When did the rest of the world hate us?

Status
Not open for further replies.

quaddriver

120 What?'s per channel
Subscriber
By us, I mean here, the AK.

I was searching for something earlier and I came up with a bunch of audio websites that mention us by name and hate us because we put too much emphasis on vintage or low end units (1280 was mentioned by model).

their words not mine.

So let me get this straight, if we talk about vintage units, we get the big buck modern only snobs looking down at us, and if we dont worship them and theirs in return, they are snobs again.

perhaps they are better off in a self imposed hell.

hmmmpfffff!

There are snobs in every hobby .I ignore them .I also would admire the guy that has a 500,000 system that loves to listen to and talk about a 1500 dollar system.aA few years ago I was launching my cedarstrip boat and the fella beside me was getting a very pricey large boat ready to launch.He came right over and we chatted about the woody as his wife and kids stood there and looked horrified that he dare associate with an obvious peasant (me).

It may or maynot be related, but on most of them, there is no serious tech section. They go about as far as 'use these cables over these'. You will never find a "recommended sub for a 2SC458" over there!

(thats cuz they use oxygen free 2SC458s! ba-ba-dum!)

Raw jealousy.

I got the "look" and "attitude" from a dick in the vintage shop.
He was sizing up the McIntosh gear in the show case.
I tried to chat him up and he came off all stuck up because he was from the high end custom installer store.

HaHaHa.

I fix and flip vintage and make money and friends.
I trash the shit he sells when it shows up.
Can't fix it and it's worthless when it works.
And, I cannot stand the sound of it when it works.

Anyone want some of that snob crap to play with?
PM me, I am going to be trashing a bunch real soon.

Part of my dislike for it is that it costs $$$$ ($$$$$$$) new but I can't flip it.
I bust ass busting it up for copper and aluminum.

I got no beef with people that have it and like it.
It's just doesn't fit my ears.

The vintage 'emphasis' is due to the fact that way more actual High Fidelity gear was sold in the three decades from 1960-90 than all that has come afterwards. The industry doesn't like that, the High Enders don't like it and reviewers and retailers don't like it.

The golden years are not a pretense, and it's the near quarter million members here that have a mix of gear spanning roughly 70 years of innovation that makes AK the powerhouse of influence on the internet. Looking down collective noses only makes others appear ignorant and foolish IMO.

I would think that retailers would do very well if they were to accept that people have a mix of classic and modern gear, and the market for classics is significant. Adjust their trade-in policies and prices to reflect market values of classic gear and enjoy having a decent trade-in section and sales of new gear they would otherwise miss.

...were a multi billionaire I cannot come to the understanding toward parting with $100k for a pair of speakers another $100k for a pair of monoblocks or another $50k for an integrated....
I honestly, can't see the cost vs benefit....

Well, for a little perspective, if you had just $1 billion, dropping $250k is like someone with $100,000 spending $25.

So, I think probably it would be different tune if you actually were a multi-billionaire. ;)

because we put too much emphasis on vintage or low end units (1280 was mentioned by model).
Well this site does at least for the ones that tend to be posting.

So let me get this straight, if we talk about vintage units, we get the big buck modern only snobs looking down at us, and if we dont worship them and theirs in return, they are snobs again.

I look at that comment as snobbish and really why this site has less types of other owners other than vintage and moderately inexpensive. I see others leave this site because it's "Not All Audio" In fact there has been quiet a few sites started up from members that left here specifically because you felt what you just said was ok. It's this behavior that pushes others away, like manufacturer and industry support.

I was searching for something earlier and I came up with a bunch of audio websites that mention us by name and hate us
I also must say I'm on other sites and never ever see what you are saying. Lets see some links to these audio sites, or is this something you want to promote for what ever reason. It should be really easy to show us as you just did this search, and there was bunches and bunches of sites and post talking about AK.

I could be wrong, but I get the sense that a lot of "high-end audio" folks get a thrill out of having the "best" stuff more because it's supposedly the best and most expensive, without really knowing why, or actually getting their hands dirty messing around with it. There's nothing wrong with that I guess, it's just not too interesting for me.

It's probably similar with other things like cars. I mean, how many Bugatti owners change their own oil, or even know how?

Around here, it seems like most of us like to get our hands dirty, whether that means simply mixing and matching older gear, or actually taking apart and repairing stuff.

If anyone want's to look down on me for that, that's their problem. I'm happy where I am.

If so, those other guys are a bunch of peacocks.
gettyimages-530777824.gif

I look at that comment as snobbish and really why this site has less types of other owners other than vintage and moderately inexpensive. I see others leave this site because it's "Not All Audio" In fact there has been quiet a few sites started up from members that left here specifically because you felt what you just said was ok. It's this behavior that pushes others away, like manufacturer and industry support.

hogwash. show me *one* post where I have ever exhibited that type of behaviour. I worship no one, I deride no one. as I said, their words, not mine. and fercrissake, ME? the guy who hates no brands and restores EVERYTHING that even the low fi guys turn their noses up at?????. no offense, but this post served no purpose other than to let you hear yourself talk.

I also must say I'm on other sites and never ever see what you are saying. Lets see some links to these audio sites, or is this something you want to promote for what ever reason. It should be really easy to show us as you just did this search, and there was bunches and bunches of sites and post talking about AK.

I believe it might be against the rules to post such, but if I get the ok, sure, I have the results in cache. but just in case its not against the rules, since I already referenced this, 3 years ago from reddit:
I've been a member at AK for years now, and I'm getting tired of the vintage bias. Every time I ask about or comment about something newer I just get drowned out by "OMG look at this vintage Pioneer receiver" or "Look at these old Klipsch I just scroed [sic]". I'm interested in high fidelity, and for the most part modern audio or top shelf vintage equipment such as Threshold, Conrad Johnson, etc and not old Advents, Klipsch, or other speakers that have in my blunt opinion been surpassed by far cheaper options that outperform them (But have no nostalgia attached).

Anyone know of a forum that is as active as AK with actual discussions and helpful folks about modern audio gear? I basically just am tired of reading about mid-fi vintage receivers that everyone thinks are "Better than this cheap new junk!". If someone wants to blow $1,200 on an SX-1280 as opposed to a high-end amplifier that would easily outperform it that's fine, I just don't want to read about it anymore. I really feel like I'm in the wrong place there since I see more people using receivers than separates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom