1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

When AK members - friends - silently disappear

Discussion in 'General Off Topic Forums' started by HarmanKardon, Aug 21, 2013.

1. jami w.

jami w. just being me thats all

i def will Chris !!

John James likes this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. bobsvinyl

bobsvinyl Painfully Aware Subscriber

Just a shout out that I'll be gone next week on a visit to our nation's capitol to see our son. His girlfriend is graduating from medical school and they'll be moving to St. Louis for her residency. He has already found a job in a hospital out there that's close to her program.

My son was my flea market buddy when he was growing up, so he told me he's already scoped out all the thrifts in the area and we're going to spend part of a day crate digging. I'm guessing I'll mail anything back to NH that I find rather than try to drag it home on the plane. I'll be around but not very often.

3. hjames

hjames beware of folks offering Cakes Staff Member Moderator Subscriber

Got a PM from him yesterday. He's had some health issues and is pretty limited with "energy or time" to do much.
    Says he's got an awesome family with great support, so he's changed how he is living but not to worry - he's doing well. Also said he's got a nice Yamaha system that sounds real good :)

Last edited: May 11, 2018
  4. John James

John James "Bob's your uncle" (Stolen) Subscriber

Please tell him that there are many of us that miss his posts.

5. noogies

noogies My Favorite Woofers. Subscriber

Good to hear, Bob. Thanks for keeping us apprised -- you know how we worry. Hope you have a great time and best to the family.

IPADave and bobsvinyl like this.
  6. Ilikevinyl

Ilikevinyl Cool Breeze Subscriber

St. Louis area now has a "Half Price Books" store! Your son will really like that, Bob! You raised him well! :thumbsup:

https://www.hpb.com/123

bobsvinyl likes this.

7. HarmanKardon

HarmanKardon Tubes still smell funny Subscriber

@Shominy

I miss Shominy. Yes - I know that his last post was just two days ago. It is alarming anyway. It was such a mistake to start the milestone thread for him. It was meant as a gesture of kind affection, but the thread achieved the exact opposite.

Last edited: May 15, 2018
  8. noogies

What happened?

9. HarmanKardon

He was so disappointed that only few members congratulated on his milestone. Everybody knows that he is the most busy poster at the "make me smile" thread (and busy in the gaming threads as well) and so the poor feedback triggered the decision to quit.

10. noogies

Yeah, I found it. Thanks, Chris. Hopefully, he'll come back soon and see the thread with the additional commentary. I have been travelling and have had only limited access to AK and so never noticed it until this morning.

HarmanKardon likes this.
  11. IPADave

IPADave Which one's Pink? Subscriber

For some reason I didn't see your post until the next day. I expressed my congratulations, as did many others. I certainly hope that he has not left our community. He's one of our finest members.

-Dave

HarmanKardon likes this.

12. Shominy

Shominy Lunatic Member

Chris- you did a very nice thing, and I thanked you. Don't ever think that you are not doing a good thing when producing them. It's more than vanity and 'likes' anyway.

The Music Artists In Motion thread: dead zone- I'm the 98+% contributor.
    The Mesmerizing GIFs thread- a worse dead zone; I am, for all intents and purpses, the sole contributor since what, Dec or prior?

I have no idea that anyone cares about either of them despite my hours scouring the web for these GIFs for the enjoyment of a larger group here. It's EXACTLY like playing a stadium concert with no audience response, and with everyone in hiding. Would you play those venues... anyone? You just get worn out and tired... and decide that it's not worth the effort to produce any more. Besides, the outdoors calls to me all of the time, and I've got this like-minded girl with me (who is not a silent observer).

I get far more engagement at Whiteblaze, Supertopo, MountainProject, VWVortex, and Summitpost. It seems like there is an audience with a pulse at these hiking, climbing, mountaineering, and VW forums. Please forgive my blanket statement if you are one of the 'silent purveyors', but still...

Some random thoughts...
    I'm not gone, just unplugged and in thought, recovery, and re-evaluation.

Last edited: May 15, 2018
  13. HarmanKardon

Take a "time out", friend.

Your girl will appreciate it (is it the lovely girl in your avatar I have admired for such a long time?), and you will enjoy it as well. After a while - come back, if you may, and keep on being a precious pillar of our community.

14. Ronald1973

Ronald1973 8-trackin', Hank, Sr. man

I haven't ventured into the GIF thread simply because GIF's aren't my thing. I love keeping up with what you post in "Put a Smile on Your Face" thread. I've often laughed and then shared said pictures on Facebook for my 809 friends to see. I'm sure others do the same here. Of those 809 friends, I'd assume some of those also reshare what I've shared. You are, in a simple word, a blessing. Keep up the good work!

15. noogies

Same here. Actually, I avoid most video content so I haven't really been able to appreciate your work in PASOYF, either. But I certainly enjoy your text commentary and participation in the game threads. It would be a shame if you stopped posting.

HarmanKardon likes this.
  16. usedto

usedto Lunatic Member

The problem is they don't provide enjoyment for everyone. I have told you before that posting GIFs in threads causes issues for users like me on slow wireless or dial-up connections. If I want to see GIFs, I can look them up myself.

I can't count the threads I've started that get few or no responses. That's life. I've learned something, and moved on.

You can do the same.:thumbsup:

parman likes this.

17. usedto

usedto Lunatic Member

hifi-nut (Jorge) hasn't been around since March of 2016. Great guy.

18. ETLS

ETLS metacarpophalangealcranium Subscriber

Since I have an old phone and no computer, it is almost impossible for me to open the YouTube, gif, and such without them literally locking up my screen. It would be nice if I could participate and enjoy the posts, but not likely to happen.

19. Dave1384

Dave1384 Stuck in the 70's

Shominy, your cat photos are neat .

HarmanKardon likes this.
  20. SolderIron

SolderIron Super Member

Shominy, I appreciate your posts.

HarmanKardon likes this.