When did the rest of the world hate us?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every audio forum has some people that seem to have the opinion what they are the only experts, I am a rank amateur but this forum seems to have the most with that attitude. Maybe it is because I have been a member so long and saw the change over time. This forum was started as a respite from the others, now it has become just like the others.

As long as I participate in this forum, it will be different. Very different. And because it is NOT like the others, I am still here. I can tell you that I left a lot of forums, most of them German ones.

Last edited:
And regarding the question "when did the rest of the world start hating us?"? Bullocks to them: great contemporary gear don' make bad tunes sound no (any -- for the polite English readers/writers) better.

nb: @ what time did these boards "go down", as promised, today (Sunday, 8 April)? Must have been during my outing to escotrt a visiting Californian to see & walk the (former) Fortress of the Dukes Of Lorraine in Sierk Les Bains.

By us, I mean here, the AK.

I was searching for something earlier and I came up with a bunch of audio websites that mention us by name and hate us because we put too much emphasis on vintage or low end units (1280 was mentioned by model).

their words not mine.

So let me get this straight, if we talk about vintage units, we get the big buck modern only snobs looking down at us, and if we dont worship them and theirs in return, they are snobs again.

perhaps they are better off in a self imposed hell.

hmmmpfffff!

Kudos for starting this thread, it's been too long we @ AK play @ this game wearing kid gloves.

Thanks for the pats on the back guys, it's encouraging, but I'll stop @ my last comment lest I be the cause of a locked thread.

I personally think vintage is far more interesting and appealing. And I think it's great that there's a site that celebrates vintage. It's great culture. The best thing is it gets repaired and it gets used. It's not for everybody - one nice thing about mass market is that the mass market is less likely to spend its hard earned money on boutique snake oil.

edit - are we in danger of being locked? If so I don't want to be the last guy to post cuz it will look bad. Somebody post something

I personally think vintage is far more interesting and appealing. And I think it's great that there's a site that celebrates vintage. It's great culture. The best thing is it gets repaired and it gets used. It's not for everybody - one nice thing about mass market is that the mass market is less likely to spend its hard earned money on boutique snake oil.

edit - are we in danger of being locked? If so I don't want to be the last guy to post cuz it will look bad. Somebody post something
Cats are Fuzzy , Vintage is Fuzzy = Cats are Vintage ?? Or Vintage are Cats ??

Another tie in. Tube watts are like Dog Watt years vs Solid State Watt years.

And Dogs are Fuzzy also.

Frannie

PS: I am certain a post like I just did here would get me banned elsewhere. So AK is best because it allows my goofiness.

Oh and I can post here in morse code.

There is indeed a strong emphasis here on vintage equipment. Even when we discuss about, say, CD players, its mostly about units designed before many residents of other forums were born. And since we are discussing vintage, there's a real percentage of discussions about fixing faulty stuff, servicing, bringing old gems back to their former glory (or close by).

I have visited other forums and some I hate, some were nice to visit. Those discussing the latest and greatest without any real understanding of how music comes out of the damn thing are the worst. Anti-vibration feet for CD players and heavy weight CD transports on plinths to minimize digital jitter. Ouch!. I really hate snake oil.

If I may bring an analogy with vintage cars, I'd say that a 50's Mercedes Benz 300SL has about the same performance with my current car (an Audi S3 8L). Now, which is the cooler car to drive? There are those who would say it's last years (at most) current model. And there are some that would dedicate time, effort and money to restore a 60 years old car and enjoy driving it.

It's like comparing "ease of use, practicality and interest only in using a consumer product" against "interest on how it works and desire to make an old gem shine again". Two different vantage points, each with their merits. I would not discard either. It's important that one doesn't dismiss what they don't understand.

If I may bring an analogy with vintage cars, I'd say that a 50's Mercedes Benz 300SL has about the same performance with my current car (an Audi S3 8L). Now, which is the cooler car to drive? There are those who would say it's last years (at most) current model. And there are some that would dedicate time, effort and money to restore a 60 years old car and enjoy driving it.
Well if its 10000 degrees out with 2000 percent humidity that Audi is cooler to drive with its AC.

Frannie

let me pose this: this website (AK) has the best hands down tech section of pretty much anything on the web (unless there is on on the dark web about making nukes or something) the tech section thrives and gets drama free posts hundreds at a time, because many someones in many someplaces, worldwide want the vintage stuff to work again. and the reasons WHY are not important. complaining about that is like going to "squarebodychevy.com" and whining they talk about trucks too much.

again, mebbe I dont hang out in too many places too many times as the vast majority of my reads are in tech, and my writes are distributed. but I do not recall people saying 'you new stuff sucks' I am prepared to be proven wrong on that, but I have seen, here and elsewhere people saying 'your old stuff sucks'

Well if its 10000 degrees out with 2000 percent humidity that Audi is cooler to drive with its AC.

Frannie

But vintage can be updated.....

Just like a car with better quality internal components, I’ve put air conditioning in many classic cars. Just like changing out internal components in stereo equipment for better modern components. Using high grade German caps is like putting disc brakes in a ‘50 Ford shoe box...a chop top ‘50 Ford business coupe !!! Nothing has to stay OEM...

If you personalize what you own are you still a consumer of OEM ???

F them...
I do all sorts of things that seem to piss other people off.
I belong to a vinyl group who's members talk about CD's and cassettes, I pointed out it was a vinyl group and boy did I get pounced on... meh who cares.
My Harley chopper is more not Harley than it is Harley, the Harley guys give me a hard time because my bike looks sort of like a sport bike... meh who cares

If I am supposed to live my life and never make anybody else uncomfortable or never hurt anybody's feelings then F that, I'll do whatever I want and if it bothers them too F'n bad, step up if you feel that strongly. Most of them are keyboard warriors and would hide under their bed if confronted.

AK dudes are some of the best there are, there is still the odd A-hole (me) but they're mostly harmless.

My 1979 Audi has no AC. But I love it anyway, for more than 30 years.

View attachment 1158037

Yes, but there are Audi’s that came with air conditioning equipment that fits your car....so you have the option when you want to have a compressor rebuilt and have it installed. But many in your country will not spend the money to do so because of how people view spending money on a car that has little monetary value. That’s the difference between the concept of having new stereo equipment over classic stereo equipment and those that rebuild and improve vintage equipment without caring what others think especially if your going to keep something forever. Or, if it’s just something that interests you without caring what others think. Some people are into things and not into what others think about.

When I was in Germany I had a 1978 BMW 323i, I pulled the engine and engine electrical harness and components out and put in a 1988 325ES engine block with a 1988 325IS cylinder head with a 524TDI turbo exhaust and intake system with the 325IS engine harness and electrical components. I was in the BMW club in Langeselbold near Hanau and the German members...I was the only American, thought the car would never run. They helped me adjust everything to run effectively and I let them drive the are when finished and they were smiling while still shaking their heads.

It’s called thinking outside of the box, that things don’t have to be any certain way. That cars just like stereo equipment can become personalized to the needs of the individual and not just some consumer product that eventually gets recycled !!!

My wife drove a ‘79 Audi 100....

let me pose this: this website (AK) has the best hands down tech section of pretty much anything on the web (unless there is on on the dark web about making nukes or something) the tech section thrives and gets drama free posts hundreds at a time, because many someones in many someplaces, worldwide want the vintage stuff to work again.'
I'll bet most of the visits from Google hits are people trying to fix something. Anybody can claim to have golden ears but if you're trying to talk somebody through troubleshooting and repair you better know your stuff. Before I got high-speed internet and drifted over to Music that's pretty much all I did here.

I have read far too many threads where someone misidentifies the woofer used in a speaker.
This type of wrong info does look bad for the forum.

It is more than that. It is reactions like in this thread (link below) that really makes AK look bad.

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/totem-speakers-amp.259697/page-2

If you haven't heard the equipment, you can't judge it but people on this forum pass judgements like above ALL THE TIME. That is what makes AK look bad.

That is the thread I am referring to.

Totem uses Hi-Vi Research. ATC, Scan Speak woofers and MB Quart tweeters in their vast line of speakers.
Each model is obviously different.
Dynaudio sells drivers to speaker companies but not to the DIY crowd anymore.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom