When AK members - friends - silently disappear

Well, I just read all 29 pages of this thread hoping to find out what happened to "Brian" an old geezer. Seems he was last seen June of 2015.
I always enjoyed his posts, seemed to be a very pleasant man.

He did post this back in 2014 in this very thread

Quoted from Brian...
"I have pulled back since getting sick in 2010 and recently elected to stop receiving subscriptions for each thread I read. I doubt when the time comes, no one in the family will think of making an announcement here."

I hope all is well.

Well I earlier told you about my fight with the government about my Florence's years with the AEC. The lady appointed to hear my appeal of the denial remanded it and came down in our favor, so there will be recompense, not that this country has enough money to replace her. Moral of that story is if you want something done right give the task to a woman. She was such an accomplished lady and it all started when she was seventeen. I found this gold medal in with her jewelry and after much research found that she won it for singing Mozart's Alleluia - not the easiest piece for a soprano. She was so modest that she never mentioned it to me.

She spoke five languages, learned to fly after only eight hours of instruction*, started her own company in her early forties. One time driving me to the airport we were late and it was a good thing there were no police about, boy could she drive! I found a cassette tape of a dress rehearsal of the Mozart Requiem Mass she was singing the soprano role, she would certainly not have embarrassed the Baltimore Lyric Opera. The photo I found among her effects I suspect that was taken when she won the medal.

The last plane she flew was a Schweitzer (sp?) 2-32 sailplane.

Attachments

• Medal.jpg
    Medal.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0005.JPG
    IMG_0005.JPG
    28.6 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Well, I just read all 29 pages of this thread hoping to find out what happened to "Brian" an old geezer. Seems he was last seen June of 2015.

Quoted from Brian...
"I have pulled back since getting sick in 2010 and recently elected to stop receiving subscriptions for each thread I read. I doubt when the time comes, no one in the family will think of making an announcement here."

I hope all is well.
I know of this posting and him talking about it in the past, I miss him and know with what's gone on in my family and life I'll never see a new post again. I did see an old post the other day and it always gives me a reminder of a very nice member we no longer have here, however as long as the site is up and running his words will always be on these pages.

The UIL was the University Interscholastic League and the held Regional Meets among high schools. They had divided Texas into ten regions and Region six where she competed was one of the larger groups. Now basketball teams and marching bands did actually compete but for solo voice the student was competing against a known standard for that vocal range but not against one another. They also had to select their song from a list. In this manner the Judge knew how that song/aria should be sung. her judge was a well know music teacher from SMU who later went on to become rather famous.

It took a fair amount of digging and it was finally a retired member of the UIL who recognized the medal and wrote;

"Yep that is the first division (Superior) gold medal for solo performance. If I am not mistaken it was one of the earliest music medals given out by UIL. It would have had an orange and white ribbon because of the UIL connection with the U. of Texas. That was the highest music award given to individuals during the 1950's and early 60's. There were no state events until later."

It was a stroke of luck finding this retired man as no one else seemed to know what it was.

In the course of going through her effects I have found a photo that she wanted me to enlarge and join the four generations gracing our Playroom walls. I swear she could not have been older than ten months. She was first generation American her family having originated in Castile, Spain. Her 6x Great Grandmother Doña Elana De La Garza Rodriguez had a modest 2800 acre ranch outside Monterrey. I believe I have a copy of her will around here somewhere - amazing what you can find doing genealogical research.

Last edited:
She spoke five languages, learned to fly after only eight hours of instruction*, started her own company in her early forties.

First, glad to hear that Tentoze and Thor are still with us. Also, is Brian, aka "old geezer" gone? Sorry, perhaps I missed something. I always enjoyed his posts.

To Merrylander - your wife must have been one amazing lady. You have my deepest condolences for the loss of her, but please try to remember to be happy that you had such a wonderful run. My wife and I met later in life, and so we aren't assured of such an amazing duration as you shared with your wife.

