When did you start collecting audio gear?

When did you start collecting audio gear?

• 5-10

Votes: 31 12.1%
  • 11-16

Votes: 109 42.4%
  • 17-22

Votes: 61 23.7%
  • 27-32

Votes: 18 7.0%
  • 32-37

Votes: 7 2.7%
  • 37 or +, please specify in post

Votes: 31 12.1%

• Total voters
I've had a " system" since l was about 13
It wasn't for many years ( probably 30 years)until l actually started to collect enjoy and sell on items l didn't want and keep the best ( probably sold a few that fit into this:()

12 or 13

birthday present from my dad
he was an audiophime and had McIntosh & Marantz tubed gear, AR turntable & AR speakers

Does a pocket transitor-type that would need batteries every four days count? Or was it one that you had to carry it on the shoulder-type?:)

Q

In 1957 I asked for, and received, a Steelman model 4A23 tabletop stereo (wooden cabinet) for my 16th birthday. My cousin was good friends with a Steelman dealer and he ordered up a special model for me. That was my primary player until after I got married. For our first Christmas together in 1962 we bought a new Magnavox stereo console. Wish I still had both of them.

I started with an AM Heathkit. My dad had finished his Heathkit AR-15 and I just had to have one...... what I didn't realize was my sneaky Dad had bought two kits. He gave me mine three years later on my sixteenth birthday. Man I was in heaven. Then I moved on to Dynaco's and that started a journey. I'm in the process of accumulating all the mods and parts to update my original Pat-4 and 410-A I've been lugging around all these years. The AR-15 came up "missing" when we moved one time but I've replaced it with a fully restored and modded unit I listen to everyday. The 6WA's were great sounding. I cloned the Speaker lab 7's with parts from McGee Radio back in the day. I'm still listening to those and they sound great after replacing the tired crossovers.

Around 22. I assembled a Technics system. Left that behind when I emigrated. Messed around with a couple of all-in-one systems (junk, really) then went all in a few years ago with a mixture of vintage and modern.

My mom used to search my room to find 'stuff' I wasn't supposed to have when I was a teenager. After several busted hiding places when I was 16 I started unscrewing the woofers off my speakers and stashing everything in there. I'm sure it frustrated her to no end to no longer be able to find anythind :)

I started a few years ago when i was 17 and feel in love with a dedicated system one of my grandfather's friend had at his house, most of it was vintage gear by Pioneer and he had a modern pair of Yamaha towers (NS-555, NS-777? Not sure which, but it was one of those...).
My first receiver was (and still is) the Denon AVR-1602, nothing fancy.

Hate to split hairs but when I bought my first good stereo system after I graduated from College I was not collecting. I bought them to play records and listen to radio. When they had problems or got ruined I got rid of them. Never had more than one of anything. Eight years ago I did start collecting, and now I have multiple pieces of equipment and I hardly ever get rid of anything.

1973 for me,,I was driving my dad crazy when I first discovered the garrard turntable in our family Electrohome console stereo{tube}and started going into town to buy records.When he had enough he coverted a large old unused bathroom in the farm house into a bedroom so I could have my own stereo and space to play music that was on the opposite side of the house from their bedroom as I liked my music loud.My first sytem was SS harmon Kardon,still own the reciever
I still blame my tube addiction on that that old electrohome console..

hunter

Had a mowing job at 14 (1971) and my mom and I bought new stereo systems together (only seperate) called by name:Teledyne Packard Bell, Har! Mine had not only an 8 track (TOTL, I'm sure) and BIGGER (6" drivers only) speakers that ended up costing $7.50 more on my part. Hey, I was the one making the big bucks! Mom could NOT out do me because in 1971 teenagers had an attitude!!!! Anyways, that lasted until I heard my first Sansui system, a year after, and the rest is just plain silly history!

I bought my first system in 1955, a Bogen R-660 AM-Fm tuner, Bogen DB-115 amp, Thorens changer and a DIY labyrinth with 8 inch Wharfedale wide range speaker.
I've been a Wharfedale fan ever since.

I started seriously collecting multiple units about 1995 with the advent of E-bay, and after joining Audiokarma.

When I was ten (1965), I was collecting money owed me for delivering the Albany Democrat Herald and some lady gave me her dead sons stereo equipment that he left behind because he joined the Marines. An 800C, a Garrard TT and a pair of large GE speakers that had hinges on opposite corners like they were part of a console. My uncle rebuilt the speakers and they sounded much better.....

2009 I was 40 at that time.
But I bought my first stereo a sony HST 211 in 1992 a month after landing in the US new from circuit city. But till 2009 that was all I had.
Then one day in 2009 I was approached by the white van people. I called my wife and she wanted a better system. I managed to get rid of the white van guys not even knowing what white van scam was. Then bought a infinity rs 625 needing foam for free. Was $150 but on my way there the guy said it was shot and its free if I wanted it. Then came RCA linaeum speakers, and a few 1000 others.
Cool.
Srinath.

Not that there's anything wrong with it, but I don't "collect" audio gear. I do have about four system's worth however. I purchased my first system in college at 19.

9-10, around the same time my brother and I started collecting, not merely buying "newly released", butt used LPs, 78s and 45s. They were called "dusties" and we found 'em all over the South Side, South Suburbs, and as far as Gary, IN.

My interest started when I was about 14 or 15. I used to cut grass for a guy that collected, he was pretty old, and gave me some speakers as payment for one of my cuttings. I bought a crappy system and used the speakers he gave me to finish the system. Started collecting LP's at that time. Been interested and collecting ever since. Took a gigantic break to raise a family but picked the hobby back up about 7 years ago. It's something I truly enjoy,

Back
Top Bottom