When you first heard them, you didn't like them at all.....now you love them

Discussion in 'Music Forums' started by jdwk, Dec 30, 2018.

1. jdwk

jdwk AK Subscriber Subscriber

for many years I just couldn't get into Bruce Springsteen. Used to even mock him, but in recent years..I finally get it. I still prefer the earlier stuff, but I especially like Nebraska.....and THAT was the album that changed my opinion.

Post below an artist you never liked, maybe even hated. Then you happened to hear one particular album ( well it can be a song, if that is the case) that slowly changed your opinion of an artist, and now your a fan, bonus points if you now own all or most of their lp's.

noisefreq and dclovell like this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. jdwk

ok, I thought for sure someone would come up with something......oh well. :)

3. savatage1973

savatage1973 AK Subscriber Subscriber

OK--I'll go first. J. Geils and ZZ Top make the list. I first heard both of them when they were "transitioning" from "real music" to "money grab/airplay schlock" at the demands of the record labels (think Freeze Frame and Eliminator era). I never hated either one of them, but kind of "wrote them off" as "pop-schlock". Then I went and back-filled my library of their stuff from the earlier 70's and now they "rank" where they should/deserve to be.

But I may be picky--I never did, and still can't get into KISS, and have no use for "the Backstreet Boys of the 60's"--aka the Beatles. I have a ton of rather valuable pressings of most of their catalogue (in great shape--multiple copies of many) that I acquired along the way, but will NEVER be played in my house.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
  4. jdwk

well, I will say everyone is entitled to have any opinion they want on a band, But the Beatles were not a "boy band" as they were songwriters and really did change music. They were responsible for many "firsts" in music. Sure Girls thought they were cute, but the boy band comparison ends there Same with Bob Dylan, sure He can't sing in the traditional way, but his influence is HUGE across music, and even if I weren't a fan, I could not deny invation.

markshan likes this.
  5. peerson

peerson Well-Known Member

The Beatles were an influential band. No denying that. But, I have never been enthralled by them as so many others. I do have several of their records. I just don't listen to them. There are so many other bands/artists that I like better. Whenever I mention my records or vintage audio to an acquaintance, they invariably ask if I have Beatle albums. It is almost like they have never heard of anyone else.

Sorry if this sounds sacreligious

6. Andover23

Andover23 Active Member

I have to agree with you on Springsteen - my experience was similar. I never could understand what people saw in him with his early albums. I even had a girlfriend in the late '70s - early '80s who was from New Jersey and a huge Springsteen fan, but to me it seemed like he wrote the same three or four songs over and over. Then I heard "Nebraska" and my opinion changed totally (Being basically a folkie, the acoustic guitar did help my understanding.)

I now own almost all his early albums and many following "Nebraska."

7. mkane

mkane AK Subscriber Subscriber

Anything Windham Hill

8. tubed

tubed Lunatic Member

I can't think of anybody that fits the OP criteria.
    That said, there's quite a bit of music I developed a taste for however it was not something I initially "disliked".

9. grillebilly

grillebilly Empty Head Subscriber

Punk. I liked new wave and some of the edgier bands, but Punk was just noise. Lots of it still is, of course, but bands like Husker Du, Fugazi, Black Flag and the Minutemen were really good bands.

btomjvc likes this.
  10. damacman

damacman Blown and Injected Subscriber

Shit, I’m still trying to warm up to Bruce.

11. Falstaff

Falstaff AK Subscriber Subscriber

Pink Floyd and Tom Petty. Now I love both. Never have developed any kind of liking for Led Zeppelin though. Still don't have any of their albums in my collection. Another group i have never warmed to are the Stones.

12. DirtFarmer

DirtFarmer Active Member

The Butthole Surfers

noisefreq likes this.
  13. markshan

markshan Sir Thrift a Lot Subscriber

I hit the like button, having had similar experiences with a few bands from that era, but then I had to unlike the post when I saw what you wrote about The Beatles.

14. markshan

markshan Sir Thrift a Lot Subscriber

For me it's Janis Joplin. I hated the extreme rasp of her voice and was probably a bit intimidated by her presence. Now I get it.

jdwk likes this.
  15. noisefreq

noisefreq Well-Known Member

Had a hard time swallowing SUN CITY GIRLS when I first heard them but about the time "Torch of the Mystics"1990 came out, it all came into focus for me.
    Really great band!
    "Live from Planet Boomerang"1992 is still a favorite from them.

Had a hard time understanding FAUST when my friend slipped me a tape of their "IV"1973 album.
    But again, they really grew on me and became a staple.

I could go on, but I think it's important to understand that just because you don't like a band now, doesn't mean you won't like them in the future.
    Sometimes it just takes a little prospective.

16. Johnno_Oz

Johnno_Oz AK Subscriber Subscriber

Nine Inch Nails- The whole 90's goth/schlock/fishnet top with clunky boots deal turned me off. Then I heard a couple of songs I liked and bought The downward spiral and have filled up the back catalogue, it's aged well.