When will I ever learn!

reyneman

Requiescat in pace
OK, I admit it- I'm finally at the age where I find very little of value on tody's music charts. I've also reached the point where I am just tired of hearing my 'classics' over and over again.

I started several years ago to broaden my horizons (no, that's now what I call my posterior, tho that has broadened quite nicely:p: ). Try some new genres of music. See what else is out there. Where to start? The internet, of course. Along with print mags. Find out about those great recordings, those audiophile references.

Long story short- the recording may be great, but much of the music isn't my cuppa.

Did I learn my (expensive) lesson? Nnoooo. Had to try another of those references- 'Hush, the Angels Are Singing'. Great recording, great sound, but excuse me if this is one of your favorite discs, they wasted all this technology on boring crappy music. I am unable to listen for more than a few minutes.

My search continues, as I'm sure yours does. I'm STILL too thick to give it up and am willing to hear about your finds. Genre? Musician?

Cmon guys, give me something else to try, something done since 1990 or so. What little known gems have you discovered? Don't ask what type of music I want your recommendation for- this is YOUR type of music, what YOU discovered that is pleasing.

The roads you made a wrong turn on would also be interesting, the bad move you made listening to the 'experts'.

Roger Waters- Amused to Death
Eric Clapton- One more car, One more rider
Dave matthews Band- Live at red rocks
Fiona Apple

Ray,I hear you,buddy.Here are some suggestions that keep me
pressing play.

Dave Alvin

Clive Gregson

Christine Collister(there is not a finer female voice than hers)

Gregson & Collister

Richard Thompson

The Notting Hillbillies(Have only one album)

Mark Knopfler

Guy Clark

Chris Smither

Jorma Kaouken(Ex of Hot Tuna)
John Hiatt
Plus any blues artist except "The Blues Bros"

if you notice on the "net" Gregson,Collister and Thompson are all of british origin Best site for their stuff is www.rockinworld.com
also try www.secondspin.com

Good Luck

Alan

rey, I get the impression (although not specifically stated) that you have stuck more or less to the mainstream genres, and to mainstream values of music (production quality and mastery of the instruments, which too often take precidence over songwriting and passion). thus I am lead to belive that you might not have delved much into some of the more underground movements.

I suggest hardcore punk. be warned that this stuff (by that I mean the albums and bands themselves, not just the genre as a whole) is often easily dismissed upon the first few listenings as "just noise", but if you stay with it the rewards are many.
I am not a blues fan, but in listening to hardcore I can understand the dovoted following of blues, for the same traits that keep me coming back to hardcore are shared by blues. they are both spare, both intense, and both highly nuanced.

check out: descendants, misfits (glen danzig has actually written a number of songs for Johnny cash in recent years), bad brains, black flag, minor threat.

psychobilly might also be up your ally. it's a rockabilly/punk hybrid that always fun. imagine jerry lee lewis, but with more energy. now imagine that he had the luxury of being completely uninhibited in his lyrics. if you like rockabilly, but feel it never fully lived up to it's potential, you'll love psychobilly!

check out: the cramps (or as I like to call them, "the rocky horror picture band"), reverend horton heat, mojo nixon, the meteors.

I second the John Hiatt suggestion.

Cracker - The only newer Band I get really excited about. This is really good stuff.

Tom Waits - (some vinyl available)

Lou Reed - still good stuff.

Tom Petty - better then ever.

Late 80's/early 90's Kinks - It's not just YRGM anymore.

John Fogerty - Blue Moon Swamp is awesome.

As you can see, I struggle with much of today's selection as well.

Give these a listen if your feeling brave or open minded. Most are what could be called Metal but they are definately outside the box. Chris Duate is blues. You may also like Kenny wayne shepard. Both are/were young kids who did some amazing blues.

Big Bill Broonzy
Chris Duarte
Infectious Grooves
Living Colour
Body Count
Witchfinder Gerneral
Trouble
Nixons

When i get boarded I throw on some James brown or Temptations or Isley's. Their original recordings on the King label are amazing. If ya want more let me know.

grumpy

How could I forget Tom Waits? true genius

Ding, I agree with all your selections.

I just finished listening to the remastered "Running On Empty"
by Jackson Browne.Talk about memories from '77.

Alan

sacrelcious, I like your taste in music man. I`m a big Minor Threat fan, Black Flag, the first 2 DRI`s. Also love The Cramps. I agree there is alot going on in hardcore music most people miss, and its a shame really.

Have you ever listened to The Accused or maybe some Cryptic Slaughter ? Stream Of Conciousness was one of my all time favs in high school. I only know a handful of people who`ve heard of C.S. , much less like them.

J:cool:

Reyneman,

I will say this to you and everyone else...try some Hellacopters. These guys rock. Zen Guerrilla, Gaza Strippers are a few more to consider...

I have found that the music that creates the most emotional impact for me is Cassandra Wilson. Blue Light Till Dawn (title cut) gives me the goosebumps and her version of The Last Train To Clarksville is truly a masterpiece. I have always been a big fan of Ella Fitzgerald, Sarah Vauhn, Billie Holliday, etc but Cassandra Wilson truly uses her voice as an instrument that melds with the musicians she is making music with.
On the other hand, my Julia doesn't like her worth spit but does go for Ella, Jane Monheit and other female vocalists I get into. We both like Nora Jones quite a bit, but a lot of that is the Texas music influence.

Dead Can Dance -- Into the Labyrinth, and etc.

Pole- 1, 2, and 3 (glitch-y, dub type stuff)

Massive Attack-- Mezzanine

Mazzy Star-- anything by, hope sandoval's singing is awesome

The For Carnation-- anything

for starters

Thanks for all the inputs my AK brothers

Several of these I already own

I have ordered 6 of the titles so far

Expected someone to mention Dead F#@$ing Last-

Other inputs appreciated.

Guy Clark

I second the Guy Clark vote. "Boats to Build" will not disappoint! MikE

Re: Guy Clark

Originally posted by MikE
I second the Guy Clark vote. "Boats to Build" will not disappoint! MikE

Mike,How about Dublin Blues and his new release The Dark

Alan

I have his last two releases [very good] but there's something abouts "Boats" that's sticks with me. Great album! MikE

yeah "Boats" has that "good to the last drop" syndrome,Love the song about Ramblin' Jack Elliott,He is also one of my favorites

Alan

Reyneman,

I'm in the same jam, but I haven't quite grown sick of the stuff I liked in the 50's, 60's, and 70's.

The 80's gave me Los Lobos, and the 90's gave me The Squirrel Nut Zippers.

Neither decade gave much, but both gave more than the new milennium has. THAT has been absolutely nothing.

Almond, Toasted/MSgt, USAF

Ah, Toasted- have some Los Lobos, don't have (actually, never heard) The Squirrel Nut Zippers? With a name like that, they've GOT to be good.

We may be more similar than you would expect, TA

Reyneman/SMSgt, USAF (Ret)

Last edited:
Squirrel Nut Zipper was one of the mid nineties swing revivals also-rans. they had a hit, and then (mercifully) faded into obscurity. now personally the only thing I hate worse than swing is swing revival, but that's not the point I want to make here, rey. you say that with a name like that they have to be good? yikes man, if you see self-conciously random band names as a mark of quality, I feel it only my duty to warn you of the mountainous pile of steeming college rock shit that you will inevitably step into with such an outlook as your guide!

I'm just saying, don't judge a band by their name... except in the case of neo-dadaist band names, in which case you should generally run screaming like a little girl unless you have it on good authority that said band actually does have talent, in spite of their lazily chosen name.

p.s. just to give you a heads up, rey, if you see an album called Chocolate Starfish And The Hot Dog Flavored Water, it's actually by Limp Bizkit, so you might want to steer clear of it.

:D

Nuthing wrong with Chocolate Starfish :grumpy: Really I just wanted to use the new Grumpy face. Not a bad LP' either

Back
Top Bottom