I know of this posting and him talking about it in the past, I miss him and know with what's gone on in my family and life I'll never see a new post again. I did see an old post the other day and it always gives me a reminder of a very nice member we no longer have here, however as long as the site is up and running his words will always be on these pages.

So are we sure then that Brian is gone?

I was viewing the "Show us your Sony's" thread last night and stumbled across a bunch of his posts, all were helpful and kind.

Quoted from Brian...

I hope all is well.

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/sorry.655917/#post-8733010

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/heart-palpitations-and-me.650957/page-2#post-8669149

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/after-more-than-4-years-it-is-over.640253/

I have never been a drinker so, I do not know the demons that are unleashed. I am on meds, including morphine that makes me crazy and in the past few months have been horrified at some of what I write.

Knowing is half the battle, doing something about it the other half. Good luck in your battle. I hope you have the help and support to get through it.

So are we sure then that Brian is gone?

I was viewing the "Show us your Sony's" thread last night and stumbled across a bunch of his posts, all were helpful and kind.

I was speaking from what's in my heart as I have no facts. I know he had Cancer and Heart issues, was severely down sizing and was on medication for it. I put up some links and a quote because it was comments I would see from time to time, and a post I can't find that makes me feel this way. He was member #49 from 2002 and was posting even while on meds (morphine) and then one day nothing from him since.

That's all I know...

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/sorry.655917/#post-8733010

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/heart-palpitations-and-me.650957/page-2#post-8669149

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/after-more-than-4-years-it-is-over.640253/

I was speaking from what's in my heart as I have no facts. I know he had Cancer and Heart issues, was severely down sizing and was on medication for it. I put up some links and a quote because it was comments I would see from time to time, and a post I can't find that makes me feel this way. He was member #49 from 2002 and was posting even while on meds (morphine) and then one day nothing from him since.

That's all I know...

Thank you 4-2-7, you've somewhat confirmed what I had suspected.

Thank you 4-2-7, you've somewhat confirmed what I had suspected.
Yeah it's just kinda what I feel, Brian love this place and helping others, he wouldn't just stop one day after 13+ years if he could help it. I think I brought him up somewhere in this thread also in hopes to hear something from someone.

When in this life, I wonder if I'll be remembered, or cared to be remembered.....:idea:

Fixed that for ya. Don't we, as humans, all wonder that from time to time??

The answer, at least for most of us plebians, is no. We only matter to a select few. I know this may sound depressing, but realize, those few that will miss us, that do need us, that's what we're living for.

Within this small community (because despite our great numbers, there's a rather small batch of us that are the meat and potatoes) I tend to grieve when I hear news, or lack of news, concerning the passing or absence of one. Whether I physically meet you is of no concern of mine. Many of you have poured your heart out on these pages, and may have given me candor that you'd have a difficult time sharing with your actual family, or friends. Brian will be missed. So will Ronnie (Mulester7), Zilch, so many others.

Despite what the stiffs say, there is indeed an intimacy on forums such as this. Glad to share what time I have here.

First, glad to hear that Tentoze and Thor are still with us. Also, is Brian, aka "old geezer" gone? Sorry, perhaps I missed something. I always enjoyed his posts.

To Merrylander - your wife must have been one amazing lady. You have my deepest condolences for the loss of her, but please try to remember to be happy that you had such a wonderful run. My wife and I met later in life, and so we aren't assured of such an amazing duration as you shared with your wife.

She was 47 and I 52 when we met in the East Coast blizzard of Feb 1983. Two 'gentlemen' claiming to have been friends of her late husband had made indecent offers. That was not how I was raised so I protected her until morning. Sleep being impossible we talked all night long and by morning we knew that we had met our soulmates (b'sheirt). She was indeed an amazing lady and a most loving wife.

We all of us might wonder that as well. They do say that as long as one person thinks of us we will still be here.
Yeah, sometimes I think of the passage of time and as time goes so does your memory. Like looking at family trees and people that passed before me, but I wouldn't be here without them. They where dear and in someones memories , but really mean nothing in my memories.

I guess we can only carry the memory so far for the common man/woman aside from anything history making.

Back
Top Bottom