When did you start collecting audio gear?

Discussion in 'AK Polls' started by camerakid, Jun 25, 2016.

?

When did you start collecting audio gear?

1. 5-10

23 vote(s)
    12.6%
  2. 11-16

80 vote(s)
    44.0%
  3. 17-22

40 vote(s)
    22.0%
  4. 27-32

13 vote(s)
    7.1%
  5. 32-37

5 vote(s)
    2.7%
  6. 37 or +, please specify in post

21 vote(s)
    11.5%
  1. camerakid

camerakid Active Member

How old were you when you started collecting gear? I had my first full-on stereo at 11 yrs old.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2016
  2. sKiZo

sKiZo Hates received: 8641 Subscriber

Point of order.

We talking years collecting, or years old when you started collecting?

3. camerakid

camerakid Active Member

How old you were when you started collecting. Should've stated that when I made the thread...

4. Nightwisher

Nightwisher Farer In The Goldilocks Zone Subscriber

I started between age 11 and 16. It's really ramped up the past 2-3 years (I'm 22).

Djcoolray and camerakid like this.
  5. wlhd1610

wlhd1610 Penny and her new friend Subscriber

I started when I was 8.
    After delivering the morning edition of The Cleveland Plain Dealer newspaper I would fill up my Radio Flyer wagon with all the old tube radio gear that people had set out by their curb and bring it home .
    Needless to say my mom was not happy but I had a ball taking it apart!

Bob

6. s-petersen

s-petersen Scott Subscriber

I started collecting in 1974 when I was 14,I mostly started with old radios and switched to stereo at 18

hippiedude and camerakid like this.
  7. GearHead454

GearHead454 Still Lost Subscriber

I got my first stereo (Sony receiver with integrated TT stuck on top) at about age 12 but at age 19 I bought a Toshiba System 15 (separates) and EPI 100v speakers. Those and every thing I have bought since then I still have so I started buying at 12 but I started "Collecting" at age 19.

camerakid and Nightwisher like this.
  8. MaxxVolume

MaxxVolume AK Subscriber Subscriber

I was about 10 when I got my first transistor radio....it was a red & white Motorola, about the size of a cigar box (Bobby Darin`s "Mack The Knife" was No. 1 on the radio charts for that entire summer). About a year or two later, I got a GE suitcase-type record player, it had a fold-down (stereo) turntable (3-speed changer), with detachable speakers, allowing for a 7 or 8-foot wide soundstage. Early album choices: The Ventures, the Everly Brothers, Beach Boys, Duane Eddy, Chubby Checker, Little Stevie Wonder. A few years later, The British Invasion, Motown, and Dylan changed music forever.

A stint in the military REALLY opened my eyes to the possibilities of serious stereo gear. A lot of the GIs returning from Viet Nam had some awesome gear....all those Sansui, Pioneer, Teac, Akai units spun my head and made me drool. While in country, I ordered from the PX, a Sansui 5000 receiver, a Teac 4010S R2R deck, and Pioneer CS-99 speakers. IIRC, it cost me right around $500....such a deal :)

bobins08 and Nightwisher like this.
  9. pdm4606

pdm4606 Super Member

I started collecting in 1957 when I was 14. Been making a mess out of closets since.
    Also the start of the stereo conversion. At the time many folks laughed at stereo. "It'll never work."
    "You mean I have to buy 2 speakers to get true sound?, NO WAY."
    "Just another fad."
    "Multiplex for FM. What about crosstalk with storecasting?" There were 3 systems proposed to the FCC. The final one was the worst as it was an AM sideband stuck inside the FM signal. First receivers/tuners could pickup static, I was told.
    LP stereo was fought also. "too much noise for me".
    The only approved method was 2 channel tape.

10. blhagstrom

blhagstrom Mad Scientist, fixer. Subscriber

Got my first stereo back in the 70s, upgraded quickly to a Marantz 2275, BIC 960 and a set of BIC Formula 4 Venturi.
    Added a Pioneer SX-6000 when my uncle got killed.
    Bought out a friend who went to college, Pioneer SL-1300, RG-2, SG-9600, SR-202, RT-707.

Took a break for 30 years, Picked up a Marantz 2230B at work, a 2230 at the thrift store, a POS something that I traded for a Pioneer SL-1400 at my yard sale (score!), a Pioneer SX-650 that started to act up.
    Came here, learned to fix from MTF and others and fell right over the cliff into vintage audio HELL!

Truck loads! IN, OUT, EVERYWHERE.

I KNOW there will be people at my estate sale that will be thinking WTF!?!?!?!

Kieran Jones and Nightwisher like this.
  11. HarmanKardon

HarmanKardon Tubes still smell funny Subscriber

I love music since I was a kid. But I started to collect high quality vintage gear in 2005.

12. sobolan

sobolan Active Member

I started collecting when I was 20, meaning around 2008. Since then I keep bringing home receivers, tuners etc., working or not. It started taking room form my typewriter collection:D

hippiedude likes this.
  13. hippiedude

hippiedude New Member

Got my first proper stereo at 11,(mid-late 70's) a ferguson record player. (Prior to this I had a Dansette mono valve record player from about the age of 6) Closely followed by waltham and philips cassette recorders which were duely taken apart, adapted (lol) and somehow re-assembled. Been buying and selling ever since ;-)

14. ScramMan2

ScramMan2 AK Subscriber Subscriber

46+ years ago. I started with a used Heath receiver, Dual TT, 8-track player, and Magnavox speakers with 15 inch woofers.

I'm a USMC Vietnam veteran but I never bought any audio or camera gear for myself when I was over there.

15. ...in 1985 at the age of 12 and continue to do so 31 years later. :music:

16. tubed

tubed Lunatic Member

May 31st, 2008, just around the time I joined AK.
    My first post, I asked if anybody had an extra HPM-200 tweeter available.
    It didn't go over too well for a first post:whip:

While waiting for an answer I perused the site and couldn't help but notice dudes getting ridiculous deals on vintage stuff:eek2: and quickly got in on the act.

Nightwisher likes this.
  17. Harvey/ Ga

Harvey/ Ga Super Member

I was 22 when I started with a Bogen R-660 tuner, DB-115 amp and the DIY corner labyrinth with 8 inch Wharfedale. Hooked me on Wharfies from then on...

camerakid likes this.
  18. bonzoro

bonzoro Swill Bucket

Started collecting when I was old enough to hear, now 60 years later, I'm near deef.

Kieran Jones likes this.
  19. 2526

2526 AK Subscriber Subscriber

What about 22 - 27? I feel that I'm being left out.

Kieran Jones and camerakid like this.
  20. OnTheBlitz

OnTheBlitz It's all good! Hunter & Scooter Love Pink Floyd :) Subscriber

When I was 12 years old. Had a full on real HiFi by 14 years old in 1978:

Onkyo A7 Integrated Amplifier
    onkyo_a-7_amplifier.jpg
    Onkyo Tuner T4090
    onkyo-t-4090_0-1.jpg
    Speakerlab S6WA's
    Speakerlab 6WA 1978-1.jpg

Technics TT W/Shure MKIV Cartridge

bobins08 likes this.