some 20-30% clean alcohol, and (just!) a couple of drops of a detergent - it's all the same.

The difference between a silent record and a "popping" one, in my experience, is in the drying stage (with any kind of wet cleaning). that's the stage in which the record tends to collect dust from the air. So - clean records in an As-clean-as-possible room. Air-conditioning is good, as it dry out the air in more humid climates, thus quickening up the drying stage. I also tend to use a clean micro-fibre cloth to absorb access water from the record, to quicken it even further.

Not all detergents are created equal. Some will not address the static issue as they clean. Since static will draw dust, that alone is enough for me to use a non-ionic detergent.

The brushes and rollers look exactly like a Spin Clean. I guess the factory is selling them to different brands now.

I only get excellent results with my SC if I vacuum them afterwards, while still wet, with my wet/dry shop vac.

The brushes and rollers look exactly like a Spin Clean. I guess the factory is selling them to different brands now.

I only get excellent results with my SC if I vacuum them afterwards, while still wet, with my wet/dry shop vac.

Indeed the cleaning parts do look identical. And at less than half the price of the original it's kind of a bargain... although it seems not to come with the extras the SC does. Regardless, I still use my own things to dry. The Spin Clean proprietary cleaner does the job well and isn't terribly expensive IMO. I'd rather buy a quart of pre-made cleaner once every two years than futz around with DIY stuff. To each his own I guess.

I find that a rinse with distilled water after the Spin Clean cycle is just fine. Static isn't THAT much of an issue for me here in the tropics.

Last edited:
Tedrick, if it doesn't remove a lot of the nasties, then why does the hot water lines in a camper or a house freeze before the cold, also what is all the crap in the bottom of the water heater if you flush it out periodically.

Tedrick is right. Try a five minute Google search to answer your questions. Save everyone else from a chemistry lesson.

Jon

i use this record vac with solution of 0.1% triton x-100 and 5% isopropanol and paint pad fb 2x rinses with distilled water. great value imo.
canfab3d/squeaky clean vinyl. no affiliation.
6E91A8E3-6D56-46A4-920D-EC5A10137AB5.jpeg

Welp. I got it this morning after stealing it off the doorstep of the house it was mistakenly left on. (my address is WEST, like the label on the package, not EAST where it was left). I got it home and gave it a few literal spins. I dismissed the instructions and filled it with distilled water to the bottom of the balancing wheels right away, and then added the cleaning solution to the pads. I'll probably just use one of the many recipes around here in the future. But it's as basic as it looks. Just a plastic tub with some spindle wheels and a place for the brushes. records fit fairly snug and it seems to get them pretty clean. Ran em' through and dried with a couple MF towels. Records sound better than before. Worth probably what I paid for it. Makes the SpinClean seem like a ripoff, which, considering what they both are, it is.

Only thing I DON'T like is the fact that the SpinClean is yellow and this is black, which means you can't really see how dirty the water might be. Wish it came in white...

Welp. I got it this morning after stealing it off the doorstep of the house it was mistakenly left on. (my address is WEST, like the label on the package, not EAST where it was left). I got it home and gave it a few literal spins. I dismissed the instructions and filled it with distilled water to the bottom of the balancing wheels right away, and then added the cleaning solution to the pads. I'll probably just use one of the many recipes around here in the future. But it's as basic as it looks. Just a plastic tub with some spindle wheels and a place for the brushes. records fit fairly snug and it seems to get them pretty clean. Ran em' through and dried with a couple MF towels. Records sound better than before. Worth probably what I paid for it. Makes the SpinClean seem like a ripoff, which, considering what they both are, it is.

Only thing I DON'T like is the fact that the SpinClean is yellow and this is black, which means you can't really see how dirty the water might be. Wish it came in white...

Well, Ya can always sand it a little inside and spray paint it white. Myself I just keep checking the water as it does get cloudier and after about 20 records I dump and fill but, I had to do around 200+ albums.

Pull some water out with a turkey baster to check periodically.

Back
Top Bottom