Votes: 35 16.4%
  • To relax after a hard day

Votes: 65 30.5%
  • To get a significant other in a good mood

Votes: 11 5.2%
  • the ubiquitous other, or all of the above: explain

Votes: 121 56.8%

• Total voters
I can't think of any time when it isn't at least in the background so I would have say all the time.:music: It is becoming more prevalant as the pieces start to fall into place. :smoke:

All the time

My audio cave is at the shop so whenever I'm working I
have music,even outside.

Usually spend a few hours or many in the cave everynite
working on gear and auditioning different set ups.

Soothes the soul....

Regards,
Barry

FM at least 12 hours a day LP's at least 6 hours a week some weeks much more. Once I get this new TT set up and a couple other things done I will most likely be listening to LP's twice what I can now.

For me music is the great motivator. When I'm working, whether around the house or at my job, music makes the day go better and faster.

In the car
Not often enough
When my 12 year old isn't blasting (c)rap and other teenybopper dreck out of her computer 8 feet away :lmao:
When everybody else isn't home

I think that sums it up pretty well :dunno:

Oh, and right now

pbda said:
As often as possible, usually while working, and almost always in the car.

It's funny that you mention 'the car'. I listen to the radio/music in my car as well, but I have the crappiest stock system in my vehicule. Sure, the car is an old one ('91) and with 180,000 miles on it - but geez, it really sucks. One would think that a 7 series bmw would be "well-equiped", but it ain't, especially in the stock stereo department.

I have been wanting to get into car audio, but my car might not be worth upgrading at this point.

Pretty much every waking moment.

Sometime to inspire myself and others.

Sometimes to clear the house of unwanted guests.

I listen to music every chance I get.

The only real variable is the type of music to which I listen, depending on the mood I'm in, or the type of mood I want to invoke. And, I like to try and "match" my audio system to the musical era to which I'm listening. I have combinations that work best for jazz, rock (60s - 06), classical etc.

When my wife and I turned 40, we both vowed to try something new and different at least a few times per month -- music, type of book, movie, experience, radio station, food, etc. As a result I now listen to, in no particular order: Rock, jam bands (rock), jazz, folk, classical (various composers, types, etc), world, etc.

At work I listen to jam bands (moe, Gov't Mule, Allman Brothers) or jazz when I need to focus on a writing project as it helps me concentrate.

Its a central part of my life and contributes to my emotional and psychological well-being as much as food, shelter, paycheck, love, etc.

All the time:

1. In my lab, at my day job as a design engineer, I am usually "functional testing something I have just restored". In other words, I'm nicely equiped in my lab.

2. When relaxing at home, my main rig is superb (triple-stack of HPM-100s and some serious Pioneer TOTL sources).

3. When restoring audio gear or surfing AK posts, my bench system is cooking (SPEC1/4 combo and whatever I'm working on or functional testing at the moment.

Without music, I would wither up and blow away.

Enjoy,
Rich P

I always try and listen when I am awake, this usually works best. :banana:

No seriously, for me music is a mood thing also a way of escaping into my own little world where I can be who I want to be. If I put on the soundtrack to Pirates of the Carribean... I become immersed in the world of pirates and sailing ships, being whisked of by some strong hero. If I listen to the Pearl Fishers duet... these men are singing over me! When listening to Celine Dion... that's me...up there on stage singing.

Do I need help...psychiatric?:scratch2:

JJ

I have a 2 gb microSD card with my Cingular 8125 mobile phone, so I always have a playlist or podcast to listen to on the bus ride to work using Shure i3C earphones. I used to have my Sansui AU-717 in my office at work, so I'd listen to digital music patched in from my laptop over a pair of Sennheiser HD-570's. Since then I've moved the amp to use in my new house, I now use the Shure i3C earphones. I listen to jazz to help focus on work - and the earphones are extremely effective at blocking out any loud hallway conversations. :music:

I'm currently trying out a trial subscription to one of the online music subscription services and I can download to laptop and sync to my mobile phone at high quality bit rates (192kb). I can then patch my laptop or mobile phone (although mobile phones require a %&*%&* mini-connector adaptor) into my amp or receiver via the headphone out. I haven't checked yet to see if these downloaded subscription songs will play over my Roku Digital music player.

I sit an hour or so every evening in my listening room with my laptop and work through RollingStone magazine's online list of top 500 all time albums - I can then download the album and listen right away on my AU-717 powering Speakerlab Super7's. Upstairs in the living room I mostly listen to internet radio (indiepoprocks or kexp.org) or digital music on H/K powering Klipsch KG4 speakers when my two teenagers aren't listening to the latest junk ^K^K "hits".

I found a Kenwood KR-5400 receiver at the thrifts (for $7!!) this week. I'm planning to use it in the bedroom to power the Sennheiser HD-570s for some listening in bed although I really think you can beat the Shure earphones and I'll be switching between - nice problem to have...

When I'm at home, work, traveling to and from work, etc, etc... I'm always listening to music.

What music I listen to depends on which outcome I want to have happen...

Scott

I'd guess music is playing in our house 80% of the time we're awake. Sometimes even let reels spin when hitting the hay. What I don't have is an office system (just a boom box and a PC w/CD/DVD & speakers). Like to work on that next. Problem is I'm on the phone there so much it would be on/off, on/off, on/off.

Never enough. Sometimes I even forget to listen to music. For example, when I'm in the car. My auto has a shitty stock stereo, so getting inspired to listen to some tunes is not very common. I think my '91 BMW stereo cranks out 3 ineffiencent Watts with speakers that sound like miniscule tin cans. It is amazing how crappy Alpine/BMW systems were in the early 90s.

Back
Top Bottom