When do you say that's it?

jt1135

After a couple of years of putting a system together, when do you stop and say that this sounds good enough? With what I have in my signature, to my ears, it sounds great. Where does the rabbit hole end.

My, "that's it" lasted about a month. No desire to buy anything except albums. Now have 3 more sets of speakers that I do not need. BLAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It ends when you decide to make it end. Many posters here do not have a horde of receivers and speakers nor are they constantly looking for the next "whatever". In fact some of us have systems that have been relatively stable for many years. I kept and exclusively used the same speakers for 20+ years. Unfortunately that run ended when one of my esl's melted a transformer. I replaced them with another planar type loudspeaker. Barring winning the lottery, my current speakers will most likely be my current speakers until I die (I'm 70).

My tip would be that it ends when you suddenly realize that many days have gone by without you thinking about how new gear might better your listening.
Thats when you are there.

I find that this hobby evolves and takes different paths and I go through phases. I've really been enjoying the DIY aspect in particular. Started with speaker building and messing with crossovers etc., and then built two tube amp kits. Lately I've been discovering headphones and impedance matching and it's interesting how different phones work with different amps and receivers I have collected. It's fun trying to get better combinations. Headphones are very cool IMO. Of course, music itself is essentially limitless which makes it continuously interesting and evolving. It's very cool to build something yourself that sounds great. Makes you want to do it again! I want to work on my computer source at some point. I also want to try recapping a vintage amp! So I guess DIY keeps it interesting for me anyway.

It ebbs & flows. Nothing wrong with that if it still brings fire to you and makes you happy.
It's when the equipment starts to own you taking over life like some addicted gambler and not the other way around.
Wait...is that another Marantz 2700!?!
(From far far away) DO buy double of everything! :D

Collecting, listening to and enjoying music is my obsession, not so much collecting gear. They keep making new music. So, I guess this will go on for some time.

After a couple of years of putting a system together, when do you stop and say that this sounds good enough? With what I have in my signature, to my ears, it sounds great. Where does the rabbit hole end.
You say that your system to your ears "sounds great". And it does, for now. Just like mine does to my ears, for now. I say this because I will dig deeper into music unknown to me. I will get better at listening. My music taste will change. I will begin to notice my stereo won't play some of this new music well at all. This will most likely require system changes of some type or it won't "sound great" to my ears anymore. When I stop getting better the system will stop getting better.
That's when it ends.

I was at this pretty hard for fifteen years so it took me a while to finally see an end.Being able to obtain a lot of gear cheap perpetuated it.I am finally at or near a stopping point.I think desire has a lot do with it.Some get over audio after a short period of time and others it takes quite a bit longer.It still has an iron grip on me but I see it would take quite a bit of money to improve what I have and given the limits of my listening area and depths of my pocket and just a desire to not go forward anymore I have finally come to an ending.

Back
Top Bottom