When is an Ariston a Linn Sondek LP 12?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most companies that do contractor (third party) work never talk about specifics they do, especially if it is easily recognisable.

I'm somewhat surprised that the parts of the video that showed the Keels wasn't edited out as Linn like to have everyone believe that everything "Linn branded" is made by them selves in house. It keeps up the romance about it all.

Yes, like Linn cartridges (overpriced Goldrings or Lyras).

624 same scrawl but with the "made in Great Britain bit". Was this a chassis too?
545, was that the Australian one or was it not? Bought by some one who bids on them all?

624 SIG N NMBR.jpg 545 ozzy.jpg,

just got another 11 Series E yesterday

Attachments

• 624 plinno.jpg
    624 plinno.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 17
624 same scrawl but with the "made in Great Britain bit". Was this a chassis too?
545, was that the Australian one or was it not? Bought by some one who bids on them all?

View attachment 1234781 View attachment 1234786,

just got another 11 Series E yesterday
I recall the Australian one having the spindle detached from the inner platter, so that could well be that one. Certainly a home-made plinth, so sold chassis-only.

I have a feeling that this is the one bought by US turntable enthusiast Michael Trei a short while ago. It was very badly shipped to the USA and the plinth and a few bits of trivia were trashed. No serial number on it because the "Ariston" label is not present. Michael intended fitting it to an early Linn plinth.

I have a feeling that this is the one bought by US turntable enthusiast Michael Trei a short while ago. It was very badly shipped to the USA and the plinth and a few bits of trivia were trashed. No serial number on it because the "Ariston" label is not present. Michael intended fitting it to an early Linn plinth.
Nice one. 6 July 2017 was the date on the image

These are 2 images I grabbed for the 6th July 2017 deck. I saved the ebay page but none of the other images.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 18
  • s-l1600-2.jpg
    s-l1600-2.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 20
"W J R" clearly readable. No resemblance to the 'scribble' signature. I wonder if that one belongs to a Tiefenbrun?

The WJR signature provides a tangible evidence that Hamish was present in the Castle factory in a management level/supervisory level. How can Ivor say that the Thiefenbruns "had no knowledge" of Hamish selling 'their' turntable? Ivor obviously never ever thought that any of this information would ever come to light.

"W J R" clearly readable. No resemblance to the 'scribble' signature. I wonder if that one belongs to a Tiefenbrun?

It is quite clear that provided the WJR initials are Hamish, then he was inspecting the decks.

We have WJR signatures on the batch of decks with low numbers up to 000095.

At present I have not seen a WJR signature on any of the batch of decks from 000545 upwards. Two have the squiggle signature and the others are either unclear or not shown. The labelling suggests they were originally intended to be sold as Ariston but if Hamish did not actually purchase them he may not have done any inspections for that batch.

My understanding is Ivor was working in Israel from 71 so may not have been around to inspect them. Not clear when he came back to Glasgow. "But in early 1971 he took himself off to Israel and worked initially as a production manager in an engineering company, before setting himself up as an engineering consultant".

https://www.scotsman.com/business/companies/minister-of-sound-who-strikes-the-right-notes-1-1286407

Jack was running a large factory so I doubt if he would be involved with inspection.

Right, seen as I am listening to the RD11E at the moment, I have lifted the sub platter of 672.
Here is a close up of the scrawl.

aaDSC06360.jpg

Scrawl.
The first bit follows the W, same stroke starting from the left not starting on a downwards stroke as most people would do. Last part looks like a letter R with the same tail as the early sub hundred numbered ones , maybe? anyone? Post 624 omit the full "made in etc" why? When it has Ariston all over the place. I know it was mentioned about maybe this and maybe that. But someone must be left alive somewhere that knows

The middle bit looks like a J. Same loop ?
I always thought Hamish got the castle bits manufactured. Then took them away to a cave where he had elves build them for him so he could have a drink and watch them do it. By the time they had built the later ones he was well sloshed so that is why it is a scrawly signature.

It is quite clear that provided the WJR initials are Hamish, then he was inspecting the decks.

We have WJR signatures on the batch of decks with low numbers up to 000095.

At present I have not seen a WJR signature on any of the batch of decks from 000545 upwards. Two have the squiggle signature and the others are either unclear or not shown. The labelling suggests they were originally intended to be sold as Ariston but if Hamish did not actually purchase them he may not have done any inspections for that batch.

My understanding is Ivor was working in Israel from 71 so may not have been around to inspect them. Not clear when he came back to Glasgow. "But in early 1971 he took himself off to Israel and worked initially as a production manager in an engineering company, before setting himself up as an engineering consultant".

https://www.scotsman.com/business/companies/minister-of-sound-who-strikes-the-right-notes-1-1286407

Jack was running a large factory so I doubt if he would be involved with inspection.

No Scottish blood then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom