1. Rest in Peace Paul (Kegger) If you would like to help the family in this time of great sorrow and need, you may donate on their GoFundme page: https://www.gofundme.com/mckechnie-medical-and-funeral-fund?
    Dismiss Notice

When did you start collecting audio gear?

Discussion in 'AK Polls' started by camerakid, Jun 25, 2016.

?

When did you start collecting audio gear?

1. 5-10

15 vote(s)
    10.9%
  2. 11-16

62 vote(s)
    44.9%
  3. 17-22

31 vote(s)
    22.5%
  4. 27-32

12 vote(s)
    8.7%
  5. 32-37

5 vote(s)
    3.6%
  6. 37 or +, please specify in post

13 vote(s)
    9.4%
  1. thomo57

thomo57 Super Member

I've had a " system" since l was about 13
    It wasn't for many years ( probably 30 years)until l actually started to collect enjoy and sell on items l didn't want and keep the best ( probably sold a few that fit into this:()

OnTheBlitz likes this.
  2. Ds2000

Ds2000 All About every cool stereo component. Subscriber

Likely around 11 with this little gem for $5 from a neighbor running a garage sale.
    IMG_0983.JPG

OnTheBlitz likes this.
  3. VNeal

VNeal New Member

12 or 13

birthday present from my dad
    he was an audiophime and had McIntosh & Marantz tubed gear, AR turntable & AR speakers

4. Quadman2

Quadman2 Super Member

Does a pocket transitor-type that would need batteries every four days count? Or was it one that you had to carry it on the shoulder-type?:)

Q

camerakid likes this.
  5. longle

longle Active Member

In 1957 I asked for, and received, a Steelman model 4A23 tabletop stereo (wooden cabinet) for my 16th birthday. My cousin was good friends with a Steelman dealer and he ordered up a special model for me. That was my primary player until after I got married. For our first Christmas together in 1962 we bought a new Magnavox stereo console. Wish I still had both of them.

camerakid likes this.
  6. Phil-from-Tn

Phil-from-Tn AK Subscriber Subscriber

I started with an AM Heathkit. My dad had finished his Heathkit AR-15 and I just had to have one...... what I didn't realize was my sneaky Dad had bought two kits. He gave me mine three years later on my sixteenth birthday. Man I was in heaven. Then I moved on to Dynaco's and that started a journey. I'm in the process of accumulating all the mods and parts to update my original Pat-4 and 410-A I've been lugging around all these years. The AR-15 came up "missing" when we moved one time but I've replaced it with a fully restored and modded unit I listen to everyday. The 6WA's were great sounding. I cloned the Speaker lab 7's with parts from McGee Radio back in the day. I'm still listening to those and they sound great after replacing the tired crossovers.

camerakid likes this.
  7. KevinJS

KevinJS Super Member

Around 22. I assembled a Technics system. Left that behind when I emigrated. Messed around with a couple of all-in-one systems (junk, really) then went all in a few years ago with a mixture of vintage and modern.

camerakid likes this.
  8. ScottFan355

ScottFan355 Active Member

My mom used to search my room to find 'stuff' I wasn't supposed to have when I was a teenager. After several busted hiding places when I was 16 I started unscrewing the woofers off my speakers and stashing everything in there. I'm sure it frustrated her to no end to no longer be able to find anythind :)

9. 1984_C10

1984_C10 Active Member

I started a few years ago when i was 17 and feel in love with a dedicated system one of my grandfather's friend had at his house, most of it was vintage gear by Pioneer and he had a modern pair of Yamaha towers (NS-555, NS-777? Not sure which, but it was one of those...).
    My first receiver was (and still is) the Denon AVR-1602, nothing fancy.

Nightwisher likes this.
  10. BobHol

BobHol Old fart Subscriber

Hate to split hairs but when I bought my first good stereo system after I graduated from College I was not collecting. I bought them to play records and listen to radio. When they had problems or got ruined I got rid of them. Never had more than one of anything. Eight years ago I did start collecting, and now I have multiple pieces of equipment and I hardly ever get rid of anything.

Nightwisher likes this.
  11. hunter00

hunter00 Super Member

1973 for me,,I was driving my dad crazy when I first discovered the garrard turntable in our family Electrohome console stereo{tube}and started going into town to buy records.When he had enough he coverted a large old unused bathroom in the farm house into a bedroom so I could have my own stereo and space to play music that was on the opposite side of the house from their bedroom as I liked my music loud.My first sytem was SS harmon Kardon,still own the reciever
    I still blame my tube addiction on that that old electrohome console..

hunter

Nightwisher likes this.
  12. Amon Guinn

Amon Guinn New Member

Had a mowing job at 14 (1971) and my mom and I bought new stereo systems together (only seperate) called by name:Teledyne Packard Bell, Har! Mine had not only an 8 track (TOTL, I'm sure) and BIGGER (6" drivers only) speakers that ended up costing $7.50 more on my part. Hey, I was the one making the big bucks! Mom could NOT out do me because in 1971 teenagers had an attitude!!!! Anyways, that lasted until I heard my first Sansui system, a year after, and the rest is just plain silly history!

13. Freds.Bands

Freds.Bands Live Music Listener Subscriber

14. Harvey/ Ga

Harvey/ Ga AK Subscriber Subscriber

I bought my first system in 1955, a Bogen R-660 AM-Fm tuner, Bogen DB-115 amp, Thorens changer and a DIY labyrinth with 8 inch Wharfedale wide range speaker.
    I've been a Wharfedale fan ever since.

I started seriously collecting multiple units about 1995 with the advent of E-bay, and after joining Audiokarma.

15. Djcoolray

Djcoolray Super Member

When I was ten (1965), I was collecting money owed me for delivering the Albany Democrat Herald and some lady gave me her dead sons stereo equipment that he left behind because he joined the Marines. An 800C, a Garrard TT and a pair of large GE speakers that had hinges on opposite corners like they were part of a console. My uncle rebuilt the speakers and they sounded much better.....

16. srinath

srinath Super Member

2009 I was 40 at that time.
    But I bought my first stereo a sony HST 211 in 1992 a month after landing in the US new from circuit city. But till 2009 that was all I had.
    Then one day in 2009 I was approached by the white van people. I called my wife and she wanted a better system. I managed to get rid of the white van guys not even knowing what white van scam was. Then bought a infinity rs 625 needing foam for free. Was $150 but on my way there the guy said it was shot and its free if I wanted it. Then came RCA linaeum speakers, and a few 1000 others.
    Cool.
    Srinath.