When will DVD production stop?

3db

Addicted Member
I'm guessing that BluRay is now the mainstream and has now surpassed DVD in sales. I don't where 4K falls into this realm. That being said, when will DVD production stop?

Not for a long time. There are still people using VHS that haven't made the jump to DVD, much less the leap to BluRay or even contemplated the realm of 4K.

I do find it somewhat amusing at the pricing though--I recently purchased a new release movie that I wanted for my "archive" that I just wanted the physical media. The DVD only was $18, but the DVD/BluRay 2-pack was $20--same vendor--same release.

Yesterday I was thinking about the relevance of any physical entertainment media, Music or Video, CD, DVD or Blu-ray while returning a DVD I already have. For those of us that still use cable or satellite TV we can record enough movies, and other TV programs with a PVR or Tivo and play them back at our leisure for several hours per day, All the while speeding through commercials on those channels.

Take it to the next level and cut the cable TV cord all together, Get your self a Roku box, Sign up with Netflix, etc and we will likely never use any physical media again. Much of which is commercial free too. So from a technology point we are already past the need for any physical media.

As pointed out by teal'c marketing will determine how long DVD's remain viable. I still buy them.

I would not pay extra for a 4K Blu-ray disc. It is 90% marketing hype. You have to sit closer than 2x the TV screen's diagonal measurement, 9' from a 60" screen to notice the increased sharpness. Even DVD's (480P) look great on my new 65" 4K Samsung UHDTV from 12' away.

https://www.businessinsider.com/4k-...t-away-so-its-not-going-to-happen-basically-7

It's funny savatage 73's post #3 mentions some of us are still using VCR's. I just tossed mine last week and through out the last 30 or so tapes. Even the nursing homes don't want them.

I had a 4 head VCR that even by todays standards still produced a good picture. I had "The 10 Commandments" on tape and the picture quality was better than some of my DVD's, And the colors specifically were nothing short of stunning, Besting nearly every DVD's and Blu-ray disc's I own. That was due more to the superb way in which this movie was recorded and mastered I'm sure.

Last edited:
Yesterday I was thinking about the relevance of any physical entertainment media, Music or Video, CD, DVD or Blu-ray while returning a DVD I already have. For those of us that still use cable or satellite TV we can record enough movies, and other TV programs with a PVR or Tivo and play them back at our leisure for several hours per day, All the while speeding through commercials on those channels.

Take it to the next level and cut the cable TV cord all together, Get your self a Roku box, Sign up with Netflix, etc and we will likely never use any physical media again. Much of which is commercial free too. So from a technology point we are already past the need for any physical media.

As pointed out by teal'c marketing will determine how long DVD's remain viable. I still buy them.

I would not pay extra for a 4K Blu-ray disc. It is 90% marketing hype. You have to sit closer than 2x the TV screen's diagonal measurement, 9' from a 60" screen to notice the increased sharpness. Even DVD's (480P) look great on my new 65" 4K Samsung UHDTV from 12' away.

https://www.businessinsider.com/4k-...t-away-so-its-not-going-to-happen-basically-7

It's funny savatage 73's post #3 mentions some of us are still using VCR's. I just tossed mine last week and through out the last 30 or so tapes. Even the nursing homes don't want them.

I had a 4 head VCR that even by todays standards still produced a good picture. I had "The 10 Commandments" on tape and the picture quality was better than some of my DVD's, And the colors specifically were nothing short of stunning, Besting nearly every DVD's and Blu-ray disc's I own. That was due more to the superb way in which this movie was recorded and mastered I'm sure.

Charles, I don;t know where you are located but here in Ottawa Canada, Netflix sucks as quite a number of releases come with only 2 channels instead of 5.1 I buy physical media for movies I will watch many times over and in case I lose internet (which has happened a few times in the past) . The quality in video/audio on physical media is still leagues better than what Netflix offers in my neck of the woods.

I was going to watch the Battle of Britain the other night on Directv. The sound was horrible and in stereo only So I pulled out my old DVD, the picture was better, but the sound was still in stereo So I changed processor modes. Its neat hearing all the planes zooming and firing from all angles. Amazon had a few Blu-rays left so I ordered one.

The Blu-ray arrived today and the sound and picture quality are much much, much better.

Last edited:
For many people, DVD is all they need. To realize the benefits of Blu-ray and 4k, one must sit pretty close to the screen and a lot of people don't bother with that. The family sits where it's comfortable.

Since it's cheaper to buy than the other formats, I'm pretty sure a lot of people are more than satisfied with what it has to offer and really cannot justify the added expense of a blu-ray disc. And, since blu-ray players are downward compatible for DVD's they might even buy blu-ray players because they have Apps.

But, I've seen basic DVD players for >$30 and a since basic Roku can be had for about the same, I'd personally recommend that avenue. But, convenience may trump.

