When looks matter

One more addition I picked up this morning..To me a very handsome machine.This is my first experience with optonica recievers a sa5205..Wow actually shocked by the sound clarity and definition.I will be throwing all my speakers at it.

Last edited:
'Looks' always matters.

Better to have it than not have it.

Looks also adds to organization. Ya need to be organized for looks. Looking organized. :)

Unless your style is unorganized. Then looks doesn't matter. The 'unorganized' look...

'Looks' usually always matters in success... unless it doesn't matter,,, or your the boss.

But even bosses have bosses, usually, and they are probably looking pretty looking dressed for success. Unless they are unorganized too. Doubt it.

Last edited:
I've never understood the new popularity of 'black ash' or other black woodgrain finishes these days.

Saw a black-on-black pair of Magneplanar 3.7s at a dealer, and wondered aloud who would order such a combo. The dealer said something about "that's what he wanted", but seemed to agree with me anyway. It seems like having the monolith from 2001:A Space Odyssey in you living room, only two of them, so they're a stereolith. :rolleyes::eek:

For me my priorities are:

1) Sound quality
2) Aesthetics (WAF)
3) Price

I've forgone conveniences such as remote controls etc in order to achieve the first two points while keeping cost down.

I've never understood the new popularity of 'black ash' or other black woodgrain finishes these days.

Saw a black-on-black pair of Magneplanar 3.7s at a dealer, and wondered aloud who would order such a combo. The dealer said something about "that's what he wanted", but seemed to agree with me anyway. It seems like having the monolith from 2001:A Space Odyssey in you living room, only two of them, so they're a stereolith. :rolleyes::eek:

Black ash is ugly, then again, I've never cared for black Steinway pianos either. The trendy dark wood flooring also doesn't appeal to me. These days I tend to like teak, but any nice hardwood in a natural finish will do.

But even bosses have bosses, usually, and they are probably looking pretty looking dressed for success.

When you run your own business, each and every client is your boss. At least that's how I think of it.

Now will someone tell me why that attractive Sherwood receiver upthread doesn't need top venting?

Now will someone tell me why that attractive Sherwood receiver upthread doesn't need top venting?

I think the main reason is low power == less heat. That little Sherwood S-7100A is officially rated at 18 WPC into 8 ohms. However, if you dig a little deeper into the owner's manual, you will see that the 18 WPC rating is from 40 - 20,000 Hz. Using the more standard 20 - 20,000 Hz range, it's rated at 14 WPC.

The S-7100A was proceeded by an S-7100 model that did have a top vented panel. However it was rated for 25 WPC. I did read one account, but have not verified it, that the S-7100A had heat sinks on the output transistors and the S-7100 didn't. If that is true, that would further explain why the slightly higher powered S-7100 required top ventilation and the S-7100A did not.

Comparably low powered Sansui models of the same era also lacked top vents. However, unlike the Sherwood S-7100A, the low powered Sansui models did not have walnut veneer cases. That's one of the features that distinguishes the Sherwood S-7100A from other low powered receivers of the day. Most other brands used wood grain vinyl (or simply black paint) on the cases of their lower powered, lower priced models, reserving the fancy wood cases for their more expensive, higher powered models. In same instances (Marantz, Harmon Kardon), wood cases were available as an option. However, those optional cases usually had top vents, as they were intended to also be compatible with higher powered models.

If you don't need much power, the Sherwood S-7100A is a great sounding little receiver with an outstanding FM tuner. Just beware the on/off switch is integrated into the volume knob and is a common failure point. Keep DeOxit D5, or any other solvent based contact cleaner, away from it. The solvents cause the plastics in the on/off switch to become brittle and fail prematurely. Most receivers this age have some scratchiness in the volume pot and the impulse is to blast it with DeOxit. That impulse should be avoided with the Sherwood. You can read more details here.

I think the main reason is low power == less heat. That little Sherwood S-7100A is officially rated at 18 WPC into 8 ohms. However, if you dig a little deeper into the owner's manual, you will see that the 18 WPC rating is from 40 - 20,000 Hz. Using the more standard 20 - 20,000 Hz range, it's rated at 14 WPC.

The S-7100A was proceeded by an S-7100 model that did have a top vented panel. However it was rated for 25 WPC. I did read one account, but have not verified it, that the S-7100A had heat sinks on the output transistors and the S-7100 didn't. If that is true, that would further explain why the slightly higher powered S-7100 required top ventilation and the S-7100A did not.

Comparably low powered Sansui models of the same era also lacked top vents. However, unlike the Sherwood S-7100A, the low powered Sansui models did not have walnut veneer cases. That's one of the features that distinguishes the Sherwood S-7100A from other low powered receivers of the day. Most other brands used wood grain vinyl (or simply black paint) on the cases of their lower powered, lower priced models, reserving the fancy wood cases for their more expensive, higher powered models. In same instances (Marantz, Harmon Kardon), wood cases were available as an option. However, those optional cases usually had top vents, as they were intended to also be compatible with higher powered models.

If you don't need much power, the Sherwood S-7100A is a great sounding little receiver with an outstanding FM tuner. Just beware the on/off switch is integrated into the volume knob and is a common failure point. Keep DeOxit D5, or any other solvent based contact cleaner, away from it. The solvents cause the plastics in the on/off switch to become brittle and fail prematurely. Most receivers this age have some scratchiness in the volume pot and the impulse is to blast it with DeOxit. That impulse should be avoided with the Sherwood. You can read more details here.

Realistic is just about the only other brand that used real wood cases for it's cheaper, low powered models.......one of the reasons why I like them so much. My mid line JC Penny MCS 3248 has a really handsome wood veneer case with sliding top......store and "off" brands had to offer something the big guys did not and a nice case was one of the ways they did.

18922766_1548209598532315_4593966142916703704_o.jpg

18922455_1548234561863152_3497158230022278324_o.jpg

Realistic is just about the only other brand that used real wood cases for it's cheaper, low powered models.......one of the reasons why I like them so much. My mid line JC Penny MCS 3248 has a really handsome wood veneer case with sliding top......store and "off" brands had to offer something the big guys did not and a nice case was one of the ways they did.

18922766_1548209598532315_4593966142916703704_o.jpg

18922455_1548234561863152_3497158230022278324_o.jpg

I wish my Realistic Lab 440 turntable had a real wood veneer on the plinth. It's a very nice direct drive fully automatic table (made by CEC) covered with "genuine" walnut grain vinyl. It's not ugly,m but one of these days, I'd love to recover it with a beautiful real wood veneer.

Lab_440_1.jpg

Lab_440_2.jpg

I have two turntables ( I am not a big vinyl guy). My Marantz is in the front room and the vinyl wood grain is not too bad. I got the table for $25, put a new needle and belt on it for a $48 total investment. The Sanyo is solid wood with walnut veneer....I got it from the same guy as the Marantz for $15. It is really sharp.

21014089_1627601380593136_3109253744015385047_o.jpg

20935066_1627601287259812_8099236376649858289_o.jpg

20988546_1627601193926488_4988240449070526119_o.jpg

Great Design is a balance and composition of all attributes so as to maximize stimulation of the users senses. As a designer I guess I have to have all aspects clicking as best as possible for me to be happy, or even comfortable. If something is off, I want to improve it.

The BPC of the 80's and 90' and even today is basically for the most part a cop out by the manufactures. They knew it would generally be neutral enough to go with most folks decorations and styles without committing to a style or look. Plus it was easy to produce. All they needed it to be so it's "good enough". And looked what happened. Eventually everyone started hiding it away in enclosed cabinets with smoky glass. Black can be done well, and very well as seen in some of the equipment above (and my pioneer SX5580). Just not the mass produced stuff.

Back
Top Bottom