When is enough,enough?

Think Jimmy Buffet is a hustler? Bah, he’s an amateur compared to Mick Jagger. He and the Stones will regurgitate anything and everything.....for a price. They’re in their mid-70’s, yet have folks seen what they’re charging for tickets for their summer tour? Ouch.

While there are exceptions. Generally the performers I loved from 30 or 40 years, ago, I'd prefer to remember as they were. YMMV

QFT

Having seen the Stones 10 times I won't be going to their 3rd "Top off the family income/Retirement tour", either.

QFTII

When is enough, enough?

That must be some Canadian thinking. In the U$A it is never enough, never enough.

I was more than happy to pay to see Hubert Sumlin and Honeyboy Edwards when they were in their 80s and 90s, Johnny Cash in his 70s, Lemmy in his late 60s, and I am still happy to see Richard Thompson and/or Neil Young any night of the week while each is in his 70s (okay, so Thompson will turn 70 in 2019; close enough).

^^^ P.S. Perish the thought that RT ever hangs up his geetar! Neil, OTOH, well, I can imagine that day a-comin'.

Something in the thread title about enough of what? would be useful.
I didn't think it was that hard to understand. When will they have enough money? When Buffett first started to have success he said, "If I make enough to buy a boat I'll be happy" I wonder how many boats and planes he has now?

While there,are,exceptions, generally the performers I loved from 30 or 40 years,ago, I'd prefer to remember as they were YMMV
As an aside, we saw John Sebastian twice in the past ten - twelve years. He does a one man acoustic show where he sings a few of his songs and gives a great commentary of the times. He's now a better storyteller than a singer nowadays.

The second time we saw him, his voice had deteriorated greatly.

He's charming, entertaining, I love his music but his voice is long gone. I can see where royalties for his songs might in the fifty years since his heyday might have dried up and quite possibly he needs the money. I'm pretty sure the performers of that era didn't make the same money the ones today do, even taking inflation into account.

I see he's got am event in a local listening room scheduled here I just might go for old times sake, but not to hear the music.

I didn't think it was that hard to understand. When will they have enough money? When Buffett first started to have success he said, "If I make enough to buy a boat I'll be happy" I wonder how many boats and planes he has now?
'Enough' in 'General Audio ' doesn't say 'When does Buffet have enough money ' to me. I thought it meant something about having enough audio gear.

Sometimes a artist/performer just keeps doing what they've always done. It's their identity. Woven into the fabric of their sole. Carol King comes to mind.
Or vanity with others.

Exactly. I heard an interview (Amrstrong and Getty) with William Shatner a few years ago. The hosts asked him, "why do you keep doing ads and records and everything else, why dont you just take it easy?" And he said "Its what I do".

Some people love what they do and cant even think of stopping.....and why should they if people still go to see them? I could care less how much somebody else makes, its really nobodies business anyway. Do people actually expend brain power about what other people do for a living?

Back
Top Bottom