And, in the end, when I play an old DVD on my 4k player on my 4k TV, I don't really feel too deprived. I still enjoy the picture and sound. And, a heckuva lot of people are a lot less critical than I am.

I was going to watch the Battle of Britain the other night on Directv. The sound was horrible and in stereo only So I pulled out my old DVD, the picture was better, but the sound was still in stereo So I changed processor modes. Its neat hearing all the planes zooming and firing from all angles. Amazon had a few Blu-rays left so I ordered one.

The Blu-ray arrived today and the sound and picture quality are much much, much better.

I have that movie in BR, and agree whole heartily, twiiii.

I had "The 10 Commandments" on tape and the picture quality was better than some of my DVD's, And the colors specifically were nothing short of stunning, Besting nearly every DVD's and Blu-ray disc's I own. That was due more to the superb way in which this movie was recorded and mastered I'm sure.

Great movie. I own it on DVD and it's one of my favorites.

Well, I hope that DVDs will be produced for many... Many more years since I have close to 1,800 DVD discs in my collection. For my favorite movies and new releases, I tend to buy Blu-Ray discs now. I do have several 4K discs, but those are only the best of the best movies and I do not see me ever replacing all my DVDs to either Blu-Ray or 4K discs since many of my DVDs never made it to Blu-Ray at this point.

A few years ago, I would pick up most of my DVDs from local pawn shops for around a buck a piece and often, fifteen discs for ten bucks, but those days are over now, but fun while it lasted. As for DVDs today, I mainly buy second hand copies at the various record shops in my local area, but at five to eight bucks a pop... Still a deal for me, but my DVD purchases have slowed down greatly... Due to the cost of used DVDs in my area, the Seattle/Tacoma area, verse what I use to pay for used discs.

I will admit that I only purchase current releases of DVD movies when the Blu-Ray version isn't offered... Like many of IFC's After Midnight and the Scream Factory horror movies releases.

To me and my aging, mid 50s eyes and ears, DVDs are fine for most of my watching needs and I'm fine with 2 channel and 5.1 channels audio at this point, but thinking about adding ATMOS set up for watching my favorite Blu-Ray/4K movies... That's if I move again.

This article suggests that DVDs outsell Blu-ray that outsells 4K Blu-ray, however; all three video disc formats sales are in decline. Streaming is killing disc sales and rentals.

Link to article: https://media.thinknum.com/articles/dvd-blu-ray-sales-tanking-as-streaming-takes-over/

For a little while I thought streaming video was the be all end all of video and was ready to put my 300 DVD's to rest and cancel my cable TV.

Not so fast. I subscribed to Netflix thinking this and some OTA live TV broadcasts would be all I need. Nope. Not even close! Even with a few other TV apps and probably 10,000 titles+ there are many programs and movies I can't find. Add to that added cost of enough internet data where I live to cut the cord and it barely brakes even.

I found the best solution is to use a combination of physical media, Streaming video, and a few cable TV channels with a PVR to time shift programs and speed through commercials. While my DVD or Blu-ray disc purchases will now be limited, They are still a very viable option for me.

Reactions: 3db
For a little while I thought streaming video was the be all end all of video and was ready to put my 300 DVD's to rest and cancel my cable TV.

Not so fast. I subscribed to Netflix thinking this and some OTA live TV broadcasts would be all I need. Nope. Not even close! Even with a few other TV apps and probably 10,000 titles+ there are many programs and movies I can't find. Add to that added cost of enough internet data where I live to cut the cord and it barely brakes even.

I found the best solution is to use a combination of physical media, Streaming video, and a few cable TV channels with a PVR to time shift programs and speed through commercials. While my DVD or Blu-ray disc purchases will now be limited, They are still a very viable option for me.

Yeah, that's my philosophy too. :)

Did BluRay ever really "catch on"?

For anyone other than home theatre enthusiasts, HD streaming is more than good enough.

...I found the best solution is to use a combination of physical media, Streaming video, and a few cable TV channels with a PVR to time shift programs and speed through commercials. While my DVD or Blu-ray disc purchases will now be limited, They are still a very viable option for me.
I agree with you in that I use multiple media sources for my viewing pleasure. I still purchase a few select titles of 4K Ultra HD and Blu-ray discs, occasionally borrow Blu-ray and DVD discs from the library and occasionally rent Blu-ray or DVD discs from Redbox. I also stream content form Amazon, Netflix and YouTube. I do not have cable or satellite and although I am set up for broadcast TV, I only very rarely watch it.

I still have a couple dozen DVD discs and find, in general, that they look pretty good when upscaled for viewing on the 4K TV. As with any of the formats, the quality of the original content and/or mastering can make a big difference. In visual terms, I feel the HDR is the most noticeable feature/improvement of the 4K discs. I also enjoy Dolby ATMOS and dts:X which are often found on 4K and some Blu-ray discs.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom