When AK members - friends - silently disappear

Discussion in 'General Off Topic Forums' started by HarmanKardon, Aug 21, 2013.

1. bobsvinyl

bobsvinyl Painfully Aware Subscriber

I love your threads, Shominy. I usually participate in the gif ones but this is a busy time of year. Keep the faith. :rockon:

Please register to disable this ad.

2. RT Fan

RT Fan AK Subscriber Subscriber

Shominy, for those of us who visit AK while at work any Youtube links and Gifs are blocked, So for me there was no point in clicking on those threads. I always appreciated your contributions to the Smile thread. Take a break, enjoy Spring and come visit us whenever you get the chance. Hopefully we will all still be here. Take care.

HarmanKardon and Ronald1973 like this.
  3. Ronald1973

Ronald1973 8-trackin', Hank, Sr. man

I generally get a kick out of 99% of the stuff in the "smile" thread. I don't click "like" on everything because I hate being a "like" hog (I'm the same way on Facebook). I don't want someone having 100 notifications all from me. As I said before, the absolute bone ticklers I save to my computer and share on Facebook.

4. lbls1

lbls1 Active Member

My definition of a friend is a person that you can count on, that you can reach. I've been in a lot of relationships that seemed like friendships, but as time passes on experience has shown me who my real friends are (and who are not). If someone who befriends you doesn't have the common courtesy to call you or drop a line to see how you are, then that person is not a real friend IMO. Someone like this is just a friendly acquaintance. I've lost touch with quite a few people online and in person that seemed to be nice and friendly, but not friendly enough to call you, acknowledge you or even saying a brief hello.

Experience has taught me to use the word "friend" very carefully. It is because of my past experiences that I shun from calling most people friends. Friendships can be one of the best experiences that one can have, in sharing common experiences, joy, and sometimes misfortune. A friendship is also one of the easiest relationships to start, as it usually starts with having something in common. What a friend means to me is someone that will be there when you need them. Also remember, to have friends means also that you have to be a friend to others when they may need you.

Having friends and being a friend can be one of the most challenging life experiences to have. That's one reason why I don't stress the smaller stuff; People that don't keep up with you or acknowledge you are not friends, never really were friends, and probably don't know what the word means.

Ronald1973 likes this.
  5. SoCal Sam

SoCal Sam Lunatic Member

Common interest and shared enthusiasm for our hobby isn't the strongest bond. I like many of the people I have met through AK but they are not friends in the sense that they would post bail or lend money.

HarmanKardon and stish like this.
  6. HarmanKardon

HarmanKardon Tubes still smell funny Subscriber

Got a dime, buddy? ;)

John James and 4-2-7 like this.

7. HarmanKardon

When I started this thread many years ago, I had not actually the real friend in mind, the non-virtual friend. I had members in mind we have met many many times, members we appreciate. But in a lot of cases in the last years the qualities of what seperates an AK "friend" from a non-virtual friend had been almost Zero.

What I'm trying to express by using my lousy English language skills is that there have been AK members in severe trouble, sometimes in life threatening trouble and our community helped them siginificantly to overcome the crises. I had such an experience serveral times.

Real friends - sitting on their screens - just separated physically from each other.

4-2-7, Te-Te and lbls1 like this.
  8. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Smart Ass Sponsor Subscriber

I'd send funds your way if you needed help, so I guess we're friends. In fact I see a lot of people helping others on this site in a monetary way.

ETLS, wlhd1610, Te-Te and 2 others like this.
  9. HarmanKardon

Dan, I had for example you in mind when I posted my last comment. A lot of us know that right you have done great jobs on the monetary topic.

4-2-7 and Hyperion like this.
  10. HarmanKardon

@Shominy

Well - c'mon now, dude! ;)

Chris :)

11. MannyE

MannyE Exterminate! Subscriber

I never lend friends money. :)